Regretting taking math HL

Amber

I decided to take math HL for next year (grade 11). But everyone keeps scaring me about it. All my future iB friends have all taken English HL. They all keep telling me about how math HL is like suicide. Like how these kids who took regular math had like 98%, they came into math HL and ended up with 60%. I don't want my mark to be 60%! To give some of my background, I am NOT a genius, but I do enjoy math a lot. For those of you that know the Cayley math conest, I got 114 points, putting me in the top 15% of kids my age with math. I enjoy math class currently, becaues I am in regular classes, and it is so easy. I have always been in "regular" math, and never had to work hard in the class. Outisde of school I attend a math club, where we do hard, and weird questions, just for fun. Although I don't undertand them frequently, I love doing it. What do you think? Should I take math HL or not? Besides that does math HL include calculus?

• Like 1

Yes... HL Math has a large component of calculus; differentiation and integration and applications of it in real life. Took four months to finish calculus. I suggest you take HL Math and switch later if you really want to. You will need to get used to hearing 60% as your mark because standards and goals fall when you take this subject. 60% is a 6 in the IB though which is very high for HL Math compared to a 7 in SL Math.

You will also need to work hard. If you consistently practice throughout the programme, you can get a 7 easily.

By the sounds of it, you seem to be a Math person more than an English person. English A1 HL is a pain by the sounds of it. You literally have to study 20 books and then be prepared for an oral commentary on any one of them. Any other questions?

You literally have to study 20 books and then be prepared for an oral commentary on any one of them. Any other questions?

This is a slight exaggeration! Your oral commentary is on a short extract from a maximum of 4 works of literature you know beforehand, I believe, and in total you study far less than 20 books. I think it's more like 3 + 3 + 4 + 4 works of literature, if I've added that up right! And that's at HL, with 2 years to do it (and not all of those are books, they're plays or poems which're tonnes shorter).

My advice would be to see what the people in the years above you think. Maths is very relative -- for instance being in the top 15% at Maths in the UK doesn't mean squat as to how well you'd do at HL Maths as our courses pre-IB are nowhere near as complicated or rigourous. However our English courses are virtually identical to the IB so HL English is a doss where HL Maths is a sophisticated form of torture. In conclusion, a lot of it is about what you've been taught BEFORE the IB and then how well that links up with the IB. If it links up well and you're prepared to put the effort into it, HL Maths may be the right choice. It is very difficult, however, so would require a lot of time and if it's not necessary for you in later life, most people avoid it to make sure it doesn't drag their overall score down. If the years above you have scored 6s and 7s, it's possible, and that's the criterion I'd value above all else when deciding.

• Like 1

So do you think I have a chance of getting a "7" in math HL?

BTW I am also an englishy person aswell, especially when it comes to writing poetry. I love reading books and stuff. In regular school i am getting an A in both english, and math. HELP

I heard calculus is almost impossible. my brother took AP calculus and dropped out, because it was so hard. So now I am worried.

• Like 1

Well you have to do some calculus in SL Maths anyway, unless you do Studies.

I should also add that English has no creative writing in it -- the key skill is literary analysis which, to my knowledge and having spoken to various people (I may be wrong, apologies if so!), doesn't seem to be a major part of how English is taught in most places outside the UK, so how you're doing now may be a poor indicator of how you'll find IB English. Just like in the UK getting top marks in Maths the year before is virtually useless for saying you'll be any good at IB Maths. Again, I think the people in the best position to give you an answer are the people from the same background as yourself -- i.e. the years above you!

• Like 1

I actually found calculus to be one of the most enjoyable maths topics *shrugs* =) don't worry about it too much, people like to complain about calculus but I don't think it's really that hard for math-oriented people.

I'm taking HL math, switched to it 5 weeks ago because I found SL really easy (and I what I think I want to study requires HL). I had to take a test 3 weeks ago in the class, and I studied for 30+ hours over the weekend (I had to make up about 3 and a half months of material in that time) and I got a 64% which my teacher very kindly curved to an 80% :)

I'm really really enjoying the class, I missed the challenge of math in SL maths.

I also had a really tough time picking classes at the start of IB. I'm taking HL English and while I love reading, I find it to be an extremely challenging class (probably easier than HL maths, but I haven't stuck with maths that long). Maybe because I dislike poetry and am generally unmotivated when it comes to IA's :rofl:

anyway, I wish you luck with whatever you choose and give HL maths a shot, you can always drop down =D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I used to be great at HL math, now I'm scraping by with a 2. And exams are very, very soon. My advice: don't do it!!! Unless you take four HLs. But if you're good at anything else, choose that as your HL, not math. MathHL will always be a mistake unless you really aren't very good at anything else...

• 2 weeks later...

I actually found calculus to be one of the most enjoyable maths topics *shrugs* =) don't worry about it too much, people like to complain about calculus but I don't think it's really that hard for math-oriented people.

I'm taking HL math, switched to it 5 weeks ago because I found SL really easy (and I what I think I want to study requires HL). I had to take a test 3 weeks ago in the class, and I studied for 30+ hours over the weekend (I had to make up about 3 and a half months of material in that time) and I got a 64% which my teacher very kindly curved to an 80% :D

I'm really really enjoying the class, I missed the challenge of math in SL maths.

I also had a really tough time picking classes at the start of IB. I'm taking HL English and while I love reading, I find it to be an extremely challenging class (probably easier than HL maths, but I haven't stuck with maths that long). Maybe because I dislike poetry and am generally unmotivated when it comes to IA's ;)

anyway, I wish you luck with whatever you choose and give HL maths a shot, you can always drop down =D

Hi Lexie,

Just want to have a quick chat with you regarding HL and SL Math, as we are in the same year and my exams are also in May 2011.

