Which textbook do you use for Psych?

Caitlin

We actually have three books: Approaches To Psychology, A Level Psychology, Psychology The Science of Mind and Behavior. So if I am looking for something I'll definitely find it in one of them...but yeah it would be great to have one book that's really focused on IB psychology...

Ha! we've got four text books in Psych.. :)

1. Approaches to Psychology by Glassman
  2. Psychology - The Science of Mind and Behaviour by Richard Gross [this one is my favourite]
  3. Introduction to Research Methodology in Psychology by what's-his-name
  4. Some book by a guy called Banyard...

They're all really good, but in different ways... But it sucks carrying four books around! :punish:

... quick tips for book-carriers...

1. Photocopy the chapter, and carry the copy.

2. Find out if you need to take all the books to class - maybe one or two will do.

3. If you've got computer access, find out if there's a soft copy you can use.

IB Psychology book

AHH! I WANT!

Currently using Psychology - 4th Edition - The Science of Mind Behaviour

by Richard Gross

Though this book jst has too much info., way more than what we IB students need

Weighs about 7-10Kgs man!

Introducing Psychology Research by Banyard

and an Oxford Dictionary of Psychology\

Booklet from our school and from what i heard we're yet to get one more..

Things just can't get better can they?! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

intro to psychology, Morrishttp://wps.prenhall.com/hss_morris_psychology_12actually, we use that to prepare for the AP exams, and for IB SL, we had no book, and we just listened to the old lady talk about stuff that she probably dont even understand... sorry for the bad grammar, but thats how she talks

BTW people, use Deus's psych notes, that's what i used to get me the 5 on the exam. without those revision notes, i would be looking at a 3 at most:D

Edited by icecoldstar

• 2 weeks later...

we use Atkinson's Introduction to Psychology. our teacher calls it The Bible, but to be honest, she's kinda psycho herself. it's virtually impossible to get a 7 in her class (it scares me all the lot more since I'm taking HL).

i don't really think it's a suitable IB book, but what do i know...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stilldreaminghelp!
There has always seemed to me to be a startling lack of resources when it comes to IB Psychology.

Up until now my class has been using an A-Levels textbook, which was quite inconvenient, as you can imagine - different course and all. We looked online for ages for an actual IB one, but alas, none could be found. :P But today, for the first time, I held in my hands a textbook which actually contained within it the IB Psychology course... and let me tell you, friends - it was a damn good feeling. B)

It's an Australian one that's only just been published. I don't know if other countries have published textbooks for IB Psych, but up until now I've never been able to find one.

So anyway, which book does your class use?

THERES AN IB PSYCH TEXT BOOK?! :heart: omg!

what year do you graduate, because the syllabus changed! my exams are in may 2008

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest rissygirl13

We use an excellent psychology book! It has an accompaning workbook that provides the questions we do for homework based reading the chapter. Here's the MLA citation for the book:

Gray, P. (2002). Psychology. New York: Worth Publishers

It's an interesting read and not extremely hard to grasp chapter concepts.

I actually wrote my extended essay on the topic of Psychology and this book really helped me out with foundational material. I would read the subject i needed (visual psychology) to understand it and then was able to more specifically research the topic in other sources.

Our school does not offer IB psychology <_< But i was just wondering....how is this subject and does it require a lot of memorization or is it based on logic as well. Can u relate psycology to any other IB subject......

thnx

Yes, it's mostly memorisation. Possibly similar to history - a lot of memorisation, and learning how to write the essay so they give you the marks. And interpreting just what they need you to say for the marks. In fact, I don't think there were any concepts. Just a "X et al did Y and found Z" over and over and over.

There has always seemed to me to be a startling lack of resources when it comes to IB Psychology.

Up until now my class has been using an A-Levels textbook, which was quite inconvenient, as you can imagine - different course and all. We looked online for ages for an actual IB one, but alas, none could be found. :bawling: But today, for the first time, I held in my hands a textbook which actually contained within it the IB Psychology course... and let me tell you, friends - it was a damn good feeling. B)

It's an Australian one that's only just been published. I don't know if other countries have published textbooks for IB Psych, but up until now I've never been able to find one.

So anyway, which book does your class use?

We still use A-Level books for psychology, which can be really frustrating. We have:

Approaches To Psychology

Psychology - A New Introduction for A Level

Psychology Through Diagrams - AS & A Level

I think the IB course is similar to the A-level though, but it can be frustrating when you're trying to find something in particular that they don't cover in A-levels, especially in the 'summary' book.

I wasn't aware that there was an Australian IB psychology book! Did you order it online?

Our school does not offer IB psychology :bawling: But i was just wondering....how is this subject and does it require a lot of memorization or is it based on logic as well. Can u relate psycology to any other IB subject......

thnx

Well, Nothing is ‘certain’ in psychology; almost everything you learn is a theory, thus I find that psychology and philosophy/ToK can complement each other perfectly, but I don’t think there’s much of a correlation with other subjects that I take. It does involve memorising concepts and theories, but personally I love the course. But if your school doesn't offer IB psychology and you're interested in the subject, you'll probably find just as much enjoyment in the other humanities which can occasionally overlap.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Oh no no no. You've all just freaked me out!

Our teacher at the start of our syllabus made us buy AS and A Level Psychology through diagrams (Oxford Revision Guides) by Grahame Hill, but then he goes on to tell us that he wants us to search the internet for our topics, and to try and find the studies and theories as we need to [so we can go back and discuss them again in class]...

No one in my class was particularly pleased that we were buying a textbook we weren't going to use a great deal, except as a fall back, so I guess we assumed that the fall back would actually have information.

When I've checked it out it's seemed fairly pathetic, but knowing that it's going to get me a 5 at absolute best worries me. T.T...

I think I may need to go out and buy a new textbook now. :P

Heh... my teacher doesn't use a textbook... well not yet atleast. We're returning to class tomorrow and supposedly, the second semester means we being learning Psych stuff...

EDIT:

Well now I must take back my previous statement... My teacher began to talk to us about the Biology, Cognitive, and the Learning perspectives about Psych... Perhaps this is a new turn for my class? o.O

• 3 weeks later...
Let me warn you now. If you use that book to revise for your exam, you will not get more than a 5 (and that's if you know 100% of it perfectly). The book provides enough information to get a 4. The psychology oxford revision guide is easily the worst psychology book I have ever read. I strongly suggest you use alternative sources. STRONGLY suggest.

Come on the IB psych test is a cake walk, it's so easy I don't even think you need a book, heck I don't even think you need to take the class, you could just walk right in and get a 7... just kidding. But seriously the pysch test is easy. I used the Oxford revision guide and did just fine with my 7.