Filling up the Petrol Tank

faerie123

Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days?

The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg

I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW.

I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed.

Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route)

therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy.

I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper.

The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

• Like 1

Are Arwa and Bao travelling the route everday, or are they travelling the route only once. One thing needs to be made clear here, if they are travelling the entire route only once, then the cost per effective litre for any car in both the options will be same.

Effective litre = are those litres used when the vehicle travles its normal route.

Example, two cars travel the normal route(say 100km) through option 1(forget the other option for now)

One car is super awesome : travels all 100 km in 1 litre of fuel (spends only a 1 dollar), utilises 1 litre which is effective litre since it is utilised to travel the normal route. Therefore cost per effective litre for this car is 1

Other car travles the same 100 km by using 20 litres of fuel( spends 20 dollar in total), utilises 20 litres which are all effective since htey are utilised to travel the normal route . Therefore cost per effective litre, or cost he paid for every effective litre is also 1... Sotherefore,the fuel comsumption of the car does not affect the effective litre....but this is only for the case in which they travel the route only once..........

I also made amodel for the cars in which they travel the route daily, for that we need to consider many more variable?

Now I have two question

1. Are they travelling the route daily or just once? or is it alright for me to assume that they are travelling it everday and make a model according to that?

2.When i made a model for E2 then i got an equation which only had the variable - s p and d and no tank capacity and stuff like that

• 3 weeks later...

Other car travles the same 100 km by using 20 litres of fuel( spends 20 dollar in total), utilises 20 litres which are all effective since htey are utilised to travel the normal route . Therefore cost per effective litre, or cost he paid for every effective litre is also 1... Sotherefore,the fuel comsumption of the car does not affect the effective litre....but this is only for the case in which they travel the route only once..........

2.When i made a model for E2 then i got an equation which only had the variable - s p and d and no tank capacity and stuff like that

Hi, I'm getting the same issue as you! Fuel efficiency is not in my equation so I can't find the family of curves because Bao and Arwa would be the same! How did you go about solving it!

I do not understand what is meant what the fourth bullet point in the instructions, "define a set of variables that would be relevant in the above situation" can someone please explain to me what they are referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone! Can someone please give me a hint as to how to do the family of curves?

i dont get the concept behind it..i know it has to be in form of a fraction but if y=k/x then what is it exactly we are plotting?

a small hint (helpful though) shall suffice

thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days? The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW. I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed. Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route) therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy. I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper. The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx
Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days? The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW. I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed. Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route) therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy. I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper. The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

Hiya. I was just wondering whether the first equation of the cost per effective is related to the second equation of cost per effective litre or are they two different ones, one for Arwa and one for Bao?

Are Arwa and Bao travelling the route everday, or are they travelling the route only once. One thing needs to be made clear here, if they are travelling the entire route only once, then the cost per effective litre for any car in both the options will be same.

Effective litre = are those litres used when the vehicle travles its normal route.

Example, two cars travel the normal route(say 100km) through option 1(forget the other option for now)

One car is super awesome : travels all 100 km in 1 litre of fuel (spends only a 1 dollar), utilises 1 litre which is effective litre since it is utilised to travel the normal route. Therefore cost per effective litre for this car is 1

I also made amodel for the cars in which they travel the route daily, for that we need to consider many more variable?

Now I have two question

1. Are they travelling the route daily or just once? or is it alright for me to assume that they are travelling it everday and make a model according to that?

Hello! How would them travelling more than once along the normal route affect the cost per effective litre?

• 1 month later...

In my equation I don't have fuel efficiency or tank size. It seems to work for everything except that it makes it so there is no difference for the different types of cars. Can someone please hint as to how to include efficiency into the equation?

can you please explain part 1 in detail??

i don't even understand whats going on....

Hello,

Do you mean the parameter part?!1

The parameters of the vehicle you should consider

1- speed - top speed and acceleration-

2- Weight

3- engine output (power and torque)

4- Fuel consumption - refers to the relationship of the fuel and the distance- eg. one litre of petrol make you travel 50 km/h. < just an example lol

The parameter of the vehicle you are to determine you will need to determine the fuel tank capacity i.e. the petrol tank in this model.

There are usually three parameters:

1- The Emergency stock: This means the fuel that you require in the tank before going to get another supply of fuel.

2- Lead time for supply: The time required to go the petrol station to get supply of petrol <<< Don't think it is required in the modelling. But you can consider it. However, the third parameter will take into consideration this one.

