Which is the hardest/easiest IB class?

whippersnapper

someone wanna do me? haha. i start the program next year, but this is what i plan on signing up for-

HL history- americas

HL english A1- lit or lang&lit, not sure which yet

HL biology

HL/SL spanish B*

SL social & cultural anthropology

SL math studies

just want to clarify i'm NOT a math/science person. especially math! :)

*i really really love spanish and i really want to major in it. i am not fluent. i am currently in SL1 with an A. this is my only area of confusion because i know lots of natives take HL B rather than A2 and i don't want that to mess with my exam score

hard/easy/med/doable?

History HL is tough as hell. But its a REALLY interesting subject.

I'd say its doable. But i think yu should raise it up a notch. Math Studies does not work well for colleges. Especially in the States. Math SL is manageable. i would recommend that you switch to SL math.

someone wanna do me? haha. i start the program next year, but this is what i plan on signing up for-

HL history- americas

HL english A1- lit or lang&lit, not sure which yet

HL biology

HL/SL spanish B*

SL social & cultural anthropology

SL math studies

just want to clarify i'm NOT a math/science person. especially math! :)

*i really really love spanish and i really want to major in it. i am not fluent. i am currently in SL1 with an A. this is my only area of confusion because i know lots of natives take HL B rather than A2 and i don't want that to mess with my exam score

hard/easy/med/doable?

History HL is tough as hell. But its a REALLY interesting subject.

I'd say its doable. But i think yu should raise it up a notch. Math Studies does not work well for colleges. Especially in the States. Math SL is manageable. i would recommend that you switch to SL math.

well that's good to hear about history because it is a required HL along with english at my school haha. thanks for the advice although i am unable to do standard because to do that i would have had to take math analysis this year, and i am in algebra 2! (i still wouldn't choose standard though. i am legitimately horrible at math haha)

• 4 weeks later...
Hardest are math and physics HL.

That statement concerns me. Are Maths HL and Physics HL the most time-consuming subjects, the most difficult subjects conceptually, or all of the above? After a few weeks of the IB experience, I'm finding Maths the most time-consuming, Latin the most challenging, and history is drowning me in content that I can barely see my way out of. I'm definitely going to drop Maths or Physics, or maybe even both, but that leaves me with 3 essay-writing subjects - which could lead to my downfall.

That's very doable. English A1 and History at Higher Level are both rumoured to be quite demanding subjects with high workloads, but if you are good at writing analytical essays, they shouldn't be a problem. I do Biology HL, and it's quite easy. This is all, however, subjective as not everybody has the same strengths and weaknesses.

In biology and history you should really have good notes, as there is quite a lot of stuff to remember!

For spanish, it's good to practice the languages outside of school; reading books and watching movies in Spanish, maybe get a Spanish-speaking pen-pal or something will help.

Maths SL is very doable if you have any talent for maths whatsoever. Theatre on the other hand might be quite hard, but as you mentioned acting as one of your CAS-activities I assume that you have previous experience.

The general consensus seems to be that the hardest classes are HL Maths/Physics(/Chemistry) and the easiest ones Math studies and Biology SL.

Your subject combination should be fine, as long as you are willing to do all the work.

EDIT: My easiest classes so far are Biology and Maths, while the hardest one is Swedish Lit...

Is Maths HL doable if you're good at maths or do you have to be a math genius?

Is Maths HL doable if you're good at maths or do you have to be a math genius?

Well I'm good at maths, but it just took me months to realize that it will not take me far, I mean I understood all the topics but one thing is to understand them and another one is to know how to solve problems about them. That's why my teacher gave me around 20 exercises for homework per day, sadly I couldn't keep up with it because of all the other stuff I needed to do :S

But anyway, no you do not need to be a math genius, you just need to practice and practice a lot. Do past papers and get used to those IB Math HL questions because they are awful hard, and also because it will save you precious time during the papers.

If you are planning to do Maths HL take into consideration that it will demand most of your time, and I will only recommend you to do it if you are going for a mathematics-related career.

:D

• Like 1

If you are planning to do Maths HL take into consideration that it will demand most of your time, and I will only recommend you to do it if you are going for a mathematics-related career.

Thanks! :D I don't really know what I want to work with.. I really like maths, but I don't know if it would be worth it to study HL because of that.

Oh history. I don't know if it's just hard, or if I'm scared because all my time spent on Chemistry and Biology.

I feel that there's a lot of stuff missing in SL Chemistry and Biology... I'm doing SL biology and a lot of what we cover is not in the syllabus, but we need to know it for university. Chemistry HL isn't that bad- I'm not happy with my mark but I'm doing better than I did in Math SL (before the exam). But Math SL is definitely doable.

