Revising: Digital or on paper?

Caustica

Do you type up your notes or do you write them out by hand?

Traditionally I've always wrote my notes out by hand (but maybe this is just because I like writing). Nowadays, however, many of my friends seem to type their notes up and then print them out.

Which way, in your opinion, is better?

(This isn't just specific to IB btw, but to all exams.)

For history, the ideal is to write them in class and then type them up at home. That pretty much never happens though...

For bio, hand writing for sure... too many symbols/arrows/etc. Plus you can't exactly doodle on a word processor... :P

For math and physics, by hand. I don't know where else I take notes... I'm taking an econ course online... I just highlight and make notes on Word.

Typically, I don't print notes out if they are typed. I read over them on the computer, making changes to them or highlighting them or whatever as I read them. There's not a need to print them.

I guess whichever way you're more efficient at is better. If you can write legibly more quickly than you can type [the legible part is important... :)] then hand writing wins? I don't normally bring a laptop to school, but when I do, I typically take better notes because of it's novelty-ness, I think. If I mostly typed notes in class and on occasion hand wrote notes, the latter might be more detailed.

I have to say one thing about using Word is the AutoCorrect. I abbreviate like crazy, and sometimes the abbreviations only make sense to me, so I worry that Word might autocorrect something that I don't want it to. Just because of convenience, I use pen and paper to take notes. I remember last year I brought my laptop when we had inclass essays because I could type more efficiently--my wrist wouldn't hurt after 30 minutes of hardcore typing ;)

• Like 1

As sweetnsimple said, it changes for each subject. I tend to write notes if i can just because a computer can be distracting at times. But nowdays most assignments require a computer or word procesor, and so it really depends. Word count is helpfull too lol try counting each word of your whole Extended Essay if you had to write it down ;)

Word count is helpfull too lol try counting each word of your whole Extended Essay if you had to write it down :P

HAHA I don't think anyone is serious about writing their EE out ;) I remember once I had to count the number of words in my 800-word-ish essay, and that was horrible already!

Yeah, i lost count like 5 times in a 150 word essay, i couldn't imagine 3000+ words

Also, a tip for those who use google docs... if you have any formatting that you want to keep, don't convert to google docs. It screws it up. But if you want to start something in google docs, it is really helpfull (has double spacing, tabs, word count, ect.).

Internal assessment essays I would always do digitally, but all of my revision notes have always been written out by hand to this day. I guess when I'm typing stuff, my brain is kinda very switched off and although it's faster, it doesn't remember anything of what I've just typed -- whereas if I write stuff I understand and remember it at the same time. No guarantees for how long, ahah. I also notice mistakes and where things don't match up properly when I'm hand writing, which is probably a pretty sure sign that writing notes is an active process and typing notes is a passive process.

I used to prefer writing normal essays (for my more artsy subjects like English and whatnot) by hand as well. Better flow to it and I could do it all in one sitting. Gets me into the zone, for some reason ;) Sadly for research or important essays (IA and EE) where you are expected to go back and change things, this was not really feasible... :P Writing out anything by hand helps me consider it more clearly, whereas typing it doesn't do that at all, my brain just shuts off into automatic mode.

My memory/thinking muscle is connected to my hand muscle or something like that... xP

I write out my notes by hand. I do this for the same reason as Sandwich - it helps me to really think about what I'm writing down and it's easier to proofread this way (imo). If I type an essay, for example, I usually don't notice mistakes on the computer screen, but when I print it out and it's right in front of me, I see right away what I need to change.

I've noticed that too...a lot of people in my class type up study notes and even their day-to-day homework :P

I guess it's good in a way because if you ever lose your notes, you can always print out another copy; but if you've lost your handwritten notes, then you would have to rewrite them ;) But it's a waste to use up all that printer ink just for notes imo.

Assessments word processed, for neatness and ease of editing. But otherwise, revision on paper, definitely. It makes use of kinesthetic learning in addition to the aural/visual from listening to your teacher and watching the demonstrations or seeing what your teacher writes on the board.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Assessments word processed, for neatness and ease of editing. But otherwise, revision on paper, definitely. It makes use of kinesthetic learning in addition to the aural/visual from listening to your teacher and watching the demonstrations or seeing what your teacher writes on the board.

Yeah, a good suggestion, worded a lot nice than i am about to!

