Do you work?

ezex

Working while in IB  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you work, as in a job, or did you use to work while in IB?

• Yes
    • No

I've heard around my school tons of people who just turned 16 who are starting their new jobs. Though all I hear from the counselors is that getting a job is the end of any chances you can have of going into a good college. I just wanted to hear your opinions on wether having a job and being in IB is really that crazy of an idea, since I might have to get one too to help out around the house.

It depends really.

Like with me, I focus all my energy on IB, Student Council and running.

If I had a job, I would screw myself over completely.

But since I'm crazy intense will all three of the above, I'd never get out of any of those just for a job.

And if I were to have a job, one of these areas would be lacking in my life.

However, once IB is over in May, I will get a job.

Because for one, IB is done!

And that is a huge chunk of my life.

I'll still have time for Council until it's done in June.

And running, well I'm not going to stop that anyways.

Basically, bottom line is...

If you have the time to dedicate, go for it.

But if you can wait until later to get a job, then wait.

I believe if you have your priorities set right you will not be rejected by a good college or university. When I use to work I only look for shifts on the weekends or Friday after school so it doesn't affect my learning. It also gives me some experience with the real world and how it operates itself.

I would recommend looking for a part-time job during the weekends or the summer. It MAY help out your university application.

edit----

hahahaha...just read your sig..

Edited by Shorty

I worked about 24 hours a week last year, but come winter, it became too much with IB and other extracurricular stuff. Now I work during holidays, on long week-ends, and when people need a day off, sort of on call. It's pretty nice, because I can more or less determing my own hours, and anytime that I need some cash, I can request a few hours. It's a good system, haha.

• 1 month later...

Research has shown that less than 12 hours a week of non-school work can actually improve your performance. As if you'd actually spend ALL your time studying - and with a job you feel that you're taking a break, and should get back to it as soon as possible - you actually work more, and feel guiltier when you skip... so you work more again!

I wanted to get a job...I need the money. Even it was a relatively easy work. I just can't see the practical sense in my current situation on finding time to do it and balance sleep, etc. The job is a paper run thing; getting up real early to deliver the newspaper in a street or two for (I presume) minimum wage. Now that I think about it, wouldn't hurt to have a go. I presume it would be action for CAS.

I worked at Starbucks the summer before IB1 while taking a Community College elective class that had a topic I really liked. I would be exhausted holding a job during term time, however. Academics/activities suck the energy out of me :P It would depend on the individual, though, one of my friends works about 10h/week and still manages excellent grades and several extracurriculars.

On the Stanford website I believe they say that a job "counts as an extracurricular activity", so you don't have to worry so much about that. I'm sure if you mention at some point that you took a job to help your family instead of sitting around and doing nothing it would work in your favour. :P

Edited by Agneisse

I work in Troll's, a fish and chip restaurant in Horseshoe Bay, Vancouver. I can't train to be a waitress until I'm 17, so right now I'm a hostess and busser.

I only started working there two weeks ago, and only earn $8 an hour. The tipping is so good that I end up earning double that, though.

I work... maybe 13 hours a week on average?

• 2 weeks later...