Math SL P1

iBzG

Ah nice, feeling pretty good in that case since those were the ones I was more uncertain about! And yeah I put down graph 3 as well because the mean was pretty low on the chart so there should've been more values in the lower range.

There were mixed opinions about P1 in our class. We did have terrible teachers and an awful history of getting 3s in mocks. Some found it hard, other said it was better than what they expected.

I personally found it awful. It was a lot harder than what I was expecting, and I left a lot of it unsolved so I doubt I'll get my predicted grade even after P2. Expecting a 4, gutted.

Even the simple questions like I think q4 where you had to solve for h'(x) or something with 6cosx etc I couldn't solve.

Cynthia: although this isn't related to math, do you write an essay in history paper 1 the last question? Do we even write "essays" in history or is it an extended response. I am extremely prepared for next week's paper (history route 1), but I was just wondering because some people say essays while others say extended response.

Cynthia: although this isn't related to math, do you write an essay in history paper 1 the last question? Do we even write "essays" in history or is it an extended response. I am extremely prepared for next week's paper (history route 1), but I was just wondering because some people say essays while others say extended response.

I'd call what I do in P2&P3 essays, but I suppose my P1 response is kind of a mini essay/extended response, I do usually have like a two-sentence introduction and conclusion.

@pking I kind of thought the same thing but it seems like both could actually be correct... Oh well, it's only a couple of marks if a shift is wrong :)

Ok I'm confused, I don't recognize any of the questions you people are talking about in either thread. :o I took May 2011 TZ1...

Most people probably like paper 2 because you get a graphing calculator. But I always like the paper 1s, I find them nice and straightfoward.

I thought that this year's paper 1 was way easier than May 2010 or Nov 2010. I won't talk about paper 2 because it's not allowed.

But Paper 1 was really straight foward, no surprises... In the beginning of the exam I was so freaked out. But during the five minute reading period I was thinking, what, that's it? :)

I did each question super slowly and I still had 45 mins left to check it over. I nearly messed up the question that asked you to graph the velocity because of a misread, but I caught it in time. :D

All the things I feared did not occur.

I loved how have the questions were like "show _______". That way, you're sure you're on the right track. However, I doubt I got perfect. I mean I couldn't even get perfect (not even close!!!!) on a single test/quiz this year, how do I expect to do it on an exam? I probably lost marks for form or rounding or something. :/

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

I'm in TZ1 and I found that the sl paper was quite easy... the only issue that everyone seemed to have was on the very last question which asked for a graph of a velocity equation and the distance equation on the same graph... but other than that there were a lot of nice matrix questions

[quote name=supercool <3' timestamp='1304627269' post='113662]

I'm in TZ1 and I found that the sl paper was quite easy... the only issue that everyone seemed to have was on the very last question which asked for a graph of a velocity equation and the distance equation on the same graph... but other than that there were a lot of nice matrix questions

I hated the matrix question (or matrices in paper 1 in general), I was paranoid about stupid mistakes and checked it over 5 times.

For the last question, I thought we just had to shade the area under the velocity graph to show the distance? Or did we actually have to graph the function... A lot of people in my class had issues with that question too though.

I can't wait till we take up the exams in school. The suspense is killing me.

I had Mathematics SL Paper 1 TZ2 yesterday. Against all expectations, this paper was, arguably, the easiest Paper 1 ever. All the questions were repeated, for instance, the ferris wheel questions, as someone had already mentioned, was in the exam Mathematics SL Paper 2 TZ0. I am also expecting a grade close to a full mark. In regards to how much the paper was worth, the information above is wrong. This is how the final grade in SL is divided:

Paper 1 : 40%

Paper 2 : 80%

Internal Assessment : 20%

I also did the second paper today, but I am waiting to discuss it tomorrow.

Now back to this paper. So we (in TZ2) had arithmetic sequences, logarithms, quotient rule, probability (venn diagram), vectors, trigonometric functions and calculus (application). There are other things, but I just forgot. So, that means that paper 2 will have the normal distribution, binomial distribution, sine or cosine rule, more vectors and all other things that weren't in the first paper. I also thought that because this one was easy paper 2 will be really tough, but I just did it today, and...(as much as I like breaking IB rules I will have to wait)

Please post more things now so that we get to discuss it; I love math. I'm predicted a 7 in Mathematics SL. I wish I did Mathematics HL because SL is so easy. However, after what my friends in HL had for paper 1, I should say that I am glad to be in SL.

Soo true... I dropped to Maths SL in IB1 and after seeing their faces coming out of that examination hall I'm super glad for it...

What did you get for the questions?

