What do you think of my IB subject choices?

THE IBKID

This is what I am planning to take next year:-

English Language and Literature SL

Arabic Language and Literature SL

Math SL

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

History HL

-What do you guys think?

-Is it too easy?

-How is Chemistry HL?

-Should I take English Literature? Whats the difference? Does A1 and A2 indicate that A2 is a lower level or is it just a different subject?

Edited by youssifosama

They aren't too easy (the only easier option you're taking really is Lit&Lang instead of pure Lit), it's a good subject combination :yes: Although you should also think about what you might want to do after IB as this can change your subject choices.

The only thing I'm not 100% about is whether your language combination is allowed any more. They no longer have A1 and A2 languages, only 'A' languages. You must take at least 1 A language, but I don't think you're allowed to do 2 (you have listed 2). I think your second language has to be at B or Ab initio level because they want to encourage you to take up a new language or something like that. You should check with your IBC as I'm not sure - or actually maybe somebody who knows will post after me on this thread :) The languages system has changed recently.

Chemistry is a difficult subject to do well in. I'd characterise it as challenging XD You really need a good teacher to do well in Chemistry because the concepts are difficult to teach and you need to do well in your coursework. If you can get your head round the ideas and put a lot of effort in, you stand a chance of getting a decent mark. It is an intellectual subject though - you can't just get away with putting the hours in and working hard to do well, you do also have to really know what's going on and have a deeper understanding in order to answer some of the exam questions.

Re: Lit versus Lit& Lang, Literature is purely the analytical study of novels. Lit&Lang is a small bit of analysis mixed in with some common sense basics. Common sense basics being stuff like the fact that they use persuasive language in adverts, biased language in newspapers... it's a bit like TOK, actually, and TBH if you can't identify persuasive language in an advert, heaven help you! :P Generally I would say you're a very unusual person if you found pure Literature easier than Lit & Lang! Literature is the harder option, however both are now considered to be 'A' languages so technically they're both equal. Unless you want to apply for English or Law or a subject requiring analytical skills (in which case, definitely do Literature) it's really up to you which you do.

The only thing I'm not 100% about is whether your language combination is allowed any more. They no longer have A1 and A2 languages, only 'A' languages. You must take at least 1 A language, but I don't think you're allowed to do 2 (you have listed 2). I think your second language has to be at B or Ab initio level because they want to encourage you to take up a new language or something like that. You should check with your IBC as I'm not sure - or actually maybe somebody who knows will post after me on this thread :) The languages system has changed recently.

I'm quite sure you can still do 2 A languages. My brother will be a May 2014 candidate too and he's going to take English Language and Literature and Dutch Language and Literature both at SL, and I know a lot of candidates in my school choose this combination because a lot of them are bilingual in English and Dutch. So I think it's still possible!

And your subject package looks quite good! I think a lot of people who are more science people choose to do sciences HL and Lang & Lit at SL instead of pure Lit. But like was already said, have a look at some university courses your interested in and what subjects you'd need for that, you don't want to be dissappointed later because you chose the wrong subjects and so can't enter the course you'd like to!

• Like 1

It's death for me then :o I seriously need to stop procrastinating... I say that every minute of every day, but every time I work on something I just get distracted and do something else, If I am writing an essay on WWII for example you'd find me drifting into reading about some weird battle or something on WWII, when the essay is supposed to be handed in the next day! Its JUST CRAZY!

It's death for me then :o I seriously need to stop procrastinating... I say that every minute of every day, but every time I work on something I just get distracted and do something else, If I am writing an essay on WWII for example you'd find me drifting into reading about some weird battle or something on WWII, when the essay is supposed to be handed in the next day! Its JUST CRAZY!

You'll get over it, you'll see. It's not like you'll stop procrastinating all of the sudden but you'll limit it out of pure necessity. When you'll have really strict deadlines, you'll force yourself to work, no matter what.

Of course, you may not have this amount of self-control and fail big time but I don't think it's so common. :P

• 2 weeks later...

This is the subjects I'm planning on taking for IB:

Swedish Lit SL

Spanish HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

+ Biology 2 (Swedish course)

+ Latin 2 (Swedish course)

I'm dead, right? I don't want to take four HL:s, but I have to if I'm going to take Maths HL (Stupid rule!)

