Post your favorite quotes!

Storms make oaks take roots.

Proverb

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.

Samuel Smiles

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.

Willing is not enough; we must do.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.

Solomon Ibn Gabriol

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others,

a fool by his own.

Latin Proverb

Don't follow your dreams; chase them.

- Richard Dumb

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

- Carl Jung

Old love does not rust.

- Estonian Proverb

Love sees roses without thorns.

- German Proverb

Love understands all languages.

- Romanian Proverb

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

- Mark Twain

One man tells a lie, dozens repeat it as the truth.

- Chinese Proverb

Edited by Summer Glau

Here is one that I'm sure Ateeq should be familiar of...I've found the translated version ;)

We have opened the veil of the world and heard two voices

One is the soothing beautiful lie and the other the distorted truth that fills the hollows

What is right and what is wrong

Truth is always the paradox

One era has gone by and I awake in sleep

The rhythm of the universe the rhythm of your love

Dreaming cycle Beautiful Venus

The rhythm of the universe the rhythm of your love

Now in this moment I 'dance'

World Order

:mark: :mark: :mark:

by GENKI SUDO

If you can imagine it, you can create it. If you dream it, you can become it.

-William Arthur Ward

You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

-Christopher Columbus

Your life is your message to the world. Make it inspiring.

-Lorrin L. Lee

Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

-Frank Outlaw

• Like 1

"The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26, "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days." Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that.... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation, i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation, (H/E) temperature of the earth (-300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed.... [However] Revelations 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving...shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C." ~From Applied Optics, vol. 11, A14, 1972

• Like 2

"Admiring someone affectionately will give you a lot of strength for they inspire you a lot. But if you turn it into an obsession OR if you lose grip of your surroundings, it can destroy you." ~Kazuma Ishimaru (a.k.a Mark)

• Like 1

Oh my, I love quotes, finding them is my favorite procrastination technique ;) so I feel like I will be spamming this topic quite frequently :D To start, some of my all-time favorites:

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

"The moment you stop to think whether you love someone, you've already stopped loving that person forever." C.R.Zafon The Shadow of the Wind

"What makes you live also makes you die." U.Eco The name of the Rose

"As we grow old we grow not wise, but greedy" U.Eco The Name of the Rose

"Positive thoughts create bad literature. Happiness is not fit for translation." Julio Cortazar

"I don't believe in anything, Mother. You told Armand long ago that you believe you will find answers in the great jungles and forests; that the stars will finally reveal a vast truth. But I don't believe in anything. And that makes me stronger than you think." A.Rice The Vampire Lestat

"A good novel tells us the truth about the hero; a bad novel tells us the truth about the author" G.K. Chesterton

"I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything in the world" Oscar Wilde The Picture Of Dorian Gray

"Most people become bankrupt by having invested too heavily in the prose of life. To have ruined one's self over poetry is an honor." Oscar Wilde The Picture Of Dorian Gray

• Like 2

Guest Soiboist

"Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake." Napoleon Bonaparte

Haha, that's absolutely epic. It's one of those things that you never think about, but still it is so true.

Edited by Soiboist

• 2 weeks later...

Time to spam with some more quotes :)

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

Mark Twain

"Don’t tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

J.D. Salinger The Catcher in the Rye

"Anything too stupid to be said is sung"

Voltaire

"To succeed in the world, it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered."

Voltaire

"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time."

George Orwell

"It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar. What the hell does it mean to disappear somebody?"

J. Heller Catch-22

"Finally he said that among men there was no such communion as among horses and the notion that men can be understood at all was probably an illusion."

C.McCarthy All the Pretty Horses

"Beware gentle knight. There is no greater monster than reason."

C. McCarthy All the Pretty Horses

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

what are your favourite quotes?

quotes about anything: life, love, friendship, education, happiness,

anything, really!

share and inspire!

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." (Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama)

"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be "happy." I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter and to count, to stand for something, to have made some difference that you lived at all." (Passions and Prejudices - Leo C. Rosten)

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but I would just like to point out that "quotation" is a noun, and "to quote" is a verb. Although "a quote" is a more colloquial way of saying it, it is still incorrect.

• 4 weeks later...