Mandarin

Guest Welle

Okay...just thought I would bring this up

I'm a Chinese-Canadian...in Canada...

So I am a native speaker, which is why I took HL Mandarin, to get an easy mark...'cept there's one huge problem...

I have no idea what I should be doing in the class, I can self-teach...but I have no syllabus...

my question to the fellow Mandarin B HLs...

what textbook (if any) do you use?

do you have access to past exam papers or IB mandarin syllabus?

and general question to IB students

what would you do if your teacher can't really teach...seriously, when I asked her what are we going to do before May for review...she said "what's going on in May?"

just to emphasize on how bad my mandarin class is...we switched total of four teachers, in 8 months...and the fourth one doesn't know what IB Mandarin is...

what should I do? :P

Well if you are a native Chinese speaker then first off you shouldn't be taking Chinese B, because that is intended for people who studied Chinese as their SECOND LANGUAGE, you should be taking Chinese A1 or A2 as it would be highly unfair for you to get that "easy 7" while people like me struggle cough

Sorry that was a bit too negative.. but as a native speaker you shouldn't NEED to study anything..

Good Luck!

Well if you are a native Chinese speaker then first off you shouldn't be taking Chinese B, because that is intended for people who studied Chinese as their SECOND LANGUAGE, you should be taking Chinese A1 or A2 as it would be highly unfair for you to get that "easy 7" while people like me struggle cough

Sorry that was a bit too negative.. but as a native speaker you shouldn't NEED to study anything..

Good Luck!

Let the man have his easy seven. It's none of your business really :P .

You don't really need to teach yourself anything. Look through the lang B syllabus (it's the same for all subjects) and practice on past papers so you'll know what the exam is like. Don't have your orals on a topic that's too easy, you'll get a good mark if you put some effort into it. It really is nothing more than that :P .

Good Luck!

First...I'm in Canada, we have English A1 and that's the only A1 language they offer...

uhh...don't wanna sound like a noob...but what's A2? If it's like self-taught...I tried that already...my teacher made me drop it 'cause the books I chose (well...most of the books on the WPL) weren't "available" in any way...

In a way...I was kinda forced to take B...I was suppose to be a Spanish student...but that hope kinda got screwed over 'cause the counsellors (the people who make up schedules) in my school are dumb...

@ Deissi: that's what I'm trying to do...I just found someone who has the exam...I'm trying to find a language syllabus...

And thanks Aboo...^^

*Geesh did I accidentally put myself as male again?

Edited by TeeBlake

tee blake is female? ...

anyways, if you are native Chinese speaker, then you are sweet. You just need to work on your essay-writing skills.

Wow...mistyrose is not a native speaker and taking B HL? ... Or does she mean her English skills are better and therefore Chinese counts as her second language? If that is the case, you can probably say that for Tee Blake as well...

I think people just see the ADIDAS sign and automatically relates that to a guy hehe

Sorry Tee Blake..

It's OK, I don't have a problem with you getting that easy 7 ^^ I'm usually not THAT mean hehe

Forester: My first language is English, Chinese is my second language. But yea I'm Chinese... However..

OK I won't go into my extremely complicated family background..

Edited by MistyRose

• 2 weeks later...

I was french educated until I transfered to IB this year (junior year). I'm taking French B HL and on the second week of IB she gave us a past official exam and it was a piece of cake. I would've gotten a 7 without studying anything. Our teacher gives us harder stuff to work on in class though. So don't worry, if you're fluent and know the basics you're good to go.

Good Luck!

lol i'm a native chinese speaker too and i'm also taking chinese b for the easy 7. I think the bilingual diploma would be too stressful.. and yeah as a native speaker the chinese B exam is REALLY easy... Doesn't require much studying. The chinese taecher gave us a past exam and I finished it in half of the time that was given, and got almost full marks. And my chinese honestly isn't that good since I've been in an international school most of my life. so don't worry too much about it.

Hi,

I will study the IB next year and want to take Mandain ab initio. Anyone here who has studyed this language so far? Is it very difficult?

thanks

Um it's definitely quite challanging. I'm a native speaker and...well I think it might be very different (as you can see frm the characters) But the people taking ab intio seem to be coping.

I wouldn't say mandarin is easy if you start from scratch.

Do you already have your basic foundation?

I've been doing mandarin since I was in Kindergarten and looking back, the whole process was ALOT of practicing, watching Mandarin drama, and having a Chinese Speaking Background would help you.

Just remember, Chinese words... Definitely tiring. but It'll be a bonus that China will soon become a superpower... one day when its milk is perfectly normal.

Hi,

I will study the IB next year and want to take Mandain ab initio. Anyone here who has studyed this language so far? Is it very difficult?

thanks

Seeing that i have lived in China for the Past 6 years and having learned the language for 5 of those cruel years i know quite a bit about chinese.

Ab initio subjects are generally quite easy, Chinese Ab Initio (from what i've heard from fellow students) isn't that difficult. After a two year period you need to be able to describe pictures which you with 200 chinese characters. That's quite an easy task.

If you have any questions about the Chinese language contact me at: [email protected]

Ducth A1 SL (self-tuaght)

English A2 HL

Geography HL

Chemistry HL

Math SL

Physics SL

(5 years of Chinese as language B)

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I must agree.

Chinese is really really really hard if you don't have a Chinese background.

Andrew, if Im not mistaken, i think i go to the same school as you.. does it start with a K?

hehe if it doesn't then don't worry.

Ya it starts with a K and ends with a N.

Dove as a symbol?

Are you in my year? Year 1 IB?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I did not take Mandarin but I love the language. In my country, Mandarin is among the major language as some of the community here are Chinese people. I like to hear them talk and understand a few common words. I think, to make it easy for one to learn this language is by watching many Mandarin drama or movie. In a month, you can catch up with it.

Jia You! >.<