I'm not taking physics, but I hear that it's hard, even SL.

In general, (I'm not sure if it's just me though), I think it's much harder to guarantee a 7 in history or English, but the work load seems less (except for IAs and the odd essay) compared to the sciences. So it depends on what you mean by hard...

Personally I think that HL Economics is one of the easier course due to the inflation rate if you are looking for an easy HL course, but honestly its all about what you like. Theoretically you tend work harder and get the highest marks in whatever catches your interest, unless you are me and is currently suffocating with the new English HL curriculum. :dash: I apologize but I really hate my English class

These are the courses I plan on taking next year, although nothing is decided yet. Do you guys think I'll survive? ;) And also if someone could give me advice on what would be wisest to choose, bio or business HL, I'd be grateful. Sure, I know it has to be my decision, but I could use some help ;)

Economics HL

Math HL

Biology or Business and Management HL

Swedish SL

English SL

I'm not sure if my courses are too hard or not, and I'd sure appriciate some help :) right now

I want to take:

Swe lit SL

Spanish SL/HL

History SL

Chemistry SL

Physics HL

Maths SL/HL

I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, so maybe HL would be to hard? I might go to spain next year to study there for a year, but I don't really know if I'll learn what it takes :S And the same goes for maths - sure, I'm good at it now but I don't know if I can do HL. What do you think? :/

I think that that advice for Maths HL is pretty sound, but there are some degrees in some universities that ask for HL maths (and a 7 in HL maths! eek!). I'm not from the UK, but I was looking at the LSE economics degree, and they ask for a 7 in HL maths, but not necessarily economics as an IB subject. I think it's also true for the top-tier universities in the UK, if the other topics here are anything to judge by. And here I was thinking that economics wasn't too mathematical, because our economics teacher goes "geography is more mathematical than economics"... But it might also just be to try and ascertain which candidates are "high-quality" or not. For engineering or accounting, maths HL might be good as well. I'm trying for Maths HL right now, and it is proving an "intellectual challenge", but I'm not sure I even want to go vaguely near a maths-related career - and it's also true that Maths HL takes up a lot of time.

In terms of my own subjects, I'm finding Geography and English rather easy (for now) because I don't mind essays. History is fun, but content-heavy, and Latin and Physics are quite challenging but very, very fun classes for me. Maths HL is fun as well, but I definitely agree it is one of the hardest IB subjects. We haven't hit the HL content in Physics yet because we're a combined SL/HL class.

So maybe the best general advice is to see how your subjects balance out, and which subjects seem achievable and fun! Which is advice that I should probably take up myself... Now back to writing that history essay that our teacher says is due on Christmas eve...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if my courses are too hard or not, and I'd sure appriciate some help :) right now

I want to take:

Swe lit SL

Spanish SL/HL

History SL

Chemistry SL

Physics HL

Maths SL/HL

I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, so maybe HL would be to hard? I might go to spain next year to study there for a year, but I don't really know if I'll learn what it takes :S And the same goes for maths - sure, I'm good at it now but I don't know if I can do HL. What do you think? :/

For HL spanish, you'll need to write and read a lot, and be rather fluent in spanish.

I'd say, physics and maths wil be your hardest choices, maths HL, is really hard, i dont recommend it, unless you're very good at maths.

Physics is also very hard but if you do like the subject then you'll be fiiiine :)

• Like 1

Is it necessary to take english as a subject? I'd really like to take it, and it would probably be useful, but it would mess up my subjetcs. What do you guys think? :)

I think that English is always quite a useful subject, considering its position as one of the most predominant global languages. It would be especially useful if you want to study/work in an English speaking language. But if you are really passionate about your other subjects, and think that the benefit of taking English is less than taking your current subject choices, then you should stick with your choice. Personally, I would take English as the second language, but obviously I'm not you :)

• Like 1

This is what I am planning to take next year:-

English A1 SL

Arabic A2 SL

Math SL

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

History HL

What do you guys think?

Is it too easy?

How is Chemistry HL?

History HL is a lot of reading, lots of writing. The exams are crazy long. (But it's interesting, if you like history)

Chemistry HL and Math SL are ok. I'm not good at those subjects, and I think they're doable. (Math SL for sure, because I took the exam last year)

I hear Biology HL is easy, but I'm taking Bio SL and it's taking up ALL my time... :/

Right now, I want to choose these subjects:

Swe lit SL

Spanish SL

History SL

Chemistry HL

Physics HL

Maths HL

But then my teacher told me I had to take an extra HL course in case I would drop HL Maths.. Which one do you guys think I should choose? Or should I drop HL Maths?

Where's the English? I thought you need to take English?

Erm... take history HL and drop maths HL if you don't need it for university admission