Type I - Lacsap's Fractions

vivo per lei

if you could figure out the pattern for the previous rows, you must know about the next row. it's the same pattern.

please ask more specific questions if you want me to explain. I can't be explaining the whole thing because I already did in the beginning of this thread. please be specific so I know how to help you.

Okay I'm sorry if this seems redundant (I read the whole thread and I've seen a couple people ask about this yet I can't understand it still), but how exactly do I plot En(1) against n?

I'm so technologically inept and my GDC hates me.

Help would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Holy **** took me a good week to figure it out with some hints >.<

It's actually easy after you figure out the best principle to use...

As Desy said, we can't do the maths for you only hint you in the right direction.

Hint: think Gauss or sequences. Excell has some neat options for graphs as well, explore them when plotting n and r... Hope you get the drift without me saying too much.

Edited by Austin Glau
don't aviod the swear filter
  • Like 1

I need help!!!

The thing is, I have to do my portfolio on the "lacsap's fractions". I've done some of the questions, I found a general statement for the numerators and completed the triangle with the sixth and seventh rows.

Problem is, I can't find a general statement for the denominators (Ok, that's a lie, I found one but it doesn't work). I noticed that the denominators increase by 2, then 3, then 4, but diagonally (with all seven rows, there is a total of 6 diagonals, 7 if you count the 1's at the beginning). I found a general statement for each diagonal, considering the position of the denominator (diagonally), but not a general one.

If somebody please! could help me, I'd thank you a lot. Am I going in the right direction?? or maybe I need to consider the rows instead of the diagonals?? although I feel that using the rows, in the case of the denominators, makes the problem a bit more complicated.

I'm attaching the document with the triangle.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

first of all please remove all your equations. if you want you can PM them to me and I'll inform you tomorrow if your equations are correct (everything). sorry I can't make it now because I'm so tired and sleepy. in the meantime check this thread http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/14107-type-i-lascaps-fractions/ or just read that and if you still can't get the right general statement, PM me all those equations and I'll tell you if they're correct or not.

some sense of certainty does reassure.

first of all please remove all your equations. if you want you can PM them to me and I'll inform you tomorrow if your equations are correct (everything). sorry I can't make it now because I'm so tired and sleepy. in the meantime check this thread http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/14107-type-i-lascaps-fractions/ or just read that and if you still can't get the right general statement, PM me all those equations and I'll tell you if they're correct or not.

some sense of certainty does reassure.

I'll check the post and tell you what happens. Thanks ! And I just removed them, thank you !

find each value of E first. then, what software do you want to use? in TI tabulate it first in the spreadsheet and then plot them.

One Question: I need to find the limitations of the general statement. I'm not really sure how to do that :S

Off Topic: Desy Glau, thanks for being awesome :D without you I probably would have handed in a blank IA!

• Like 1

hey thanks, I appreciate it :)

for the limitations, there's not much other than the domains of n and r. then if you notice in the triangle for the first row there are only 2 elements, 2nd row only 3 elements, 3rd row only 4 elements, and so on and so forth, what can you say about the relationship between r and n? last you could just point out that the denominator cannot be zero but anyway in the general formula the denominator is always positive so not to worry. that's all, I think :S unless somebody could give some more hints?

hello guys, I'm getting a lot of PMs from many of you and I swear to God you guys are basically asking the same questions and I don't like having to repeat explanations, so let's just use this thread for any future query. PM me only if you want to check the general statement (whether what you get is right or wrong).

my advice for you right now is:

all clues i have are in the thread (please read this whole thread or at least the first few pages). observe each diagonal (for each value of r) and find the mini-general statement for the denominator in each diagonal in terms of n. then after you get it for like 5 values of r, generalise it further to get a statement in terms of n and r.

any further query should be addressed here and I reckon you guys will be asking more or less the same thing anyway so yeah.

good job! generalise basically means.....generalise. lol. it's like when you have many equations for various values of r. but you only found for some values of r, not for every number. but doing it for every number will drive you nuts therefore you are asked to give some examples and then generalise it, make them to be in terms of r. a random example:

when r=1, y=x+2

when r=2, y=2x+4

when r=3, y=3x+8

when r=4, y=4x+16

now you have to "generalise" it. can you see the pattern? the general equation, or the general statement for all values of r is y=rx+2r. I hope this makes sense.

do you know what to do now? you are almost done :) good luck with this IA! :gluck:

I'm slightly confused with this because I get up to this same point, but when I attempt to plug it back in to check my work, I don't get a fraction, or the right answer... Help me please!