To any IB Survivors...

*Alethia*

Ok so im a junior...and not very good at math :blink: so i was wondering how hard the math exam really is. I've heard horrible things and really good things...so what do you think? To those who already took it what do you think would have made it easier? Do you wish you had studied more? Prepared better? This is the only exam that i am actually dreading :P

P.S: I know there is an IA for math but our math teachers hasnt told us anything about it...what did you do for your math IA?

In math standard there is nthing to choose from. I heard that it is not that difficult, if you are good at math, if not you may feel some difficulties. Math need strong brain, and training, with both of them you can get the good mark.

I didn't know Math SL had options. o.O I thought both of those were part of the Math SL syllabus.

Nope. You can choose to take calculus or statistics. Both have a little bit of the other. For example in stats we have a semester dedicated to calculus and in calculus they have a semester dedicated to stats. BUT in statistics you go more in depth into..of course, stats. Likewise with calculus, more in depth calculus and a semester dedicated to reviewing stats.

I didn't know Math SL had options. o.O I thought both of those were part of the Math SL syllabus.

Nope. You can choose to take calculus or statistics. Both have a little bit of the other. For example in stats we have a semester dedicated to calculus and in calculus they have a semester dedicated to stats. BUT in statistics you go more in depth into..of course, stats. Likewise with calculus, more in depth calculus and a semester dedicated to reviewing stats.

I think what your school is doing is teaching the Math SL syllabus as usual but then goes further with the topics you chose. So the types of questions you'll get on your final exams on Stats will be much easier than what you learnt. Math SL has no such option between Stats. or Calculus like inm confirmed.

Anyway, back to your first question. If you want to pass math, make sure you practice it constantly and when you're almost done with the syllabus, ask your teacher for a bunch of past papers. You'll be fine at the exams.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought that everyone uses the same math SL syllabus (ie there are no options)? Calculus and statistics are in the syllabus for all SL math students.