Regretting taking math HL

Amber

in sl I made a halo machinima that was actually sort of related to the topic for the final project and got an a on it, that was how chill it was. hl stinks, but fm is a party since everyone gets an a as long as they actually do work in class. besides the test of course. seriously the school needs to revise the math, hl is much too hard and some of the material we are covering isn't even an option or a core on the test o.0

I just started Math HL and the pace is ridiculously fast- I have been keeping up, but just barely. For anyone whose taken Math HL, what exactly makes it hard? So far, the content itself has been relatively easy. Does it start simple (albeit fast-paced), then get harder?

P.s: we're just about done with the Algebra part of the syllabus (induction, sets, binomial theorem, etc.)

I just started Math HL and the pace is ridiculously fast- I have been keeping up, but just barely. For anyone whose taken Math HL, what exactly makes it hard? So far, the content itself has been relatively easy. Does it start simple (albeit fast-paced), then get harder?

P.s: we're just about done with the Algebra part of the syllabus (induction, sets, binomial theorem, etc.)

Yeah wait till you get to calculus and then graphic equations...MAN THOSE ARE TOUGH!!!

Dude, Its all about effort...You have to REALLY push yourself in Higher Level Math.

helloooo

well in my school here we can change subjects in the first month, and we can also change levels in the first semester.

I had a problem, choosing what HL subjects to take but finally after talking to some teachers and seniors, I made up my mind. I take 4 HL subjects first (english B, math, physics, chemistry) and I will drop one of the sciences in the end of semester 1 :)

if your school allows you to change level, just try first for both and see how it's going :)

• 12 years later...
On 7/4/2010 at 4:09 PM, master135 said:

Math HL is doable - even though it is one of the more difficult subjects in IB. I took it, didn't like it while doing it, but am glad I did it. I feel it prepared me well for university. Math SL on the other hand its pretty easy (IMO) if you are good at math. So if you need it, or are going into something with Math - take HL. Otherwise SL would be a good choice.

I finished my Math 31 IB HL course and have to say it is a whole other level of difficulty from what it used to be, they must've found too high of an enrollment or competition from various higher level courses such as AP and decided to ramp up the rigor. Now the first thing you learn is a whole new unit of proofs and complex numbers, then the rest of the units had exams where you didn't get practice that was on a similar level to the questions on the test. Most of the practice was on the SL syllabus and provided barely and help when it came to solving a 22-30 mark test in which many of the questions required you did every single piece of practice you could find (like many of my partial IB collegues did while I am in the Diploma program with 4 HL's since they had so much spare time) in hopes that the same type of questions were on the test in order to solve them. If you didn't or can't do what I just said (to anyone potentially having the same problem), do not hesitate to stick to SL. I finished with a damn 100% in Math 30-1 IB, only to end with an 85% in 31 (after mark adjustment...yeah it's interesting). Even upon discussing with the SL's about their test questions vs the HL's, I could solve their hardest problems with my eyes closed, everything you do in class happens to be on the tests (like in the 30-1 IB course), so with minimal studying you can do really good. On the other hand HL requires maximum effort and studying daily if you even want to consider getting anywhere above a 90%, or just be a mathematical genius (I know about 3 in my class, one of which got like top 60 in a Waterloo competition). I have a group of friends all in partial IB who have above 95% before adjustment, they are insanely good and consistent, but one of them told me he studies math for like 10-15+ hours everyweekend, so even with other classes he has the time to do that and enjoy some of it. I personally found it easier to let my other HL's carry my mark and started letting math slip away, I've always thought I had a natural talent being able to manage so many IB courses (all of which are geared towards engineering), but it doesn't matter unless you choose courses that you have time to perfect and friends to help you along the way. ANyways, I hope this helps anyone who has asked a similar question. This is just my experience as of now, hope your is better than mine! Note: university engineering programs often require 2 math 30 level courses, so I hope my two Alberta (provincial) marks which are 100% and 85% won't hinderance my acceptance into astrospace or mechanical engineering, if it does I might have to grind out for my IB exams and hope to get above a 40/45 for my Diploma (that would be a dream). I wish you the best, do the same for me! Good luck.

Best regards,

Justin