Post your favorite quotes!

Ok, so I've been asked 5 times today to come up with a favorite quote, and I just can't pick ONE!

So I was wondering, what are some of your favorites?

Some of mine are:

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.- Confucius

Don't let school interfere with your education.- Mark Twain

Let him that would move the world, first move himself.- Socrates

Jack: Where to, Miss?

Rose: To the stars.

Being normal is vastly overrated. -Splendora Agatha Cromwell

Magic is really very simple, all you've got to do is want something and then let yourself have it. -Splendora Agatha Cromwell

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. -Michelangelo

Dwell in possibility. -Emily ****inson

I shut my eyes in order to see. -Paul Gauguin

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. -Vincent van Gogh

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -Edgar Allan Poe

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

Las despedidas me encogen el corazón. -Unknown

Vivieron felices y comieron perdices. -Unknown

La distancia es como el viento que apaga los fuegos pequeños pero aviva los grandes. -Una canción

Re men fonazis - en imastin gufi, sior! -Dimitri Gregoriou

There is absolutely no evidence that life was meant to be serious. -Me ;)

Edited by Mandiloquence

oh i love quotes! although it takes me forever to actually remember the really good ones here are a few:

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

Truth is on the side of the oppressed -Malcolm X

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

Shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll still be among the stars - not sure

The ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr- The Prophet (pbuh)

Its not denial. Im just very selective about the reality I accept. - Calvin

We do not inherit the world from our ancestors we borrow it from our children. - not sure =S

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. -Not sure

The only fool bigger than the one who thinks he knows it all is the one who argues with him. - again not sure sorry!

The Three Oddest Words

When I pronounce the word Future' date='

the first syllable already belongs to the past.

When I pronounce the word Silence,

I destroy it.

When I pronounce the word Nothing,

I make something no non-being can hold.[/quote']

oh i love quotes! although it takes me forever to actually remember the really good ones here are a few:

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

Truth is on the side of the oppressed -Malcolm X

You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. -Malcolm X

Shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll still be among the stars - not sure

The ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr- The Prophet (pbuh)

Its not denial. Im just very selective about the reality I accept. - Calvin

We do not inherit the world from our ancestors we borrow it from our children. - not sure =S

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. -Not sure

The only fool bigger than the one who thinks he knows it all is the one who argues with him. - again not sure sorry!

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. -Les Brown

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors: we borrow it from our children. -David Brower (attributed), it was also a Native American saying :D

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come. -Chinese proverb

The last one seems to be general....

Oh, and another one I like (that also seems to be general):

Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.

Great spirts always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein

(i like it a LOT, hence why its on my signature below, as well as my desktop. right next to a picture of Harvard. It was supposed to be my motivation/anti-procrastination device. ...it doesn't work too well though. :D )

My favorite Disney Quote:

We are all just children, reaching for our dreams, they're shining high above us and even though they seem so far, we put our faith and hope on a shooting star. -Disney Fireworks Show :D

and

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. -Walt Disney

Edited by cranberry_isle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known" - ****ens

It fits perfectly with IB and even more so when you are done - rest!

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." - ****ens (another quote that encapsulates IB perfectly ;) )

"If God created us in his image, he was either an idiot or an *******" - Me (or maybe I heard it somewhere and stole it, who knows heh)

"It's not wrong, it's just not right enough" my Bio teacher with poor english schools though incredibly sweet (also shows the frustration of IB)

“It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear . . . . It's like being between trapezes. It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold on to.” - Marilyn Ferguson

"I can resist anything but temptation" - Oscar Wilde

"The path to hell is paved with good intentions" - no clue (fits well with desperate IB students)

"No man is a failure who is enjoying life" - William Feather (absolute truth)

"If I could un**** you Neil, I would" - Major diss by some brit on a nameless tv show that I just had to include

P.S. I love this thread and I love quotes so thank you Mandioloquence!

