Mandarin

Guest Welle

Guest PollyPeptide

I don't study it at school, but since I speak this language.. I don't actually think it's very hard, at least not in the beginning. Grammar-wise it's dead easy. You just have to get used to the whole system. But ab initio is usually not very hard, so it should be ok :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm taking Mandarin B SL. Comparing the syllabus between B and ab initio, the latter is immensely easier. However, if your first language is english, spanish or french, you will have a harder time with the sentence construction than people whose native language is japanese. The disparity between the accent and pronunciation of english and mandarin is also very significant. Good luck though. :P

Hi,

I will study the IB next year and want to take Mandain ab initio. Anyone here who has studyed this language so far? Is it very difficult?

thanks

Hey I have been doing Chinese (Mandarin) B for 4 years at the end of this year and I will be contining to do it throughout my IB. In Chinese B, you need to remember a large number characters for essays, remember your sentence structures well; in all forms whether it be past tense or present form, and know different styles of writing styles whether it be e-mails, diary entries or a letter to a friend. Chinese B will only become difficult if you don't put the effort in, especially due to remembering a large vocabulary! (I'm sure many ppl here will agree!)

Although with Chinese AB initio i'm not sure how much more or less difficult it will be.

Hi,

I will study the IB next year and want to take Mandain ab initio. Anyone here who has studyed this language so far? Is it very difficult?

thanks

Hey I have been doing Chinese (Mandarin) B for 4 years at the end of this year and I will be contining to do it throughout my IB. In Chinese B, you need to remember a large number characters for essays, remember your sentence structures well; in all forms whether it be past tense or present form, and know different styles of writing styles whether it be e-mails, diary entries or a letter to a friend. Chinese B will only become difficult if you don't put the effort in, especially due to remembering a large vocabulary! (I'm sure many ppl here will agree!)

Although with Chinese AB initio i'm not sure how much more or less difficult it will be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rudolflai

Hey,

I come from a Hong Kong IB School and we have mandarin AB there XD

I think it is not really easy, but if you put your effort in it, you would no doubt score well.

only that you need to forget english,

before yu learn Chinese =p

But Chinese characters are a pain, so be prepared to put in effort.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Mandarin is naturally not hard for people who have parents that speak Mandarin ^.^ My school offers most IB languages as long as you request it early and I'm sure any school can gather the materials for you to self-study. Some students in the past at my school self-studied Japanese and Korean, and what do you know?- they spoke it as a mother language. And looking at the future prospects of Chinese business, Mandarin certainly is an important language. I believe anyone can do well as long as they practice!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

thanks

I used to take French B, until my school told me i have to take mandarin B because of some stupid law that my country has on its local students (singapore). at first, i thought it was very easy, rather like the local schools' mandarin for secondary 2 (age 14). i thought i've guaranteed myself a 7, until the IOC and IOP came in, and then i realize, i might have to settle for a 6 because the grade boundary for mandarin B is very high. 84% is a 7, and thats quite tough with the oral components added in.