How to Study for Physics? Textbooks, Resources and Tips?

Quajafrie

thaks mate very much!...what about the internal assessment...my teacher never says anything about it...i know about group 4 project but apart from this i dont know how to get the 7 for the 24%weight of the internals...does it have a big impact on the final mark?

thanks very much for your help indeed

seeing as the criteria for the IAs themselves are (as you might have noticed) extremely vague I would stick with what Hamper suggests (there is a whole section in his book which fully dedicated to how a proper phys IA should be written)

Merged:

then again, I spent so much time on my IAs (with the help of dear Hamper) and have not gotten the full 6s on both DE and CE

perhaps my teacher is a harsh marker or... actually, it's because I left them all to the last minute (BADDDD. not do. no) So don't you dare leave it till a day before it’s due!

so yeah, if you make sure you manage your time efficiently and you follow Chris Hamper’s IA guide, I wouldn’t worry ;D

and no problemo, best of luck to you and your IB!

Edited by Keel
Merged Posts

• 4 weeks later...

Tips for Physics Exams from My Physics Teacher

Paper 1:

Identify challenging questions during a read-through of the paper, tackle the easier questions first.

Underline or highlight key words

There can be important but easily missed words, such as "not" and "always".

Eliminate choices you know cannot be correct.

The most obvious answer is likely to be correct.

Do not read too much into the question.

Do not forget that you can write on the question paper, it is sensible to write algebra or numbers in the blank space near a question rather than do the work in your head and risk a slip.

Papers 2 and 3:

Spend your reading time wisely. Your job here is only to select two of the three section B questions. consequently on making a sensible choice that plays to your strengths in physics.

Begin by reading the whole of the question.

You will be penalized for the omission of or an error in units. in your preparation for the exam, try to make the addition or unit to a valve completely automatic.

You will be penalized for an inappropriate number of significant figure in a final answer. You should quote the same number of sf as were used in the question or no more than extra.

Draw graphs and scale drawings carefully. Use a pencil and a ruler. You may be marked on your drawing accuracy.

The number of marks quoted in the answers gives the number of steps in an argument or points in a discussion.

Using the Physics Data Booklet:

know where everything is in the booklet. do not waste time finding your way around it in the exam.

learn the most common equations.

Doing Calculation:

Explain all calculations, even the simplest. if you go wrong, the examiner can look through your work to give partial credit.

You will not usually get marks simply for copying an equation from the physics data booklet. you will gain marks for rewriting it in the form that is required.

Final note:

Take it easy and review all topics based on above tips.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Hellman

Hi guys...i just recently joined the website and I think its great.

I'm writing my physics mocks in like a week or so...and i was just wondering if any May 2011 people could perhaps help? As in, what were the really tricky questions, and that kinda stuff?

P.S< i hope all is well with your IB results!

Thank you in advance!

• 5 weeks later...
BUT whatever you order make sure you (also) get the physics study guide by tim kirk!!!! it has everything with concise explanations and uses the exact ib formulas and gives the perfect notes to study for ib with... its all i use most of the time

Agree, the Kirk covers all the topics concisely, and I use it to revise; but Tsokos has more detailed information.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's my suggestion:

1. Concept/Theory explanation- Giancoli (use it if you're confused with anything taught in class; however, Giancoli contains some extra stuff that you might not need, so stick to the syllabus)

- Hamper is also pretty good, except some chapters are oversimplified

2. Practice problems- Giancoli and Tsokos (especially Tsokos)

3. Crambook - Kirk, definately (use it with Tsokos while doing practice problems)

• 1 year later...

We use the purple oxford study guide (no special title, just Physics HL Study Guide)

apart from a few inaccuracies, it is really really effective at going through the basics on all topics. It also goes through common questions and reasons through the answers, rather than just stating them. 

• 1 month later...

For the people interested, I created an App for Iphone as part of a project, this App contains several core definitions of all the IB Physics HL course and will be helpful for revising to be able to get those 'easy' points in the examination (questions were you basically have to write a definition).

The App also contains some Revising materials like Past Paper questions,etc. I hope you find it useful.

Here is the link to the Itunes Store so you can download it and install it if you would like to give it a try:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ib-physics-hl/id909543768?mt=8

• 3 months later...

Has anyone seen the new physics book that should've just been released? The one published by Oxford University press? My teacher said she'll order it and see if it's any good, but if anyone has any experience of it, please share, because I'm seriously screwed in physics atm and need a book...

i've bought the new Oxford book for physics. i like it because its simple to understand. However, oxford has not released the answers to the section reviews at the end of each topics online yet. There are more questions in Tsokos's book, but if your looking for understanding, this will help!