Edited by blindpet

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." Albert Einstein

"Lose your temper and you lose a friend; lie and you lose yourself." Hopi Indian Proverb

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." Confucius

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." Abraham Lincoln

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." Abraham Lincoln

"All generalizations are false, including this one." Mark Twain (Although I think he stole this from someone else)

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." Mark Twain

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Benjamin Franklin

Oh yeah, and-

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sorry it's so many (that's why I've been avoiding posting on this thread), but I love quotes, and if I get bored I'll probably post more. ;)

And a special thankz to http://www.brainyquote.com/ :)

"I write a lot of songs that have religious overtones, because music for me is religion. It is something I believe in through all the industry bull****. I feel like Kurt Vonnegut; you could do anything if you play music. It is pure without being regimented. It has its own essence and there is nothing wrong with devoting yourself entirely to it. The more you put into it, the more beautiful your work becomes." – Geoff Rickley

“You know what the secret is, to be the kind of person you want to be, is to only hang out with people you like. I figured that out and it changed my life.” – Emily Haines

"i want to cry cuz i didn't make it" - my friend

"Oooh a birthday party, I bet there's lots of little girls there!" - my friend

""Enjoy life today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come." - Wanda Hope Carter

“Is life not a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?” - Friedrich Nietzsche

“In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad.” – Friedrich Nietzsche

“Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?” – Friedrich Nietzsche

“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche

"Some people are like slinkies; they really aren't useful, but ALWAYS bring a smile to your face when you shove them down a flight of stairs." - Anonymous

"I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh.

But I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry." - Anonymous

"You know you are in love when you can’t sleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams." - Anonymous

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on earth." - Mark Twain

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

"it's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." - Paul Coelho

“You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it.” - Paulo Coelho

"When each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises." - Paul Coelho

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." - Peter Tosh

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?" - Homer Simpson

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” – Pope John Paul II

“The future starts today, not tomorrow.” – Pope John Paul II

The question of whether a computer can think is no more interesting than the question of whether a submarine can swim. - Edsger W. Dijkstra

When you hire people that are smarter than you are, you prove you are smarter than they are. - R. H. Grant

"Ordering a man to write a poem is like commanding a pregnant woman to give birth to a red-headed child." - Carl Sandburg

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." - C. S. Lewis

“Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.” - C. S. Lewis

“You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.” - C. S. Lewis

“Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else.” - Ogden Nash

“What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down.” - Mary Pickford

“Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.” - Mason Cooley

“A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat.” - P. J. O'Rourke

“The future is much like the present, only longer.” - Dan Quisenberry

“There's so much pollution in the air now that if it weren't for our lungs there'd be no place to put it all.” – Robert Orben

“Nothing is as far away as one minute ago.” - Jim Bishop

“A bore is a man who, when you ask him how he is, tells you.” - Bert Leston Taylor, The So-Called Human Race (1922)

“Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.” - Ed Gardner

"I can live with disappointment, but I cannot live with regret." - Andre Agassi

im sure you guys have read this famous one from ibquotes.com...

"Procrastination is like masturbation. Its lots of fun until you realized you've just ****** yourself."

- and you help each other realize, that all the things you want to be, you already are. (someone from Dawson's Creek)

- Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live.

- Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

- Learn from the mistakes of others - you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.

I love all these quotes. actually, they're motivational quotes from those posters you can buy at the bookstore. I used to have loads blu-tacked to my bedroom walls((:

"We're all pretty bizarre, some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all." - Andrew Clark (The Breakfast Club)

"Life moves pretty fast. And if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it." - Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy."

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." - Robert Frost

"Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

"The more you learn about the world the more opprotunities you have to laugh at it." - Bill Nye the Science Guy

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw

"To be great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some of my favorite quotes from Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray

" . . . there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face."

"The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play."

"Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different."

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written"

"A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."

"To me, beauty is the wonder of wonders. It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances."

"It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But . . . it is better to be good than to be ugly."

• 3 months later...

Hello,

There are times in your life when a quote can sum up what you are going through. It can give you inspiration or the poetic nature of it can sound beautiful to ones ears.

Is there any quotes from TV, Movies, Famous People, Teachers, the bible etc that you really like?

My favorite quote is from Martin Luther King Jr.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."

Runner up is from John F Kennedy,

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what can you do for your country."

Whats yours?

DrewRow

Edited by drewrow

Oscar Wilde:

~The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.

(Can't think of an example, so I would replace the word "books" with "pictures". This includes photos.)

~Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

(This also applies to alcohol).

~Everything popular is wrong.

(Like the IB).