Latin is a breeze and biology is only a couple of labs and two tests. I'm going to Spain next year to study there for a year, and I can probably manage Spanish HL after that (Hopefully!). My dad's a doctor in Physics and Maths, so I can always ask him when it gets hard.

Still, it's probably too hard. What do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...

Swedish Lit SL

Spanish HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

I'm dead, right? I don't want to take four HL:s, but I have to if I'm going to take Maths HL (Stupid rule!)

Latin is a breeze and biology is only a couple of labs and two tests. I'm going to Spain next year to study there for a year, and I can probably manage Spanish HL after that (Hopefully!). My dad's a doctor in Physics and Maths, so I can always ask him when it gets hard.

Tjenare, Sofia! That's a sweet combo! With good grades you can become whatever you like. Gl hf

But do you have to attend extra classes since you are doing 8 subjects? School from like 08:00 to 17:00 every day?

Swedish Lit SL

Spanish HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

Physics, math, and chemistry is a tough HL combination. It is doable though! How come you're forced to take 4 HLs? If you are fluent or almost fluent in Spanish, then taking 4 HLs probably won't be that big of a deal, but if you struggle in Spanish right now (before going away for a year) then you may find it too challenging.

Other than that, your subjects seem OK. Good luck! :gluck:

Hello!

I just started using the IB survival.

I would like to share my IB sujbects which I will choose for next year, and I want your opinion/ thoughts on it!

• Language A : English SL
  • Language B: Swedish HL
  • Humanities: Economics HL
  • Science: Physics HL
  • Science: Chemistry SL
  • Mathematics SL

​So what do you think?

How is Physics HL? is it very difficult?

Should I take Math. HL? and is that difficult as-well?

Do you think those choices are fine to get me into a good university ?

Thank you guys! and Please feel free to share your subjects !

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

The subjects I like to take the next year. What do you think about my choice?

English B HL

German A1 HL

History HL

French SL (or maybe Spanish?)

Biology SL (Chemistry??)

Mathematics SL

Well, you cant talk about a choice, i really dont have a idea what to choose. I have to take English+German HL and Maths SL :(

all of your choices seem really balanced and well-rounded. Do you mean French B SL or French Ab initio? There's a big difference between the two. And assuming you're equal in level in french and spanish, I personally would go for spanish as the grammar and spelling is easier than in French . . .Trust me I know from experience :[ Also, my friends who take chemistry say it's really hard and challenging. I hear them complain about it more than my biology friends. So I would go for Biology if I were you XD

• Like 1

Hey!

The subjects I like to take the next year. What do you think about my choice?

English B HL

German A1 HL

History HL

French SL (or maybe Spanish?)

Biology SL (Chemistry??)

Mathematics SL

Well, you cant talk about a choice, i really dont have a idea what to choose. I have to take English+German HL and Maths SL :(

You're basically choosing the same subjects as I have! (Except substitute English B for A2 and German for Swedish). As far as the B languages go, they're super easy. I presume you're planning on French B and not ab-inito? English B should be a breeze for anyone doing IB in English.

Biology SL is easy as well, I don't take Chemistry so I can't speak for that, but most of my friends find it harder than Bio.

If you're daring I'd say go for Bio HL so you have 4 HLs. Considering that English B is one of them, I think it's definitely manageable. If I could go back and re-choose, I'd take it!

History HL really depends on the teacher, but be prepared to start reading A LOT and EARLY. If you're aiming for the higher grades, make sure you understand historiography from the beginning and you'll be fine!

• Like 1

Thats one of my first post and its really cool to get good answers so fast, thank you :)

Yes, French B or Spanish ab initio.. The problem is that i'm in Costa Rica for 5 months (now!! ;D), so my Spanish is sort of good and i think it would be very boring to do ab initio.. For sure French would me more difficult but I don't want to forget everything I've learned and I really like it.. :/ Is it that hard?

Yeah okay, im going for Biology !! :)

My school dont allows me to take 4 HLs, is that possible at your school?

History: Thanks, I will ;)

Do you reckon the jump from Math SL to Math HL is as massive from History SL and History HL (again only 3% of people who do History HL get a 7)?

At my school you don't have the chance to choose that much:/ We have to take German+ English and History or Physics as HL..I'm totally mess in Physics and really like History, well most of the time:)..

Yeah I heard about that :( Will be lots of work!!