I really enjoy doing Math and I find Math SL quite easy since the beginning of the academic year, and I did think of switching to Math HL. However, as I entered the school about a month late, the IB coordinator have questioned me if I can cope with what I had missed. Clearly, I found that the topics studied in SL were what I had done in the past, and I had no problems catching up. However, I didn't transfer to HL Math because I was afraid I couldn't cope for the next 2 years, the HL Math teacher won't like me in the class since I have missed so much, and that I will regret in the future for making my life so difficult with HL Math.

Now, I am regretting that I didn't transfer earlier on in the year, and I really envy my friends in HL Math for doing so much fun stuff, though it is hard. Some of the courses I am considering to take in University needs HL Math as well. Since you transfered about 2 months ago and likewise have missed half the year,do you still think that it would be a good idea for me to talk to my Math teacher to see if I can transfer at this stage?

Thanks!

So do you think I have a chance of getting a "7" in math HL?

BTW I am also an englishy person aswell, especially when it comes to writing poetry. I love reading books and stuff. In regular school i am getting an A in both english, and math. HELP

I heard calculus is almost impossible. my brother took AP calculus and dropped out, because it was so hard. So now I am worried.

Differential calculus is much easier than integral calculus.

Hi Amber, well this was originally directed to you but I guess people got really into the conversationn haha. Hmm, look, studying and learning is not about getting a 7. I'm all for taking challenges and I changed to HL math this year and did the entire HL math syllabus in less than 8 months. It was crazy and really hard, and I just took two of my IB math exams and didn't do as well as I'd hoped because I did study a lot. But it feels good because I know I tried and that I learned a looot which is going to help me in university.

Plusss, if you really do care that much about the grade, then you are going to be extra motivated to do it, and a 5 in HL math is much more impressive than a 7 in SL math.

If you havee any questionss tell me =) I'd be happy to help. And yesss, there were times when I said, What the hell am I doing but, its all worth it! IB is reeally demanding and difficult, but totally worth it- I say- because you learn much more than a normal high school student.

People might find that this topic is hard, or that topic is hard, but in the end, it's all about your motivation to work for your goals. If you have the necessary motivation to work for the subject you're taking, then you will almost definitely do well on it.

Taking Math HL isn't easy, but if you have the will to do exercises every day and practice what you've learnt every time you have a chance, then a 7 is not hard. Math HL is not an impossible course, people still get 7's in it, otherwise there wouldn't be a proper curve for the IB.

I say just follow what you want and what you know you can do. If you can stand the hard work that comes with Math HL (which I think you can stand since you're already interested in solving hard questions), then you can definitely take on HL.

Hope i helped =)

• Like 1

Don't listen to any of these whiney people. Math HL is a challenge, but not suicide. About 5-10% of all HL math students worldwide get sevens each year, but this is true for any HL course. If you enjoy math, then you should definitely give it a try. If you like it after a year, you stay, if you don't you can always move down to SL. But if you start in SL, you may always wonder how HL could have been and it is nearly impossible to move up from SL to HL. Plus, colleges and Uni's look very possitively at IB HL math, just because it is so challenging. I would advise you to definitely give it a shot.

• Like 1

5-10%? I heard it was like 400 people in the world, but whatever. Math HL is most likely the hardest HL course, but if your goal is too pass you definatley can. It just requires a lot of focus and ability to comprehend large ranges and three dimensional planes ect.

Definatly give Maths HL a try, it will be hard and painful at times but you will enjoy it! In fact, you will probably do better in HL than in SL. I'm doing SL and really wishing i'd done HL because I miss the intellectual challenge and now i'm struggling in SL because i'm bored and can't be bothered to put any effort in... you can always drop to SL if you dont like it.

I'm a bit surprised with the advice from some people. It's NOT the math topics that are hard, if you have a good teacher and ask questions when unclear it shouldn't be hard to understand the material. What makes HL harder than SL, is that the approach which you have to take to answer questions is quite different. Basically, in SL you get taught HOW to do ALL the problems that could come up on your exam - in other words, you will be working more on methods of solving problems (like step 1, do this, step 2 do that...). There won't be much of a challenge aspect, so as long as you do HW and practice to a certain extent on tests you won't really be challenged. You might not like that from what you said.

In HL, there is a MUCH greater focus on concepts and WHY you do problems the you do them. The reason that this is done is because exams contain a large number questions types which you will have never encountered before, and will have to think about concepts rather then methods of solving them. To break the comparison down to a very simple level, in SL it might only be enough for you to know that you need to set equations to zero to solve them, while in HL you will need to understand why you use zero and understand the concept (in this case the zero product property).

So, finally, think of it this way - when you do problems in your class right now, do you remember the way the teacher did and just follow the process without thinking? If you think so, you are more likely suited for SL. If, as you go along solving problems, you think about the meaning of the processes and manipulations you do and also understand why you do them, then HL is probably better for you. Throughout my two years in HL math, I can tell that I've seen this over and over and that is really the main difference between the two - not so much the topics covered.

Finally, how fast are you when solving problems? Do you usually finish test first? In HL math, time pressure is much more of a factor than SL, so you will need to work efficiently and fast enough to finish. This is a less significant point though, what I said before really matters so think about that. Ask me more questions if you need.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello

I personally think Maths HL is very much doable. I got 7 for semester 1 without too much trouble. Granted, I switch to SL after that because my college was forced by IB to take English HL, which is a p.i.t.a, but anyway Maths HL shouldn't be too much of a problem. Granted, I'm smart, but all you have to do is to understand the concept, think clearly, and apply!

Maths SL, on the other hand, is a blast because I didn't have to study and still got 94 for Semester 2 LOL!

Again, that's only because I'm unbelievably smart. I can't believe how narcissistic I'm being right now.

Bottom line: Maths HL is doable.