What do you think of my IB subject choices?

THE IBKID

all of your choices seem really balanced and well-rounded. Do you mean French B SL or French Ab initio? There's a big difference between the two. And assuming you're equal in level in french and spanish, I personally would go for spanish as the grammar and spelling is easier than in French . . .Trust me I know from experience :[ Also, my friends who take chemistry say it's really hard and challenging. I hear them complain about it more than my biology friends. So I would go for Biology if I were you XD

I know this has nothing to do with the topic and Im sorry for that, but how do you have 7 courses?

• Like 1

Do you reckon the jump from Math SL to Math HL is as massive from History SL and History HL (again only 3% of people who do History HL get a 7)?

I think that the jump from Maths SL to Maths HL is far greater. History requires good analytical skills and essay skills, whereas Maths requires the understanding of concepts which, in my opinion, either are or are not understood by the person. You can't force someone to understand why such an equation equals so and so. However, you CAN explain, in simple terms, in which year WW1 happened and the principal causes for it.

I may be generalising a bit and I have to admit that I have no idea what the IB History course entails, but I have the impression that Maths HL is a far greater strain for the students who take both Maths and History at HL.

• Like 2

Do you reckon the jump from Math SL to Math HL is as massive from History SL and History HL (again only 3% of people who do History HL get a 7)?

Hm, good question! well in my opinion I do think that the jump from Math SL to Math HL is as massive if not more massive than the jump from History SL and History HL. The main difference between the two history classes is that HL takes one more exam however in Math, the HL class does way more than the SL (essentially Math HL = College Calculus; Math SL = High School Calculus)

all of your choices seem really balanced and well-rounded. Do you mean French B SL or French Ab initio? There's a big difference between the two. And assuming you're equal in level in french and spanish, I personally would go for spanish as the grammar and spelling is easier than in French . . .Trust me I know from experience :[ Also, my friends who take chemistry say it's really hard and challenging. I hear them complain about it more than my biology friends. So I would go for Biology if I were you XD

I know this has nothing to do with the topic and Im sorry for that, but how do you have 7 courses?

Haha no problem. Well I take Art as my 7th subject class so I go to my art teacher like after school or during lunch to turn in my projects and pick up whatever work I have to do. So technically I do less work in that class than people who are taking art as their 6th subject but I still do the class.

History HL and SL don't have too much of a difference content-wise if your teacher was clever in the selection of topics you cover, but paper three will single-handedly give you carpal tunnel syndrome. Maths HL is ridiculously more difficult than Maths SL, content-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I am planning to take next year:-

English Language and Literature SL

Arabic Language and Literature SL

Math SL

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

History HL

-What do you guys think?

-Is it too easy?

-How is Chemistry HL?

-Should I take English Literature? Whats the difference? Does A1 and A2 indicate that A2 is a lower level or is it just a different subject?

I personally think that it sounds really focused and good. Some people say Chemistry HL is incredibly demanding, others say it depends on your self discipline and many say that it isn't impossible by any means. I don't think your choice of subjects sound particularly easy; overall just normal compared to IB subjects, and I don't feel like you are trying to choose the easy way out. Good luck with your choices!

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, what does the community think of my schedule for the next two years?

Pre IB Spanish 3/Spanish SL

Biology SL/No Science

Pre IB Math Studies/Math Studies SL

History of the Americas HL/Global Studies HL

English HL 1/English HL 2

Music HL 1/Music HL 2

I'll also be testing in ITGS SL, which I managed to get onto my schedule this year, my sophomore year and last year of MYP.

Alright, what does the community think of my schedule for the next two years?

Pre IB Spanish 3/Spanish SL

Biology SL/No Science

Pre IB Math Studies/Math Studies SL

History of the Americas HL/Global Studies HL

English HL 1/English HL 2

Music HL 1/Music HL 2

I'll also be testing in ITGS SL, which I managed to get onto my schedule this year, my sophomore year and last year of MYP.

I'm not sure of how smart you are, your interests and devetion you have towards school, but from what I'm reading it seems as if you've chosen some pretty lightweight subjects; I personally think that ITGS, Music, Biology SL and Math Studies won't get you far with the admission committees at the universities you want to go. But it all depends on you, your capabilities and hopes for the future...

What others have posted before is kind of imprecise. It's true that you can take two Group 1 subjects, but yet, you still need to take one Group 2 subject, this, with the intention of encouraging students to learn another language, in order to expand your vision of the world even further. Moreover, I assume you are swapping your Group 6 subject for a Group one, then, why are you trying to take also 2 group 4 subjects? (chemistry and Biology) you just cannot do that, because the new curriculum guide establishes a new criteria for Group 1, that I bet you've already checked, at least superficially. then, you should instead, to either take one as Language B, or forget about taking two Group 4.

I would prefer taking Language A: Literature, instead of Language and Literature, since you're exposed to more texts, and your language skills will grow incredibly quickly. In the other hand, Language and Literature is more about interpreting the use of language and roles, so at times, it becomes kind of dull. Here you can have a look on the guide, check it thoroughly, so you can get the picture of what to expect http://www.ibsurviva...e-a-literature/ I would say it's an easy and fun course, but it depends on your interests. If you are to take 2 Group 1, then it would be fine to take one on each category. Also, yo really should consider taking one (if not the two) of these at Hl, there's not a big difference and it adds some points easily.

It looks like you have not had any realistic approach to what IB is really like, because no sane guy would take two Group 4 at HL !!!! that's just too much work! Well, not saying it's impossible though, but you have no idea! You would need to be not only smart, but incredibly good in terms of memory and have a nice imagination! Imagine, having to read 1-2 books for Group one,plus doing CAS stuff, plus your EE, plus the TOK essay, plus your Literature works, and all that plus research projects and practices for Biology and also, more projects and practices for Biology, all that at HL! I do not want to sound pessimistic, but for an average teenager, 24 hours a day are not enough even choosing easy combinations.

And about history, well, I hate that subject because I feel it to be not "very IB", but it's up to you. If you get the chance, you really ought to consider, for example, Psychology, Philosophy, World religions or Anthropology.

Good Luck

Edited by pennywise256