Math. Studies P1

Ollie Simbunga

I didn't like it either, simply because I spent most of my time focusing on other subjects and took it for granted. Stupid of me! I think around 50% of the stuff I did I got right, the rest is shaky as hell. I didn't even know what functions were... :dontgetit:

I thought P1 was very easy, actually. I know of one minor mistake (I used addition instead of multiplication to differentiate the fraction in the differentiation question), but other than that, I think I have everything else more or less correct. I at least feel confident that I'll get a 7 on P1. It must be said that the whole class of mine did a ton of revision in class in February and March, so I think we gained a lot from that, but I would say I am still not confident with solving the most difficult questions that I've seen on previous mocks. Luckily for me, none of those were on P1!

Well a 5 in the IA is what, about 13/20?

If you say you got 3s/2s in the exams, that's what, about 20%, so about 20/90 in the exams... If you were to put in the weightings (assuming you got 13/20 and an average of 20/90 over the papers):

13 + (40/180 x 100 x 0.8)

13 + 17.8

= 30.8%

Assuming 85 = 7, 70 = 6, 55 = 5, 40 = 4, 25 = 3, then you got a mid-Level 3 overall with those scores. Sorry, just gotta think that the IA = 20/200, and exams = 180/200 :(

• Like 1

I thought it was one of the hardest P1s i've seen,although it was still ok. Only mistakes I know I made were through poor differentiation, the final part of the interest questio and forgetting a square root is a real number :chair: .

Other than that there were some questions which were a little iffy, normally can finish a P1 in 1 hour although I was writing up until the last minute yesterday!

I thought overall Paper 1 was average.. a bit harder than some past papers I had seen, but easier than others.

Personally, my whole class struggled over question 12, that with arithmetic sequences, it was just very confusing! Despite that, I found the questions pretty straightforward overall, however I fear I made some stupid mistakes because I was rushing due to the time :/

P1 was actually very easy for me, but i did practice a lot though. I really expect a 7, but we have to wait until 6th of July to see.. It is hard for me to remember any questions in particular so I would like if someone can remind me :D

P2 was a lot harder though, but that is a topic for another forum...

P1 was actually very easy for me, but i did practice a lot though. I really expect a 7, but we have to wait until 6th of July to see.. It is hard for me to remember any questions in particular so I would like if someone can remind me :D

P2 was a lot harder though, but that is a topic for another forum...

Did you do paper 1 TZ1 or TZ2?

I enjoyed paper 1 very much, there were some parts within the some questions where I thought were disrespectful and rude (I couldn't do it). Other than that I think it went really well. Until there was a paper 2...

Guest Fiorella

So I agree with most people on here...I put all of my energy and time studying for Bio HL and Business that I just disregarded math until the last minute (well the day before the exam). My dilemma: I did not finish both papers and I just want to sit down and cry because of this lol. Paper one I left like...5 blank? I think they were all around 2-3 points...and I'm really worried about this. I didn't know the answers and I am a slow test taker so when I went back to try to answer I literally had only 5 minutes. Of course I'm not exactly good at math so I couldn't finish. I know we aren't supposed to talk about paper 2 but I should just mention that I did NOT have time to answer a 20 pts question...FML.

I think overall the stuff that I did answer was correct so that should HOPEFULLY get me a 4 or a 5 :/

Last year the grade boundaries were 66=LVL6 for P1 and 64=LVL6 for paper 2.

Assuming you left 5 out for paper 1 and each were worth 3 marks that's only -15 so you still have a good margin left for a level 6. Same with paper 2, missing a 20 mark question still means a margin of 6 points for a level 6.

It's not worth panicking about!

Guest Fiorella

Hmmm was this the weird question that was like the difference between u5 and u1 is 36 but they didn't give you any numbers? That's the one I didn't answer I couldn't figure it out -_-