How do you or did you go about the Math IA's?

Simran Venkatraman

It is self explanatory and very easy if you follow the steps one by one. You should read the criteria as it lists out "everything" you are expected to have in your final copy. It helps a lot really. Also try to use logger pro for graphing if you can't find a decent software.

Edited by shad0wboss

From my understanding of the new maths IA syllabus, you are expected to choose whatever topic you want to investigate, so choose something that interests you that has some maths involved.

e.g. If you like basketball, investigate the optimal angle to score from the 3-point line. (Not sure if this is actually a good investigation, but it's just to give you an idea. The syllabus guide is your best friend, especially since you're doing a new type of maths IA that not many people can help you with here.)

Also make sure the maths involved is something that you are good at - you might as well make the maths as easy as you can for yourself (while creating a good enough investigation, of course) since you can pick the topic you're investigating.

Note: I'm talking about the new Maths SL IA, not sure if Studies or HL have the same new criteria.

Perhaps you could investigate the angles or the way that DNA folds itself up into a double helix shape? I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question or what the criteria is like, so I'm not much help. Try and find something maths-related in the topics you just mentioned, and if not go for something that is more obviously related to maths.

• Like 2

Actually, that reminded me of this: http://www.nature.com/news/four-strand-dna-structure-found-in-cells-1.12253

You could investigate the shape of that DNA structure, so it'd be more interesting. Or, if it's anything like the old IAs, you could investigate the shape of the normal double-helix shape, and as an extension look at the other DNA shape.

Glad I could help! (Somewhat. :P )

Actually, that reminded me of this: http://www.nature.co...n-cells-1.12253

You could investigate the shape of that DNA structure, so it'd be more interesting. Or, if it's anything like the old IAs, you could investigate the shape of the normal double-helix shape, and as an extension look at the other DNA shape.

Glad I could help! (Somewhat. :P )

lol where am i gonna do electrophoresis to measure the dna length or in the first place where am i supposed to get dna extracted?

lol where am i gonna do electrophoresis to measure the dna length or in the first place where am i supposed to get dna extracted?

Well if the syllabus doesn't require you to physically measure something, I don't see why you can't just use a model. Although that would be more difficult for the new DNA structure.

Perhaps you could investigate the angles or the way that DNA folds itself up into a double helix shape?

This idea sounds really awesome, I personally think people should get extra marks for creativity and originality.

Haha now I wish I was doing the new Maths IA system, it sounds so much better than the old one.

Perhaps you could investigate the angles or the way that DNA folds itself up into a double helix shape?

This idea sounds really awesome, I personally think people should get extra marks for creativity and originality.

Haha now I wish I was doing the new Maths IA system, it sounds so much better than the old one.

It sounds like a mini EE to me. Same process and everything. Finding a topic, narrowing it focusing the topic etc. All we had to do was follow some bullet-point guidelines and it was sorted :) . Although making up your own investigation does seem a little tempting and topic forming seems interesting.

Well if the syllabus doesn't require you to physically measure something, I don't see why you can't just use a model. Although that would be more difficult for the new DNA structure.

Hmm.... I didn't know that...My teacher has always focused on first time experience and first hand data and ****s like that... that actually makes me wanna do this now :) THANKS A LOT MAN :D

Hmm.... I didn't know that...My teacher has always focused on first time experience and first hand data and ****s like that... that actually makes me wanna do this now :) THANKS A LOT MAN :D

By the way, I have no idea what the new syllabus says, so if your teacher thinks first time data is better than maybe you should follow what they say. Good luck!