Math SL P1

iBzG

Ok so I took my paper 1 and I'm really disappointed.

I answered everything for section A but for section B I barely knew anything! I only answered a few of the easy questions and didn't even know how to take a guess or make something up.

If I did really well on section A but really badly on section B, could I still pass with like a 4?

Also, how much does each exam count for in the final grade?

Thank you!

Ok so I took my paper 1 and I'm really disappointed.

I answered everything for section A but for section B I barely knew anything! I only answered a few of the easy questions and didn't even know how to take a guess or make something up.

If I did really well on section A but really badly on section B, could I still pass with like a 4?

Also, how much does each exam count for in the final grade?

Thank you!

i feel the same way! section B was kinda mest up :( but not as bad as i expected tho!

yeh u can definately still pass...as long as u get 4 and above

dyu take maths at HL or SL?

oh yeh and each paper is worth 30%, meaning portfolio is 40%

Edited by mmposha

I'm taking Math SL and I found the exam quite easy. Only missed like an i) from Section B so I'm quite proud of myself... Now Paper 2 tomorrow will probably be hell.

As for Math HL, I heard from my friends that their exam was chaotic. Incredibly difficult and by far the most difficult exam they've seen (although they practiced quite a lot of Paper 1's from the past).

i know i havent gotten the full 30% on paper 1 and its useless to hope for that in paper 2..but just practice more i guess...yeh my mates from HL also said it was hard...do you think our paper 2 is gonna be hard?? :'(

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

That paper 1 was soooo hard

i know you're not supposed to say questions but i wanna know how people generally did

like section B. i couldnt finish it

section A it was harder than the past paper section B. Would love to know your results.

Also post what you guys think of paper 2 tomorrow after you write it.

and paper 3 in the near future.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TAKING HL MATH

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

i hope we can start the discussion of the math paper1 now since its past 24hrs..... so on an overall note how was the paper guys???? i thought it was quite simple so expecting a tighter great boundary!!

anyone with similar or different thoughts??

I found P1 TZ2 very very easy as well, I'm expecting very close to full marks (I answered everything and had 30 minutes to spare to triple check my answers...). There really weren't any tricky parts for me tbh, the Ferris Wheel question was pretty much the exact same as in N10 P2.

I had Mathematics SL Paper 1 TZ2 yesterday. Against all expectations, this paper was, arguably, the easiest Paper 1 ever. All the questions were repeated, for instance, the ferris wheel questions, as someone had already mentioned, was in the exam Mathematics SL Paper 2 TZ0. I am also expecting a grade close to a full mark. In regards to how much the paper was worth, the information above is wrong. This is how the final grade in SL is divided:

Paper 1 : 40%

Paper 2 : 80%

Internal Assessment : 20%

I also did the second paper today, but I am waiting to discuss it tomorrow.

Now back to this paper. So we (in TZ2) had arithmetic sequences, logarithms, quotient rule, probability (venn diagram), vectors, trigonometric functions and calculus (application). There are other things, but I just forgot. So, that means that paper 2 will have the normal distribution, binomial distribution, sine or cosine rule, more vectors and all other things that weren't in the first paper. I also thought that because this one was easy paper 2 will be really tough, but I just did it today, and...(as much as I like breaking IB rules I will have to wait)

Please post more things now so that we get to discuss it; I love math. I'm predicted a 7 in Mathematics SL. I wish I did Mathematics HL because SL is so easy. However, after what my friends in HL had for paper 1, I should say that I am glad to be in SL.

Paper 1 and paper 2 are both worth 40% and the total of the papers is 80%...it is impossible for the whole percentage to be 140% :S The scaling is paper one and two usually 0.444 and coursework 0.5 :)

Edited by slizzie
  • Like 2

Paper 1 and paper 2 are both worth 40% and the total of the papers is 80%...it is impossible for the whole percentage to be 140% :S The scaling is paper one and two usually 0.444 and coursework 0.5 :)

I'm sorry. I meant to say 40% instead of 80%. I don't know why I did that. Overall, what did you think about paper 1? I am dying to know what was one the TZ1 paper.

I had Mathematics SL Paper 1 TZ2 yesterday. Against all expectations, this paper was, arguably, the easiest Paper 1 ever. All the questions were repeated, for instance, the ferris wheel questions, as someone had already mentioned, was in the exam Mathematics SL Paper 2 TZ0. I am also expecting a grade close to a full mark. In regards to how much the paper was worth, the information above is wrong. This is how the final grade in SL is divided:

Paper 1 : 40%

Paper 2 : 80%

Internal Assessment : 20%

I also did the second paper today, but I am waiting to discuss it tomorrow.

Now back to this paper. So we (in TZ2) had arithmetic sequences, logarithms, quotient rule, probability (venn diagram), vectors, trigonometric functions and calculus (application). There are other things, but I just forgot. So, that means that paper 2 will have the normal distribution, binomial distribution, sine or cosine rule, more vectors and all other things that weren't in the first paper. I also thought that because this one was easy paper 2 will be really tough, but I just did it today, and...(as much as I like breaking IB rules I will have to wait)

Please post more things now so that we get to discuss it; I love math. I'm predicted a 7 in Mathematics SL. I wish I did Mathematics HL because SL is so easy. However, after what my friends in HL had for paper 1, I should say that I am glad to be in SL.

Soo true... I dropped to Maths SL in IB1 and after seeing their faces coming out of that examination hall I'm super glad for it...

What did you get for the questions?

The ones I remember;

Logarithmic questions, I put down A = 5 (since 3 ln x= ln x^3 and ln x^3 + ln 5 = ln 5x^3). I thought it was a shift by vector (0, ln 5) but wasn't completely sure about that one...

In quotient rule I got 6.

In the last question h(21) was like 2.41 or something, and the expression if I recall correctly -50 cos ((pi/10)*x)+50.

(Not looking forwards to hearing that all of this is incorrect... haha :D)

Soo true... I dropped to Maths SL in IB1 and after seeing their faces coming out of that examination hall I'm super glad for it...

What did you get for the questions?

The ones I remember;

Logarithmic questions, I put down A = 5 (since 3 ln x= ln x^3 and ln x^3 + ln 5 = ln 5x^3). I thought it was a shift by vector (0, ln 5) but wasn't completely sure about that one...

In quotient rule I got 6.

In the last question h(21) was like 2.41 or something, and the expression if I recall correctly -50 cos ((pi/10)*x)+50.

(Not looking forwards to hearing that all of this is incorrect... haha :D)

I did the same for the logs one. I also got 6. h(21) = h(1), so if h(1) = 2.41 then h(21) = 2.41. a = -50, b = pi/10 and c = 50. Wow, I did exactly what you did.