• TI-83+
    • TI-84+
    • TI-84 silver edition
    • TI-89
    • TI-Nspire
    • Hewlett Packard
    • Casio
    • ETC :)

As I have to make decision on purchasing a new graphing calculator as the old one seems to be broken somehow after I drop it countless time <_<

I was looking for the review in many websites and realized that TI-89 seems to be a good choice for students who will take Calculus and go-on mathematic-related field in university including engineering. However, I found out that, from wikipedia which is pretty much unreliable sometimes, TI-89 won't be allowed on IB exam. Is that true?? Can someone confirm this information because I can't find any official IB declaration on allowance of graping calculator. Help will be appreciated :D

You can also post your comment on the one you own!! So I can make a better choice as it's pretty much expensive!!

Here is the information I found from wikipedia

All calculator programs must be removed, and CAS (Computer Algebra System) calculators, such as the TI-89, and those with QWERTY keyboards are forbidden. Using them will result in a PRF, and the graders will deduct 10% of their overall work and report it on a PRF. If the calculator box is not filled in, they will give the examinee a calculator penalty of 1 mark and note it on the front cover.
Edited by Argiyama

However, I found out that, from wikipedia which is pretty much unreliable sometimes, TI-89 won't be allowed on IB exam. Is that true??

Hi :D It's true. (unfortunately) we are allowed to use 83 or 84 (if you think of TI). I also haven't read about on IB site, but it's what my teacher told me and I follow him <_<

maybe you could buy a second-hand calc. if it's possible. - you won't spend so much money on it and later you can resell it and buy your dreamed-of 89 :D

I have a TI-84+ and I LOVE it :D My heart sort of jumps everytime I accidently drop it haha.

And yes, there are several things you aren't allowed in the exams. TI-89 or above is not allowed for instance. You can find a list here and here.

I recommend TI-83 or TI-84. They work fantastic with the courses and it is easy to learn how to use them :P

Edited by Afterglow

Guest Vorfield

I used to have a TI-83

it was great for simple things (quick calculations / precalc material)

I recently got the TI 89

Its a powerful calculator and can cut out a lot of my work with its capabilities (integrals, solving equation, etc)

but its really complex (menus to get to everything) and sometimes too much of a hassle when doing simple things (for that I prefer TI 83)

Hehe, same here. Thank goodness I've only done so once though.

Haha, Lucky you. I'm the most clumpsy person ever :P

I recently got the TI 89

Its a powerful calculator and can cut out a lot of my work with its capabilities (integrals, solving equation, etc)

but its really complex (menus to get to everything) and sometimes too much of a hassle when doing simple things (for that I prefer TI 83)

Now THAT'S why they aren't allowed on exams. The complexity would make life so easier....

hahah...You are like addicted ^^

I used to use my TI 83 for every simple calculation, but since on a one test I wasn't allowed (my teacher's idea) to use calculator I decided to drop it and now I try doing more calculation in my mind :D

Well, that is a good thing. They have after all changed the math SL tests now so that no GDC is allowed on paper 1...but I still love my calculator :P

My teacher is really addicted to TI for some reason. He has all kind of them and they all look so good and professional. Well, IB support TI because, according to my teacher, most of the developers are graduated from IB. So that might be the reason behind the scene. :D

Anyway, yea i think i'm going to buy TI-84+ second hand and when I finish my highschool, I want to buy TI-89 Titanium as it looks so good and most of the students in MIT own them!! Too sad they don't allow 89 in IB exams otherwise I wouldn't have to buy TI-84+ but still 84 is also great as I alway borrow from my friend LOL :P TI own IB

Guest iber2468
My teacher is really addicted to TI for some reason. He has all kind of them and they all look so good and professional. Well, IB support TI because, according to my teacher, most of the developers are graduated from IB. So that might be the reason behind the scene. :P

Oh my, IB's taking over the world, one calculator at a time!

My math hl teacher is a TI-representative, he has all the latest awesome gadgets for us to "play with".

Oh my, IB's taking over the world, one calculator at a time!

My math hl teacher is a TI-representative, he has all the latest awesome gadgets for us to "play with".

Haha same here. He owns pretty much every series such as Ti83+, 84+, 2 silver editions yet different color :P , TI89+ titanium, TI-Nspire, TI link presentation, TI wife, and TI kids. :D Those are just the one he always use in the class. Whether he wants to teach us to the best, or he enjoys living with TI, or he's having fun with technology, I don't know. Yet I found myself enjoy manipulating circles and those figures (geometry) in TI-Nspire program :D

btw, our social teacher use window 2000 and old-fashioned projector.....since 1994 :D so conservative

Guest PollyPeptide

Hahaha TI-wife? What is that? Sounds like something that can do your laundry and grocery shopping o_O

I have TI-84, because I refused to pay 100 SEK extra for a grey cover. All students taking Science subjects are addicted to their calculators.. I always laugh when I see math HL students calculating stuff like 40/8 in their TI-84.

Well thanks to one of IB's many restrictions, I can't use my TI-89 for just about anything. Thankfuly I'm taking AP math so i'm safe to use it there. But for IB things I'm forced to use the prehestoric TI-84 plus sylver edition, which after using the TI-89 and the voyage 200 (the edition after the TI-92) feels like playing with your sega genesis system after getting a PS3.

v200-big.gif

Edited by ezex