Filling up the Petrol Tank

faerie123

Confused about the cost per effective liter...

Is it the total cost of fuel divided by effective liter? or it't the cost of fuel that are consumed on the normal route divided by effective liter, in which case it would be p.

does the total cost of fuel include cost of effective liters ? as the fuel consumed on the journey is filled when they fill the petrol tank, i think the cost of effective liters is included in the total cost of filling the tank.

Stuck...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused about what is meant by "effective total cost value."

What I did was:

Price paid at station = total distance traveled in km * litres of fuel consumed per km * price per litre

P = D*F*p1

or for extra distances

P = (D+d)*F*p2

This already seems to account for the total cost of fuel and the total cost of the journey! In fact, isn't it obvious that the cost of the journey IS the cost of fuel? Journeys are made as consumers of fuel and fuel is made as a consumer of money!

I have no idea what they mean when they say:

Effective total cost value = cost of fuel + cost of effective litres

... because my equation seems to already take everything into account! Can anyone clarify what in the world is going on?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody help me with part 2?

I really don't understand how to find E.

Am i supposed to use the fuel efficiency and the distance of the journey that I used for Arwa and Bao in part A?

EUREKA :D , did it guys

HELP USSS

how do you find the total cost E??

Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days?

The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg

I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW.

I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed.

Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route)

therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy.

I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper.

The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

I think you need to multiply the cost of effective litres by the distance traveled.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...