The ones I remember;

Logarithmic questions, I put down A = 5 (since 3 ln x= ln x^3 and ln x^3 + ln 5 = ln 5x^3). I thought it was a shift by vector (0, ln 5) but wasn't completely sure about that one...

In quotient rule I got 6.

In the last question h(21) was like 2.41 or something, and the expression if I recall correctly -50 cos ((pi/10)*x)+50.

(Not looking forwards to hearing that all of this is incorrect... haha :D)

I got the same answers as you, except I didn't realise 'a' was negative for the last question. I knew something was wrong but I couldn't figure out what!

Also, I put b = 18 instead of pi/10 because I was thinking degrees not radians - I'm guessing they'd accept either.. It didn't specify radians anywhere did it? :S

Oh, I also got a different geometric transformation. I got a stretch parallel to the x axis by a factor of 1/5 (I think), anyone else get that?

Hey for the ln transformation I put down vertical stretch scale factor 1/5.. it was 3 marks so I thought just a shift would be too easy..

Yeah I put something like that, except I think I put a horizontal translation rather than vertical.

I'm an international student taking math SL and have just done with the exams.

(sorry, my English isn't good at all)

I made some stupid mistakes on the exams:

On the P1,

1. Although I found "t", I forgot to substitute "t" into the equation to find the acceleration of a particle.

2. I couldn't solve one matrix question which I needed to find A=A^-1. I only wrote the process which was A-^1= 1/(9+2x?)(A).

3. I wrote "+" instead of "-" to find the area under a curve.

5. I lost 17 points because I couldn't solve the last questions at all.

On the P2,

6. I lost 7 points and 16 points? because I could't solve the last questions and another question.

7. When finding r=a+tb, I wrote a wrong coordinate for a. (I wrote A instead of B), and this affects the rest of questions. :crying:

The vector questions are out of 14 and I might only get 2 points because I wrote a wrong coordinate for "a" when finding r=a+tb, and this affects the rest.

I really want to get at least 5 on Math SL because I need to get at least 30 points on the final IB grades :( in order to be formally accepted by a uni (my first choice)

Is it possible to get at least 5?? Can I still get some points even though I made mistakes like 1-3 and 7??

If the examiner is strict, I might get 4 on the paper 2.

I'm worried, crying and so disappointed at myself.

Sorry, my English is too bad.

I had Mathematics SL Paper 1 TZ2 yesterday. Against all expectations, this paper was, arguably, the easiest Paper 1 ever. All the questions were repeated, for instance, the ferris wheel questions, as someone had already mentioned, was in the exam Mathematics SL Paper 2 TZ0. I am also expecting a grade close to a full mark. In regards to how much the paper was worth, the information above is wrong. This is how the final grade in SL is divided:

Paper 1 : 40%

Paper 2 : 80%

Internal Assessment : 20%

I also did the second paper today, but I am waiting to discuss it tomorrow.

Now back to this paper. So we (in TZ2) had arithmetic sequences, logarithms, quotient rule, probability (venn diagram), vectors, trigonometric functions and calculus (application). There are other things, but I just forgot. So, that means that paper 2 will have the normal distribution, binomial distribution, sine or cosine rule, more vectors and all other things that weren't in the first paper. I also thought that because this one was easy paper 2 will be really tough, but I just did it today, and...(as much as I like breaking IB rules I will have to wait)

Please post more things now so that we get to discuss it; I love math. I'm predicted a 7 in Mathematics SL. I wish I did Mathematics HL because SL is so easy. However, after what my friends in HL had for paper 1, I should say that I am glad to be in SL.

Soo true... I dropped to Maths SL in IB1 and after seeing their faces coming out of that examination hall I'm super glad for it...

What did you get for the questions?

The ones I remember;

Logarithmic questions, I put down A = 5 (since 3 ln x= ln x^3 and ln x^3 + ln 5 = ln 5x^3). I thought it was a shift by vector (0, ln 5) but wasn't completely sure about that one...

In quotient rule I got 6.

In the last question h(21) was like 2.41 or something, and the expression if I recall correctly -50 cos ((pi/10)*x)+50.

(Not looking forwards to hearing that all of this is incorrect... haha :D)

yes i too did the same.... and the ferris wheel question was really tricky... the b part of that so so easy bt i spent like 20mintutes on that one...bt happy to get the answer... h(21)- 2.41 or something...

but about the graph...it did not look like cos graph as the equation said...it rather looked like a sin one cz it started from 0...so thought that the graph i sketched was incorrect!! but logically it made sense bt just worried cz looked like a sin and not cos graph... what was it guys?