Filling up the Petrol Tank

faerie123

I've been redoing the IA when writing it on the computer and now I think I have misunderstood the term "effective litres".

For A, I've calculated that it spends 4,48l on a 80km journey, all of them are effective litres and they cost $1,00 each, so the cost per effective litre is supossed to be $1,00

For B, I have this:

80 kilometres of normal journey: 5,12l of fuel spent

10 additional km for petrol station: 1,07l spent (I suppose the long journey is on Highway and the one to the petrol station is done inside town, so it spends more petrol per kilometer)

So for this, what are the effective litres for B? 5,12? I've also thought that if the Jetta II tank hast a 55l cappacity, you can do 10 trips, 9 of them spending 5,12l and the first one using 5,12+1,07l, so a total of 52,27l are spent, with 51,2 effective ones. The cost of the 52,27 litres is $51,23.

How can I calculate the effective litre cost from this? 51,2/51,23=$0,999?

I'm stuck with this. If I had this assumed, I think the rest of the IA is affordable, but I'm lost with this. Help will be really apreciated.

NOTE: as you see, here in Spain we use the comma (,) as decimal separator, instead of the point (.). Sorry for this :guilty:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days?

The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg

I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW.

I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed.

Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route)

therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy.

I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper.

The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

Dude i cant see the pic u posted!

Isn't cost per effective liter just the price of petrol in $/L?

Because, let's say you have 2 cars:

Fuel economy of car 1 = 15km/L

Fuel economy of car 2 = 20km/L

Car 1 travels distance 100

Car 2 travels distance 100 plus another 10 km

The price of petrol for Car 1 is 1$/L

Price of petrol for Car 2 is 0.98$/L

Effective Litres Car 1 = 100 / 15 = 6.6667 L

Effective Litres Car 2 = (100+10) / 20 = 5.5L

Cost Car 1 for those effective Litres = 6.66667 * 1 = $6.66667

Cost Car 2 for thos effective Litres = 5.5* 0.98 = $5.39

Cost per effective litre Car 1 = 6.6667 / 6.66667 = 1$/L = price 1 of fuel

Cost per effective litre Car 2 = 5.39 / 5.5 = 0.98$/L = price 2 of fuel

Edited by Dylan Mendonca

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble figuring out the model for bullet point 6. My E1 and E2 equations do not include the fuel efficiency of cars or the tank capacity as they cancel out when deducing it. I assume that they both start off the journey with a full tank and fill their cars until full capacity again. Can anyone please give me a hint on how to include fuel efficiency and tank capacity in my equations for E1 and E2 ??

Hey, I want to ask if anyone found the cost per effective liter for Arwa to be P1 . since the effective liters are those needed to travel the normal route and Arwa didn't travel any extra distance therefore all of her consumed liters are effective liters, and each liter cost P1 , therefore the cost per effective liter for Arwa is P1.

Is this true ?

Hey, I want to ask if anyone found the cost per effective liter for Arwa to be P1 . since the effective liters are those needed to travel the normal route and Arwa didn't travel any extra distance therefore all of her consumed liters are effective liters, and each liter cost P1 , therefore the cost per effective liter for Arwa is P1.

Is this true ?

I got the same thing as you but i think both equations (or at least E2) have to take into account the fuel efficiency and tank capacity of the car they are driving otherwise the model would apply for any car, which shouldn't be the case. The question is how to include fuel efficiency and tank capacity in the equation?

For E2, I did the normal route distance (lets say 100km) divided by Bao's fuel efficiency to get the effective litres. Then to get the cost per effective litre, i did the cost of petrol when he travels the normal route + the extra distance divided by effective litres. But writing that in algebraic form cancels out the fuel efficiency of bao which shouldn't be the case. I'm wondering whether i should not assume that he fills up to a full petrol tank for the cost of petrol and just fill up a certain amount or something based on his fuel tank capacity? Any help would be appreciated :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please explain the cost per effective litre?

what i did was that i calculated the fuel needed for Bao to travel on a normal route which gives the effective litres. Since he pays 0.98 for the normal route and extra distance he travels, i took that and divided it by his effective litres.

Am i on the right track?

Hello. I've got a general question: does bullet points suppose to be elaborated in order provided in the task or can I mix them?

And now rather more specific one but directly connected with the previous one: what is your opinion on the meaning of "the better deal". Because what I figured out is comparison of two options for a given motorist, claiming whether he gained or lost and comparing the outcome to the other motorist. The higher gain/the lower loss = better deal. But this is how I understand the method of effective litres so I certainly misunderstood something.

can you please explain part 1 in detail??

i don't even understand whats going on....

Hello,

Do you mean the parameter part?!1

The parameters of the vehicle you should consider

1- speed - top speed and acceleration-

2- Weight

3- engine output (power and torque)

4- Fuel consumption - refers to the relationship of the fuel and the distance- eg. one litre of petrol make you travel 50 km/h. < just an example lol

The parameter of the vehicle you are to determine you will need to determine the fuel tank capacity i.e. the petrol tank in this model.

There are usually three parameters:

1- The Emergency stock: This means the fuel that you require in the tank before going to get another supply of fuel.

2- Lead time for supply: The time required to go the petrol station to get supply of petrol <<< Don't think it is required in the modelling. But you can consider it. However, the third parameter will take into consideration this one.

3- The Lead-time stock: This is the amount of petrol required to operate the vehicle while you are on the way to the station.

1 and 3 are the most important thing because the minimum storage of fuel is the sum of The emergency stock and the lead-time stock

You also need to take into consideration the size of the vehicle (weight including passenger and any other cargo). for example 10-15 litres of fuel is enough for a bike. Or even more. a Car will have a bigger tank. The truck will have a bigger one. If you understand what I mean.

I am just starting this IA and only was thinking about fuel economy and fuel tank capacity as parameters. I am kind if confused where the other parameters such as speed, weight, and engine capacity come into play.

Also I think I understand why the emergency and lead stocks are important, because they help you calculate how often each car needs to visit the gas station. Do you just multiply this by your equation for each cars gas cost?

Any suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I just began to write this essay and I have a week to complete it. I noticed that nobody commented on the second part of the IA. The problem is; okay it is easy to determine the parameters, but I am having a hard time in question 2. I only included fuel consumption and found a linear equation. Equations I have are:

For Arwa: 0.088x * p1 where x is the distance vehicle has to travel

and

For Bao: p2 * ((1.8x + 8.8d)/100) where again x is the same distance the vehicle has to travel.

Am I on the right track or am I doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stuck as well. When investigating who is getting the better deal, can we define this however we like? I am trying to work out a formula that incorporates p1 for Arwa such that f(p1) increases as p1 increases and for Bao f(p2,d) such that f(d) increases as d increases (as we waste money going back) and f(p2) increases as the price goes up. The best deal will be the one that has the lowest "real cost per L" value.

Am I complicating things?

• 2 weeks later...