I always thought that when revising difficult topics, reading notes or from a book, then writting down the key points.

Also, if you can then speak what you have learnt to someone this helps. I read a large proportion of what you learn, is actually things you say or do (like with your hands - making something etc, etc) yourself. So if you get your mom or friend to test you, and you say your answers aloud it can really help ingrain something into memory (before any B Language orals im sure everybody paced around reciting their oral presentations!)

• 3 weeks later...

I always type notes up and print them out, even with diagram-type things like maths and physics (I can draw the diagrams on the computer).

Our school is a laptop-compulsory school, and a lot of our resources are computer based (electronic textbooks, etc), so it's something I've gotten used to...

I just love handwritten notes, but they take so much longer to write.

But, as with anything, there are always downsides to typed up revision notes (i.e. the corruption of my Chemistry notes - I forgot to back up and I had 88 pages!!!).

For Maths and Biology, definitely a pencil. I bet some people can make really neat notes by using symbols and stuff.. but not me.

Otherwise, languages and History, my trusty computer serves me. Both typing and editing are far more easier. When taking notes in class, efficiency is doubled for sure. I've always planned to print out my notes at some point but guess I'm saving the environment with my laziness.

I type out all my notes, but keep a pencil and paper handy in case I need to draw diagrams, like in Chem or Physics. I scan these when I get back home and just fit them into my typed notes.

Also, a one-word gift from the heavens that Microsoft managed not to screw up: OneNote. This little miraculous piece of software is possibly the best thing to happen to computers since GUI. It keeps all your notes in one place, and you can file your notes however you may wish. It's all in one place, so it's easy to switch between subjects and quickly search through your notes. Best of all, it takes up very little space in terms of file size and processing capacity AND you get all the notes, doodles, homework, whatever in one resplendent piece of software withOUT the millions of pesky Word files and the thousands of folders.

• 2 months later...

I type mine out most of the time these days, just cause there's too much to write!

But I find that writing them by hand is more effective, I tend to forget stuff that I've typed...I remember things much better when I wrote them by hand.

I don't know why but I find that I remember things much better if I actually write them out by hand, as opposed to typing them. So I do this when revising or taking notes in class, especially as my notes tend to be all over the place with arrows etc. and on the page I have the freedom to do whatever I want, even if the result not particulary aesthetically pleasing and illegible to anyone else... Also I find that working on a computer means there is more room for procrastination and distraction... a downside to technology I suppose... But when writing coursework or something like that I do use a computer for obvious reasons (word count, can go back and edit etc.) It's an interesting one, but from what I've seen I think people tend to make less full and useful class notes when using a computer. But then again, I may not have seen much.

Of course essays and IAs and this kind of assignments are written on computer, but I do extensive planning on paper. For notes, I prefer to write them by hand, the mere writing of the notes helps memorising it, and it is easier to make arrows and pictures and so on. However, sometime you'd like it neatly written on computer, but overall I'd say that hand-writing is better.

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously typing things out is easier, so I always produce a soft copy of my notes first and then use those notes to study, by hand. It has been scientifically proven that writing by hand is a better form of studying, as opposed to doing it digitally, as when we write things down, it goes through our brain, thus this is the way I do it.

It would depend how much time you have available (i.e. if you procrastinate or not). If I have time available, I would probably time up the notes formatted and all (with symbols and diagrams). If I don't have time, then I would simply write out the notes. But if I did make a soft copy, I would always write out the notes a few times for actual revision.

type it...its WAY easier...i did some cool things when my class was happening..

We are allowed laptops in our classrooms so I grab mine...and as soon as the teacher is dictating something important or saying something important...I record it using my laptop's webcam and mic so that even 2 years later I can revise from them.

honestly... i find it REALLY helpful especially when i dont understand something during class...i can see it again.

type it...its WAY easier...i did some cool things when my class was happening..

We are allowed laptops in our classrooms so I grab mine...and as soon as the teacher is dictating something important or saying something important...I record it using my laptop's webcam and mic so that even 2 years later I can revise from them.

honestly... i find it REALLY helpful especially when i dont understand something during class...i can see it again.

That's so true! Re-watching a lecture/video can be really helpful, though sometimes it can be a bit time-consuming. Still worth the time though if you don't understand the concept. :)