3- The Lead-time stock: This is the amount of petrol required to operate the vehicle while you are on the way to the station.

1 and 3 are the most important thing because the minimum storage of fuel is the sum of The emergency stock and the lead-time stock

You also need to take into consideration the size of the vehicle (weight including passenger and any other cargo). for example 10-15 litres of fuel is enough for a bike. Or even more. a Car will have a bigger tank. The truck will have a bigger one. If you understand what I mean.

sorry i dont got he last thing u said which is minimum storage of fuel is the sum of the emergency stock and the lead time stock, can u explain to me ? plz :) thank you Edited by MR.XXXXXXX

• 1 month later...

Hello I'd like to know as for "which motorist is getting the better deal" in part 1, may I judge by the cost per effective litre?? I'm not too sure since this definition only appears later in part 2...

Besides, does "choose a nominal distance" mean that we can randomly set a distance? or use x/y/z/m/n..etc. to present the normal route??

THX a lot!!

can someone help me with part 3 of the IA. esp, investigating the relationship between d and p2 when e2 is constant. what does this even mean? does it mean that d and p2 are changing will e2 is the same number? and then you can graph the various functions? someone please explain

also for the third bullet point of e2=0.90. how do we provide info on three different stations that yield the same cost per effective liter? what does it mean by three stations? and how is this info useful. i have no clue how to do this bullet point, please help!

and the last bullet point, just HOW?!?!

Hey i saw that noone answered your question so i was wondering how you solved that problem? part three is confusing to me.

Hi, I'm getting the same issue as you! Fuel efficiency is not in my equation so I can't find the family of curves because Bao and Arwa would be the same! How did you go about solving it!

Same!!! :(

Hi, could someone help me out in on my type II higher maths IA portfolio.that's due in 2 days?

The piece I'm doing is the filling up the petrol tank and I understand and have done around half of it but my model doesn't work so I can't do the second half. Here is a photo of the IA piece http://dl.dropbox.co...359521/1002.jpg

I've decided to base my cars' parameters on the specifications of a Mercedes and a Volkswagen where the mercedes does 13 miles/km and has a fuel tank capacity of 90 litres and the VW does 19 km/l and has a capacity of 55l. The normal route is 350km. Im assuming that Bao drives the merc and Arwa drives the VW.

I calculated the money spent on the two routes in the following way: Distance driven/Fuel economy = petrol consumed. Money spent = Price at petrol station x Petrol Consumed.

Cost per effective litre = (Money spent/ Distance of normal route)

therefore cost per effective litre = Price/Fuel economy.

I then defined two separate equations for Bao's cost per effective litre and Arwa's cost per effective litre and two equations for their cost (of total route) and took Arwa's equation from Bao's and if the answer is positive, option 2 is cheaper and if its negative, option 1 is cheaper.

The two equations seem to work but the model doesn't, by the way this is bullet 7. Could any 1 tell me where I went wrong and help me out please. Thnx

Hiya,

This response may be a bit late to your question, as you may have already finished your portfolio, but maybe you could help me? :D

Am I right in thinking that the model required for bullet 6 has nothing to do with the effective litres equations in bullet 5, but has to include E2 to help with the 8th bullet point which says we need to use our model to investigate the relationship between d and p2 when E2 is kept constant?

Thanks

Edited by IB Student 95

I'm having the same problem: if I input Fuel Consumption in my equation, it cancels out, so my results are the same, regardless of the vehicle.

But I also have another question: if the Fuel Consumption is in the equation such that the effective litres will vary according the Fuel Consumption (i.e. different depending on the vehicle), do I also have to include the Tank Capacity in the equation? Because two vehicles can have the same Fuel Consumption but have totally different Tank Capacities (e.g. a big motorcycle and a regular car). Is this relevant? Or do we only need to take into account the Fuel Consumption?

Thank you.

I didn't take tank capacity into account but this IA makes it so everyone does it slightly differently so your choice it depends on your arbitrary distance of the normal route... Let me know if you solve the first problem!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've done the first 5 bullets. I'm finding serious problems because the task text is bad translated from English and there are some things which are better understood reading the original English text.

In bullet 6, what do they want when they say "a model"? An equation or something and then an explanation like "for this fuel cost difference, or for this distance to the petrol station, do that"?

For the moment I find the IA quite interesting. I'm using the fuel consumption data from two cars we have at the family (Chrysler PT Cruiser and the old VW Jetta II from 1991! :shifty: ).

The problem is that our IA is due next tuesday... and I'm too slow writing equations on the computer and stuff.