Portfolio Type I -- How Many Pieces

shweetz

i've gotten up to the 3d part and i can't seem to figure out how to get the maximum number of parts.

the question is:

A cuboid is a finite 3d object. investigate the maximum number of parts (P) that are obtained with n cut.

-Use geometry software to investigate the maximum number of parts for n=1,2,3,4,and 5.

if someone can help me with that question and tell me the max parts per n value i can easily solve the rest. thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest IMBATMAN

I think I'm ok at math but I dread the thought of talking Math HL next year, is there any possibility of going down to Math studies? (I heard it was easier) but will it look bad on my college transcripts? Am i stupud? help. :rofl:

Well what I know is that math studies is taken by those who do not need it in uni. If you want to major in anything that requires math, then I don't think Math ST will look good.

What are you taking now? and why are you thinking of moving to St? If you are currently in HL and want something easier, go to SL, not studies.

If it makes it better, I have friends who are the smarta**es in my grade and still took Math st, just because they don't need it in uni.

I'm pretty sure if you're in IB, you won't be considered stupid. Period. Regardless of whether you take SL or Studies, Bio or Chem (or Physics), or even Environmental Science or another language as your sixth. IB is hard and, yes, some people take the easy route, but choose what you feel is best for you and your future. If you feel taking Studies would allow you to get higher scores in all of your other courses, then go for it! But if you're going to use the spare time to do something not beneficial, then that would be considered stupid.

Guest IMBATMAN
I dread the thought of talking Math HL next year

Why do you have to take Math HL next year?! I don't get it..

Are you currently finding SL hard?

I'm in 11th grade taking Math SL right now, and i'm good at it. next year is HL and i have heard that it drives people towards suicide (jk

:)

I'm in 11th grade taking Math SL right now, and i'm good at it. next year is HL and i have heard that it drives people towards suicide (jk

There's something wrong here... you either take SL for two years or HL for two years. It's not like two one year courses... there are three categories (basically):

- Math HL

- Math Sl

- Math Studies

And you take any of these for two years, normally.

Guest IMBATMAN

There's something wrong here... you either take SL for two years or HL for two years. It's not like two one year courses... there are three categories (basically):

- Math HL

- Math Sl

- Math Studies

And you take any of these for two years, normally.

idk but at my school you take sl in 11th grade and then hl in 12th grade

you have an option to go down to studies if you don't want to take hl in 12th grade (senior year)

did anyone find the answers for this question?

and also, was anyone able to prove the conjecture?

Please let me be clear in which part you are having problem.

The main clue for this HOW MANY PIECES PROBLEM is:

enlist all the maximun no. of possible pieces for line, circle, cuboid and 4 d object

The after listing them all you will notice the pattern that for any number the recursive meaning that any number is the sum of the no. directly above it and the no. left to the no. i.e. above.

Sorry 4 some sort of technical mistake that imade previously @ Gene-Peer

Actually, its somewhat like shpownbelow

Dimensions(towards right) Dimension 1 Dimension 2 Dimension 3 Dimension 4

No.of cuts( downward)

0 1 1 1 1

1 2 2 2 2

2 3 4 4 4

3 4 7 8 8

4 5 11 15 16

Here u can see that 16 is the sum of 8i.e.above it and next 8 that is left of the one that is above.

U cantry it with others as well. Imsure it will work out.

Fromthistable u would be able to find any recurssive formula.

Best of luck with your portfolio.....

Edited by prastha

Hi, I'm doing the same math IA and got stuck on the 3D part as well, i know that if there are 1 cuts, the parts would be 2, 2 cuts maximum 3, and 3 cuts i'd say maximum 8 parts, but then i got stuck on the 4th cut, as i dont know where to start.

hope this helps, and can someone help me too, since i have to turn this in soon XD

thanks

Edited by 2401 Tangents
no text speak please :)

Hey everyone,

is this the other portfolio for May 2011, since I just did the patterns within systems of linear equations and my teacher recommended us to do the other type 1 portfolio for may 2011 since it would help us with our mathematical thinking however he did not give us the sheet as he is not allowed to.

Would it be possible if any one of you could send a copy of the IA for me if this is the other type 1 maths portfolio for may 2011 exams.

Thanks so much in advance!

I can help you guys with other any subjects :)

• 2 weeks later...