neilbijlaney

English HL

Economics HL / Business & Management HL

Psychology HL / History HL
Math SL

Biology SL / Physics SL
Hindi SL

Economics - I'm confused about this because i'm taking Math at a standard level .. and B&M offers me a complete theory based course

Psychology - I've done History for 2 years for my IGCSEs, thus want something new

Biology - I find it way more interesting as compared to Physics

I need to submit my choices by the end of the coming week ..

I can't really help you for the others, but if you think that Bio would be more interesting, then take it. Not only because you'll do better if you enjoy the subject, but also because Physics has a reputation of being the hardest of the sciences. (which means that, if you're not motivated, you are that much more likely to fail.)

Also, I would take History, but I guess I'm biased. (keep in mind that psychology is more 'scientific' than the other social sciences. So if you're more of a Humanities person, you might want to take something else.

• Like 1

I can't really help you for the others, but if you think that Bio would be more interesting, then take it. Not only because you'll do better if you enjoy the subject, but also because Physics has a reputation of being the hardest of the sciences. (which means that, if you're not motivated, you are that much more likely to fail.)

Also, I would take History, but I guess I'm biased. (keep in mind that psychology is more 'scientific' than the other social sciences. So if you're more of a Humanities person, you might want to take something else.

True .. But if i take bio and lets say either psych or history, wont there be too much memorising to do ??

I don't really know about Psych, but I take History this year, albeit at Standard Level, (don't ask, I don't even why I ended up there) and I've found that there's not that much memorizing to do.

I'm guessing it depends on the teacher, but it's more focused on understanding the links between events and their influence on contemporary society than on memorizing dates and facts.

I don't know that much about Bio, as I'm planning on taking Chem next year. (also, I almost failed freshman bio.)

Personally, I'd recommend Psychology over History if you mainly want to learn theories about the human mind because that's what Psychology entails. History depends on the individual. If you find History interesting - go for it. Even if you've done History before, you will learn the same/different from different perspectives because it's IB. :P

If the only doubt you have with Economics HL is that you're taking Math SL, I'd say remove it because I know of someone who is not exceptionally clever who takes Math Studies and Economics HL. No problem seems to have occurred with that combination.

If you find Biology more interesting, don't doubt it. :D That's what you should pick. Or perhaps, if you still want to do Physics, you could take both sciences and drop either Economics/Psychology and take the science at HL. That's to say if you really want to do both.

True .. But if i take bio and lets say either psych or history, wont there be too much memorising to do ??

I hear Biology SL is a pretty easy course (in that there is a lot less content than HL). So, I don't think there will be THAT much memorizing to do.

Physics, harder than Chemistry?? I disagree. From what I've heard of the sciences, Chem > Physics > Bio, in difficulty. I also have heard of Biology SL to be the easiest possible science, easier than Environmental Systems (ESS). So take biology, you are more interested in it and it is easier.

What are you applying to do after IB? If Economics, then stick with Economics, maths SL should be ok for that, just bear in mind Maths HL would be best with Economics if applying to Economics, and would be your only way into the best universities. If you are aiming to study business or anything not economics, then go with business, unless you are more interested in economics anyway, and worry not about the maths - that's only important if you want to study economics at uni.

I'd personally be biased towards History over Psychology because I love history and never got the chance to study psych, but the year below me has many psych students and they all seem to love it. It does seem very interesting, and would tie in with your biology interests, I mean, I could advise history over psychology to you but that would be because I love writing and debating - history/philosophy with aims to study Law. You on the other hand seem to be interested in Biology, which I find dull. You would have to write some essays for psychology, but it wouldn't be your whole assessment style, so if you prefer science to essays, choose psychology over history.

Hope that helps. :) Out of interest, is that English B HL, or are both at A1? (Assuming Hindi is a native language to you here!)

Physics, harder than Chemistry?? I disagree. From what I've heard of the sciences, Chem > Physics > Bio, in difficulty. I also have heard of Biology SL to be the easiest possible science, easier than Environmental Systems (ESS). So take biology, you are more interested in it and it is easier.

What are you applying to do after IB? If Economics, then stick with Economics, maths SL should be ok for that, just bear in mind Maths HL would be best with Economics if applying to Economics, and would be your only way into the best universities. If you are aiming to study business or anything not economics, then go with business, unless you are more interested in economics anyway, and worry not about the maths - that's only important if you want to study economics at uni.

I'd personally be biased towards History over Psychology because I love history and never got the chance to study psych, but the year below me has many psych students and they all seem to love it. It does seem very interesting, and would tie in with your biology interests, I mean, I could advise history over psychology to you but that would be because I love writing and debating - history/philosophy with aims to study Law. You on the other hand seem to be interested in Biology, which I find dull. You would have to write some essays for psychology, but it wouldn't be your whole assessment style, so if you prefer science to essays, choose psychology over history.

Hope that helps. :) Out of interest, is that English B HL, or are both at A1? (Assuming Hindi is a native language to you he

Thank you for the suggestion :) .. I agree History is a very very interesting subject somehow my mind seems more inclined towards psychology because If i took history i would be repeating almost all of the units except possibly Russia while psychology will be a new subject for me ..

English A1 (HL) and Hindi B (SL)

:)

Hope that helps. :) Out of interest, is that English B HL, or are both at A1? (Assuming Hindi is a native language to you he

Thank you for the suggestion :) .. I agree History is a very very interesting subject somehow my mind seems more inclined towards psychology because If i took history i would be repeating almost all of the units except possibly Russia while psychology will be a new subject for me ..

