How much Psych should have been covered in year one?

Michael Jones

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how much of the Psych HL syllabus should have been covered in the first year of study. Our teacher is quite inexperienced, and I'm worried that she left too much to teach on our second year. So far, we've learnt the biologcal, sociocultural, and developmental units of psychology.

That's a total of 90 hours of teaching according to the IB syllabus (30 hours each), which leaves 150 hours of teaching for the second year, out of the total of 240 teaching hours in the Psych HL syllabus.

So, how much of the syllabus are we meant to go through in year 1, and will we realistically be able to learn the rest of the syllabus by May?

I wouldn't worry too much. I teach revision courses and I have heard of far worse cases of what we call teacher neglect the Spring right before exams. You still have cognitive, another option and the qualitative stuff left to do so I'd say you're pretty on target to finish on time :).

• Like 1

My teacher has been teaching IB psychology for many years, and she says that she prefers to finish the entire syllabus by the end of the 1st semester of IB2, which would leave the last semester of IB2 (and IB in general) free for systematic revision of the entire syllabus. I think that's much more organized compared to how it is in my other subjects, where we still have at least two chapters to cover in the last semester. Don't worry too much, you could have a lot more left to cover and if you get any more anxious then a little bit of self studying could help with your nerves. I read the entire syllabus during the summer between IB1 and IB2, and that really helped reinforce all of the information, case studies etc. Good luck!

• Like 1

If it's any indication, at the end of IB1 my class have done Biological, Cognitive and the majority of Socio-cultural, as well as Health Psychology for the Higher Students. However, my teacher is the type to not waste any lessons (even if it feels like it's being wasted) and she likes to plunder through the course. BUT I haven't done any of the IAs - only the syllabus.

Honestly I think you're on track. It sounds like you're about halfway (you only need to do Cognitive, another HL uni I THINK, IA and analytical - cognitive and biological can be similar depending on what case studies you use) and if you're nervous, you could also do some self studying beforehand so you are more prepared for class.

• Like 1

I like to use websites online to help add to my understanding, like this http://ibpsychrevision.blogspot.sg/

Also, if your class uses a particular textbook, use that so when you come across case studies there won't be any confusion for you.

When I self-study, I write what I learn directly into concise, colourful notes so I can refer them to later. (They tend to be flashcards). Whatever note format you do it in, whether that be on the computer or with lots of pictures etc., make sure it makes it easier for YOU to learn. (Like colours is for me.)

And always refer to your syllabus! http://www.haef.gr/gr/pcl/ib/psychology.pdf

I find that in psychology specifically, we live off the syllabus. It's the air we breathe.

• Like 1

I appreciate the answers, and even though we're probably on the right track, I feel it won't do any harm to do some self studying. Do you guys have any advice on going about self-studying?

It may not sound super exciting, but when I self study for psychology I try to do ''a lot'' each time, so I usually study half a chapter every day (approximately 15-20 pages) and I read each page carefully, make plenty of notes and essentially try to memorize as much as I can (a technique that is absolutely essential for biology IMO). Methods definitely vary - maybe something else works for you, but I find it more difficult to do a ''little here and there'' because then I lose the ''big picture'' and I struggle to connect everything together.

I think it's a good idea to try and practice answering the learning outcomes (I don't know if other schools do this, but my teacher LOVES it, so I did it during the summer as well) because that way you have to analyse and critique the information you are (hopefully) actively learning, via writing essays via the learning outcomes. I remember a quote from my psychology book - Memory should be viewed as an active re-constructive process and not a passive reproductive one. Also, you should take note of the ''big'' topics that are applicable to a huge variety of questions, such as schema theory by Bartlett in 1932. Furthermore I think its a good idea to make a little compilation of studies with the names of the researchers and the date of when they were carried out (and maybe some other super basic points). It's really helpful to jog your memory right before a test/exam. Good luck!

• Like 1

As far as I know, Psych core topics should be more or less covered in one year i.e. Biological, Cognitive and Sociocultural.

Year 2 should focus on the options(Eg: Health and Abnormal) and the assessments,

and after the 1st semester of 2nd year should be revision time and well, whatever you feel will make you fully prepared for the exam :D

As far as self studying is concerned, do whatever you need to to grasp the ideas.

Colours, pictures, drawing, singing?! Anything that helps :)

And psychology is pretty interesting so I'm sure you won't have any problems self studying as per your preference :)

Edited by Carpe Diem

• 2 years later...