I'm an 8th grader and I just got a 6 in Hl math...

vontro

Hey,

I'm new to this forum so I hope this is the right way to ask questions :/

I'm a 14 year old 8th grader, i've been taking math with 11th and 12th graders for a while now and i just finished the Hl math course, did the exams and got a 6. My question is: If I send a certificate with the grade on it and proof that I'm only 14 turning 15 to MIT, could i get a full scholarship (or any sort of scholarship) to go to MIT after i finish school (perhaps only as long as i get a diploma)?

Thanks in advance,

You can always try, if you do have a system in school regarding University councellors or even just a programme for gifted people (who you seem to be ;). then contact one of those places, since Universities (especially ones like the MIT) have quite a lot of influx of requests and the requests are usually taken more seriously from channels by schools.

Usually, since its a US university they will also want SAT scores and things like that, so if you do have a university counsellor, talk to him/her

regardless of that, I would just write a friendly but formal email to admissions at the MIT stating your situation and ambitions.

Edited by Aeronymous

Not even close probably.

College applications require more than grades. You need to have active participation in school activities as well as the community.

As far as the grades go though, you will need to keep a 4.0 GPA and probably score a 34+ on your ACT to even have a chance at MIT.

Besides, they don't care if your 14 or 54. Being younger than most and able to do things older people can do simply means that you learned it at a younger age, not necessarily meaning a person is a super genius =/

• Like 1

I'm not sure about MIT, but you could try Hong Kong Baptist University. They really love child prodigies and I don't think they value extracurricular activities as much as American universities do (it's a culture thing - take it from me, I live in Hong Kong).

In 2007 they accepted a 9 year old boy who got AAB in his A-level exams, and they even designed a 5 year course especially for him.

Oh and also this just came to mind - Cambridge accepted a 14 year old boy in 2010. Maybe you could give them a try?

Thanks for all the answers! i want to make it clear that i don't intend to start university before completing school...im also consistent with 4.0s plus so far and i also took 10th grade bio, chem and physics along with the math. For now, i'll try sending to Cambridge and do you guys think that this achievement will have a big or little/no impact on whether im accepted when i also have SAT scores to show MIT? What SAT scores do you think i would need for MIT if i have this certificate? if it matters, i want to learn computer engineering.

• 1 month later...

Wow, that's impressive. You may as well mention this when you apply in grade 12 but I don't think it will significantly affect your admission chance. MIT is really hard to get into, they already assume you have good scores, you have to stand out in some way (passion for the field, etc.)

My ex-girlfriend got into MIT. She represented India in the Physics Olympiad, and while her team ranked 6th, she was the only person to beat all the Chinese students and have the highest individual score. That's the level of excellence that MIT deems sufficient for international students.

Well, MIT wont care about your SAT/ACT score or your GPA if you're a IMO/iPho/iCHO/USAMO winner. If not, then 2300+ is the norm for international students. (the accept rate for internationals is less than 4% and most of them have international awards(see list above)).

My friend got into Harvard with 2230 (he wants to study Physics), but got rejected from MIT. I guess Vol de Mort is right for that 2300+.

Remember that nowadays, the top colleges don't want people who live to study and take standardized tests. The reason these colleges ask for extracurriculars and awards is to see if you've been active in your field of interest, not as a student, but as an investigator who is willing to spend extra time to learn for the sake of learning, and not solely for the sake of high scores. Your interest in Math at an early age is a great way to start, but you have to continue pursuing your interests. Oh, and see if you can sneak some college math in there. It's always good to know some modern algebra, differential geometry and algebraic geometry and stuff...but that's all up to you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wow, I didn't expect so much discussion on this, thanks a lot everyone. My school has suggested that i skip 2 grades now (go from 9th to 11th). I'm not sure whether to accept because it will mean a lot of pressure in the next two years, my English will also be a problem.

The subjects I'll be taking are

Computer Science HL (or Math HL again)

English HL

Economics SL

Physics HL

Chemistry SL

Arabic/French/Hebrew SL

The pros are that I took 10th grade chemistry and physics last year and got 7s in both, i've already done math HL/I want to major in cs in university and Economics is started from scratch in 11th grade.

The cons are that my English is native but isn't strong enough for English HL so I'll have to get extra tutoring and I'll need to work on my Arabic/French/Hebrew over the summer.

Note: I'm in a small school so these subjects may not be available in the years to come.

How will doing this affect my college applications, will colleges dislike that i only had 2 years of high school? My extracurricular activities will also be limited (Although I will be taking a 3 year CS summer program called MEET formed by MIT students and Graduates to teach CS and bond Palestinians and Israelis through Technology and of course will fulfill 150 CAS hours)... if I took one or two gap years, would any academic related activities count toward my chances of admission (As a CS student)?

What do you guys think about the subject choices? (I would have taken Chem HL but that is not available)

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks From Palestine,

Rami Manna,

Edited by vontro

i've been thinking about it and im not sure if i can complete the ib diploma during the coming 2 years, so i thought of maybe doing 11th grade twice and then 12th grade (starting this year right now - I'm in Grade 9 atm). Will universities such as MIT automatically reject me when they see that I've repeated a grade, even though I finish school a year earlier (3 months from 18 years old)?

The reasons i think finishing the ib in the next 2 years would be hard is because of weekly TOK essays, extended essays and physics HL which will take a lot of my time.

Edited by vontro

First off, congratulations, great job!

I don't get why you can't do the IB right off the bat? Haven't you already finished some of the subjects, thus making it easier for you these two years? Sooner or later you will have to do the EE, TOK and all that.

I don't believe you repeating a grade should be an issue, but I would recommend you to start off as soon as possible, seeing as you should be able to cope with it as it seems that you are a quick learner.

Best of luck!

First off, congratulations, great job!

I don't get why you can't do the IB right off the bat? Haven't you already finished some of the subjects, thus making it easier for you these two years? Sooner or later you will have to do the EE, TOK and all that.

I don't believe you repeating a grade should be an issue, but I would recommend you to start off as soon as possible, seeing as you should be able to cope with it as it seems that you are a quick learner.

Best of luck!

Not exactly, I have completed HL Math and have done 10th grade physics and chem, but thats all. the HL math did NOT count for my diploma, i will have to either repeat it in g12 or do CS instead.

HAVE A LOOK AT MY LAST TWO POSTS.

Thanks,

Edited by vontro

Remember: colleges love to accept people who can create positive change in society. Those who hold influence, or will hold influence are people who these colleges want to invest in. By skipping grades, you are sacrificing your childhood for education, and thus showing your commitment to studies and research (which can be good because many uni ranking systems are based on the research graduate students churn out). All you have to do is show that you can use that commitment to create positive results and show that you are in tune with society such that you can spread these results and benefit mankind as a whole.

Or you can get good grades, and write an essay that convinces people that you're a shoo-in.