English A1 (HL) and Hindi B (SL)

:)

I know you're still at the point in your life when you're eager for the IB to challenge you and all that jazz, but seriously, having a subject that will be easier for you because of the backgroud knowledge you already have would be of great help towards the exams time.

• Like 4

I find Economics the easiest thing and most people who are taking economics (even at HL) are acing it with Math studies. SL maths shouldn't be an issue.
About History/ Psychology- I think you should do something you're more confident in to get that higher score, whether that's history or psychology

Yeah go for bio, it's also much easier...

I don't know but I still get this tinge of jealously whenever I see anyone doing Hindi SL... how much I wish I could do that rather than French ;)

Anyways, I think you'll be fine with this subject selection!

Good Luck :)

Economics HL / Business & Management HL - I'm a B&M student, and I'm just going to tell you this - It includes a lot of memorising. There is a lot, A LOT, of content. My friends in economics find it easy even though they are in math SL. However, I think business will be more useful for me.

Psychology HL / History HL - I've never been into history even in grade school, so this might be a little biased but I'd rather choose psychology.

Biology SL / Physics SL - Physics involve a lot of math. It's not my best subject, so I'd take bio. But if you do like math, choose physics!

Call me a cynic, but I always feel like when making IB subject choices you should be making choices that will a) maximize your marks potential and b) get you where you want to be in the next stage of like (university/career)

Economics HL is certainly more 'rigorous' and 'academic' than BM HL, and personally it was one of my favorite subjects.

The fact that you have done History at GCSE should be a reason FOR doing History at IB, especially if you excelled at the skills you picked up on the course. I completley understand students who wish to study something they might find interesting and enjoy, but you need to ask yourself the question of what is more important: grades or potential (!) enjoyment of a new course.

Physics SL is still very difficult. If you were doing Math HL, I might have recommended it. If you have a good visual memory, go for Biology.

In general, when making subject choices, keep these factors in mind:

1. statistics: go on the IBO site to find out average scores for each subject from last years examinations, how many got 7s, how many failed
2. school statistics: how has your school fared with certain subjects over the years? has it been years since anybody got a 6 or 7 in a certain subject?
3. teachers: very overlooked factor, but sometimes a teacher can make a subject. the more IB experience they have the better. beware of teachers new to the syllabus.
4. university/career: do you want to do a business/econ degree? do you want to be a doctor? choose subjects accordingly

Best of luck!

• Like 2

Grades are important but I understand if you may want to do a fresh subject.

I did IGCSE Economics and Geography and I am doing Economics HL and Geography SL. The experience from IGCSE really really really helps a lot. So I recommend to take subjects you already took and are very good at. It will make IB tons easier. Trust me.

Before you decide on your major HL subjects, check the university requirements. If you don't meet the subject requirements, you are immediately unable to apply for it.

Also, you need an easy subject you can sort of relax on. For me, it's English B.

Subject choices are crucial to how your IB experience goes. In conclusion: Pick subjects you are good at and you did before and check the university subject requirements.

In my inexperienced experience:

Economics HL / Business & Management HL= I take B&M. As someone above said, it's a lot of memorising.

Psychology HL / History HL= I'm not taking history, bu I have seen my friends that take that subject reading a lot. It looks interesting but if you don't like reading or study different theories that influenced WWII, maybe that is not for you. Psychology seems easier.

Biology SL / Physics SL= I take Physics SL and it is quite hard, according to my experience.

A little personal opinion hahahha

Hey guys thank you so much for the response, Its tremendously helped me ..

I've narrowed down to these ..

1. Biology HL

2. English HL
3. History HL
4. Psychology / Economics SL

5. Math SL

6 Hindi SL

Since my school offers me a six week window for change, I will begin with Psychology and then (if im not comfortable) change to Economics ..

Thanks again, I appreciate it :D

• 4 weeks later...

English HL

Economics HL / Business & Management HL

Psychology HL / History HL

Math SL

Biology SL / Physics SL

Hindi SL

Economics - I'm confused about this because i'm taking Math at a standard level .. and B&M offers me a complete theory based course

Psychology - I've done History for 2 years for my IGCSEs, thus want something new

Biology - I find it way more interesting as compared to Physics

I need to submit my choices by the end of the coming week ..

I think that it all depends on your strengths, if you're good at Econ you should pick Econ, I took Econ at GCSE level and sucked badly at it I changed to Business HL. So far it's basically a little bit like Econ with a few added concepts. But still difficult none the less. If you're not great at Econ but still have an interest in Econ you could get a tutor which helps immensely.

Psychology's great. Although remembering studies are a pain.

If you've got a good psychology teacher and you understand what she's saying you should be fine.

At GCSE level I got a D in my mock but I worked hard and boosted myself up to a B in the final thing. So far i've understood most concepts and theories in IB but like every other thing i'm not an expert, but my teacher did say that i'd get a level 6 easy, maybe even a 7.

DO NOT GO UP TO MATHS HL. Do it at your own peril. My friends do it and they're dying ;)

Unless you're a maths genius.

I don't do Bio so I don't understand the difficulty, but I do do physics :)

The IAs are fairly simple to follow and the teachers do help you. Considering that I suck at science i'm going pretty well.

If you're good at formulas and stuff go for physics, but if you like the nitty gritty stuff about snails and stem cells go for bio.

Remember it's not what your friends are doing. It's what you're good at.

• 2 weeks later...