Which textbook do you use for Psych?

Caitlin

There has always seemed to me to be a startling lack of resources when it comes to IB Psychology.

Up until now my class has been using an A-Levels textbook, which was quite inconvenient, as you can imagine - different course and all. We looked online for ages for an actual IB one, but alas, none could be found. :) But today, for the first time, I held in my hands a textbook which actually contained within it the IB Psychology course... and let me tell you, friends - it was a damn good feeling. B)

It's an Australian one that's only just been published. I don't know if other countries have published textbooks for IB Psych, but up until now I've never been able to find one.

So anyway, which book does your class use?

Careful with the IBID book - it's really only a first draft, for the old syllabus (to 2008) and there are a multitude of glaring errors in it. We bought it as a class text and are thoroughly disappointed with the inaccuracies.

The next version they're writing for the new syllabus is supposed to be better... am reserving judgement myself :)

Edited by FD77

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Let me warn you now. If you use that book to revise for your exam, you will not get more than a 5 (and that's if you know 100% of it perfectly). The book provides enough information to get a 4. The psychology oxford revision guide is easily the worst psychology book I have ever read. I strongly suggest you use alternative sources. STRONGLY suggest.

ohhhhhhhh!! you've all got me extremmelly worried and confussed now.

we use "psychology- a modular approach to mind and behaviour" by dennis coon and "Oxford revisions guides As &A level Psychology thorugh diagrams" by gragame hill. As well as heaps of different hands outs on different studies.

what is confussing me is that Deus was saying that the 'oxford revision guide' is bad.... and then there are heaps of people going on about 'psychology through diagrams' by Hill. But that book is part of the oxford revivion guide range. help!!! is this the same book we're talking about?

oh also thanks for the aussie book Caitlin, i'm going to look it up.

• 3 weeks later...

We use 3 books;

1.(mainly used) Pscyhology in Perspective (3rd edition) - Carol Tavris and Carole Wade

2.(a book about famour studies) Forty studies that changed psychology (5th edition) - Roger R. Hock

3. (to get familiar with terms) Introduction to research methods in psychology (3rd edition) - Hugh Coolican

And the occasional copy prints he gives from books he reads

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using Approaches to Psychology by William E. Glassman. It's quite clear and easy to understand. And plus, it gives you on-line references and marks the concepts to be remembered in bold, which is something I particularly find very useful.

Edit: And our teacher has also photocopied another book which we still have to go through so I don't really know the name.

Edited by saya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
do you mean the one written by Glassman?? I don't quite like that one...

I am an IB student and im in my last year of IB, for psychology the book that i highly recommend is the Glassmen book. Many people think that because its thick and has small writing that it is boring to read, however, once you need something it is much faster to go to this book and quickly flick through some pages because it gives everything in full detail but at the same time its nice and easy to understand. Highly recommend it! hope that helped

• 4 weeks later...

I also use "Psychology in Prespective" third edition

I must say i really like this one. Its not enought of course. But it is really good book and i find it very useful.

I recomend it to everyone.

I heard there is a new Psychology book coming out with an IB logo on it. Im not too soure about it.

Im going to buy also the Glassman one.

<3

There isn't really a IB psych book but most of the psych text books contain the same thing with more or less of one thing.

We use this book --> Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behavior by Michael W. Passer and Ronald E. Smith. It's really good but more intended for higher education. However it contains most things that you need to know minus the humanistic perspective.

We use that book too and it's really good; loads of good studies and key concepts. We just got loads of paper for the humanistic perspective and the options which are social and dysfunctional.

Thanks for the revision site link :P

Oh gosh... I now what you are going through. I haven't even heard there was a psychology IB book out there, yet, fat chance I will ever lay my hands on one of them. In my school, our teacher gave us a collection of copies of an American university book they use for psychology in the States. We dont even have proper books, you see!! I wonder if the book really makes a difference,.

We use similar books to the ones mentioned...AS and A Levels, Approaches to psychology etc but they are either written in a very high (boring) register or don't contain enough information. The "Psychology in IB" is ok but misses out so details...and we all know psychology requires detail. They need one equivalent to the "Biology for the IB diploma"- Clegg. When will someone write a decent one?!

We have four, which are a pain to carry around when the teacher asks us to bring all of them to class. (And they're all really thick, hmmph.)

They are: Abnormal Psychology: An Introduction by V. Mark Durand and David H. Barlow, Theories of Personality by Duane Schultz and Sydney Ellen Schultz, An Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology by Hugh Coolican, Psychology: An Introduction by Charles G. Morris and Albert A. Maisto. We use the latter the most, though.

• 2 months later...
I use handouts in class and the cranpsych.com website

Do you mean cranepsych.com :( Our teacher sung praises of that site and I think he pulls a lot for his lectures from it.

We have the school-issued textbook (Meyers' Psychology) but our teacher told us to go buy Glassman's Approaches to Psychology and read the chapters. Glassman's seems to be the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Check this book out released by IBID Press. It has a bunch of useful information and everything is categorized quite well. There are, however, a few editing mistakes (paragraphs and sentences repeated, etc.) as it's new, but it's worth getting seeing as there aren't many IB Psychology books out there!

https://www.ibid.com.au/ibid/web.nsf/produc...p;searchorder=4

Those taking Psychology next year for the new Syllabus, there's a Psychology Course Companion (Oxford) being released that's written by John Crane himself! Although it's for the new syllabus, it should be available to order next month I believe, so it's worth checking out as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-Diploma-Program...6643&sr=8-8

• 1 month later...

We dont really use a textbook in our Psychology HL class as the teacher usually gives us presentations on each topic.. n then leaves the interpretation and learning bit to us..

so for reference the library offers -

i. Approaches to Psychology by William E. Glassman and Marilyn Hadad

ii. Cognitive Psychology by galotti

iii. i think a book called research methodology in Psychology by whom i do not remember..

plus there are like so many other reference books..

we kinda get lost sometimes..

i really want to get my hands on

Psychology by Paul Whetham, Andrew Day & Libby Whetham it sounds like a book that might have everything in one place rather than running about searching everywhere..

well if anyone has a link to where i can get a soft copy of this book or where in india can i buy this book then i shall be pleased and relieved

Oxford AS & A Level Revision book (excellent),

Themes & Variations by Weiten (good book esp. with the concept map) I'm a visual

learner. However, it is kind of boring to read with a sleeping rate of 75% within one hour.

Edited by lil_lil

• 1 month later...
Guest Philippe Arni
Oxford AS & A Level Revision book (excellent),

Themes & Variations by Weiten (good book esp. with the concept map) I'm a visual

learner. However, it is kind of boring to read with a sleeping rate of 75% within one hour.

I use Deus's (Graeme's) notes >.<

Just for comparative psychology, I have a small book which my teacher let me borrowed.