How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

Well yeah past papers are pretty much all over the internet, all it takes is a bit of searching since iirc we can't link to them as they're copyrighted to/by the IB blah blah blah, but just check your PM box :D

Just another thing I forgot to mention; no matter which book you use, I'd still do past paper questions when the exam comes, the questions in the second and third book really help you understand everything but IB for some reason have a really strict marking scheme etc. so it's probably worth it to get used to it. But if you did the problems from any of those two, especially University Physics, it should make the IB past paper problems so laughably easy that you'll probably get a 7 without even trying ^^

Edited by TidusBlade

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started IB and to my dismay, my physics teacher can't teach and so far has neglected to give us any notes aside from his own (they're terrible, fill in the missing word etc etc) I'm thinking I might need to buy a proper text book (that covers the HL options too) if we are not provided with one within a few weeks.

Any ideas for the best ones?

Hi, I had the same problem as you when I was in IB1. So, long story short, get the "Physics for the IB diploma 5th edition". It's by K.A.Tsokos. It is by the far the best physics text book I have ever seen and read in IB :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I love physics but my teacher sucks at teaching the subject and now I'm demoralized. I forgot most of the things we learned in physics because my teacher just simply SUCKS! I now have to reread my physics book all over again! (Physics for the IB diploma 5th edition by K.A. Tsokos...:) this book. I'm prolly gonna have to sleep with every night. Anyways, for the people taking chemistry, you might know ibchem.com. This is a great website for reviewing chemistry and everything related to it for the exams and such. I was wondering if anyone knows of any website like that which can help me study for IB Physics HL or any other website that can help me prepare for the exams for physics. I think IB Physics HL is gonna be my hardest subject simply because my teacher sucked at teaching it!

Please help me find some good websites where I can study and review for Physics HL

Edited by Aboo
No text speak! - Aboo

http://physics.info/#modern sometimes i go there but it's not specifically designed for ib...

http://www.physicsrocks.com/ that's like some school's website; it's like a teacher made it for his students so there's some helpful examples there

i read ibid textbooks and those are REALLY helpful. that book you mentioned you had is one we use at school too =) im studying for may now so i'm like scrambling a little bit..but ya IBID is my favourite, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way to revise is to practice question after practice question.

If you come across something you really can't work out, after really trying, then have a look in any book which would be helpful.

But, as physics is all about questions, then the more of them you do, the better you'll become and the more likely you'll come across a similar question in the exam which you've already done

• Like 1

If you think you've understand all the stuff taught but need a summary to make them all clear in your head then the Oxford study guide is really good. And as hanniexx said practising is important, and mainly go over the ones you find difficult or couldn't solve on your own. (not personal experience, advice only)

If you think you've understand all the stuff taught but need a summary to make them all clear in your head then the Oxford study guide is really good. And as hanniexx said practising is important, and mainly go over the ones you find difficult or couldn't solve on your own. (not personal experience, advice only)

Do you possibly have an Oxford Revision guide for Physics?

Whats really good is if you could get your hands on the syllabus and go through each and every statement. That will at least secure you a pass. I'm gonna go through it once more right before the actual thing.

Yes, i was planning on doing that after doing a few past papers.. and then hopefully seeing a difference by doing another paper after going though the syllabus. :)

• 1 month later...

Im taking physics standard level, my exam is in Nov. and i got a 3 on all my tests/mocks. Is anyone taking physics SL? Do you have any GOOD study tips? My teacher says i have to memorize the IB Physics Study Guide by Oxford to get at least a 4.Is that true? Also, i have recently got the study guide and always had the course companion. From which book should i study to get better grades? THANKS!!

Well, the study guide should not be your main source when it comes to studying. The most important thing is to do past papers, as many as you can get hold off and preferably the more recent ones, since the physics syllabus is rather new. If you find something you don't understand, then you look in the study guide. As for P1s, I recommnend that you do them on time to get a sense of how it is to write an actual exam.

Also, read the syllabus carefully. Whenever it says "state X" or "define X", make sure you know that definition. For instance "state the law of conservation of momentum" is a VERY common P2 question. And if you're doing astrophysics, "Distinguish between apbsolute and apparent magnitude" is on almost every test.

When it comes to the actual exam, keep cool. Don't get stressed. In P2, you are almost always given the necessary information right before you are asked to calculate something. For example, "The wavelength is X and the frequency is Y, calculate the speed. It travels for 3 seconds, calculate the distance travelled.". If you think of this, you'll realize that they are being rather nice to you. Also, the boundaries for Physics SL are very low (~ 65 % for a 7, if I recall correctly)

:blink:

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Don't use textspeak.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Physics. I don't understand a thing. Mostly because of the fact that I have a lousy teacher. But the bottom line is, I have to understand it and pass my exams well. I have been stuck on 'Wave Phenomena' for two days and the same is going to happen with every other chapter and what's more, I think my textbook sucks (Course Companion - purple cover).

Please help!

Work on practice problems, and if you get stuck, post them on here so maybe someone can help you think through it.

And what concepts specifically do you have questions about. What part of wave phenomena, etc?

Do you understand the formula and how they work and how to manipulate them?

By the way, I know you're frustrated, but using excess CAPS is unnecessary. Thanks for not posting your entire message in caps <_< I'll edit your title.

Do some private lessons, or ask someone you know that is good at physics to help you oute... Physics, I think, is a really hard subject... You should also maybe try to buy another book, but i don't think this is really going to help. And also state here what u don't understand about wave phenomena (cause actually they are quite easy)!