IB Class of 2013: advice, expectations?

Hey, fellow 2013ers! How is school for you so far? I've started today, I had 4 subjects, all of them double, Chem, English, Maths and History. On Eng and Hist we only had lessons about rules and about syllabus, but I totally loved Chem. Moles are such a piece of cake, even though we did a bit more difficult exercises than I was used to. Our Maths teacher is on a school trip, so we on Maths we did some tasks from the textbook by ourselves and they were super easy, probably because it's only the beginning, and we had so much fun during the class, we have less than 10 people in our Maths SL class, it's great! Unfortunately, we have 16 in History HL and it's not so cool...

I love IB so far but wholeheartedly hate new lang B syllabus! It's madness!

Gaby - so far I totally LOVE IB too! The lessons are great (expect Polish...) and tomorrow I'll have 9 lessons -,- but FINALLY I'll have Biology and Maths and have a chance to meet my teachers ;)

How many hours of English have you got? Because of the new syllabus we've got an extra hour... And I wonder if it's common.

I have 6 hours + 1 hour of English Communication, it's a lesson with a native speaker. I haven't had Polish yet, I'll have my first lesson on Wednesday. And tomorrow I have 2 lesson, 2 spare hours and then there is some kind of a concert at my school. And I start at 9.50. :D

The new lang B syllabus (I'll talk about HL, didn't pay much attention to SL part) is that we have two papers in an exam session, 2 oral exams + a written assignment, of about 700 words, with a thesis, based on a book you read in class, you write it supervised by your teacher, at school, you can have some additional materials, and it's supposed to take you about 5-6h, if I'm not mistaken... I think SL does the last part on articles from the press that are available online, not on books, and they have a shorter form to write, though I'm not sure about the length.

Haha in my school you can't have English SL... So I also have 7 hours but without any native speaker ;) Wow... It'll be more work, of course... Tomorrow I start with 3 hours of English, than 2 hours of Biology (HL), 2 hours of Maths (SL) and than 2 hours of Chemistry (HL) on which I'm doing homework right now :D But as far I really love IB... I had Psychology today and I think it can be very interesting!

You'll also have break from Polish and English on Thursday and Friday due to some IB teachers meeting in Lublin? Because of the new syllabus from English and Polish...

I think only language syllabuses are changing for our year, don't know anything about there being any other changes. I actually like the fact that I can take Polish Lang&Lit, cause I'm not the biggest fan of Lit, but this lang B syllabus scared me a little bit. I have a great teacher, though, so I should be ok anyway. :D

Gaby, what kind of history are you taking? Euro/world/us?

You know what, I'm not entirely sure. It's either Euro or World, my books say World but I feel like I've read somewhere I'm doing Euro. So, tbh, I have no idea whatsoever. :P

Edited by Gaby

Hm If you have another book for the history of China for example then you're doing world's

I don't have an extra book on China, but there might be something in the books I do have since they are both titled something like "The Modern World History". But the books I have I rather broad than specific, so I honestly have no idea. I guess it'll all just solve itself. :)

The IB is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I remember randomly surfing through this site called ibquotes.com and I didn't see what the huge fuss was about. I'm nearly done with my first year of IB and can I say that it has been one hell of a ride. I've considered dropping several times (especially close to exam dates/ practice IA's due dates) but in the end I decided theres no point dropping after all that months of hard work. It is a lot of work and its no free lunch, you actually have to work for it unless you're some kind of genius or extremely lucky. Anyway, good luck and try not to freak out too much. It is challenging but hey, living is a challenge everyday so go for it ! (:

p/s: don't procrastinate.

A lot of homework. I was in each class for 30 mins today and my pile is already starting :P

Really? I've had none, but I expect that'll change tomorrow.

I don't have any homework either. Beside a few tasks for Chem, but it's really a revision of what we did during the lesson and most of the exercises are for those who want to strengthen their skills. :)

And I had a grammar test today at English. Made one stupid mistake, 2 less stupid and that's about that. :D I love English grammar, really. :D