Portfolio Type I -- Patterns Within Systems of Linear Equations

Sunny.P

Hey, I'm doing this investigation now and for part B I was recommended to do a 3 by 3 extension of the geometric system. Does anyone have a clue as to what sort of pattern I should end up with? Is it going to be related to the Envelope found in the 2 by 2 system?

There's no point, it would be too hard to prove.

I tried anyway :P

Instead of a parabola, you sort of end up with this bowl shaped thing. So the lines, this time, do not enter a three dimensional region. Instead of a 2D, like before.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS

isn't it very obvious, as you can just spot it on the graph?

if it's not obvious try plotting more lines. it's supposed to be a linear FAMILY.

No i don't see it clearly

Maybe i am not aware of the meaning of "linear family" and i dnt think plotting more lines would help because i have about 40 different lines =)

please can you tell me how you can get the equation for the parabola ?

Edited by Austin Glau
no text speak

• 2 weeks later...

Ohoh. This portfolio.

I probably took this one a bit over-the-top...

After doing 2x2 and 3x3 I did nxn for the arithmetic sequence one.

I would've done the same for the geometric bit if I had more than 2 weeks to do it :/

For the part B, I simply dumped the general form into autograph and used the constant controller.

I think I probably had somewhere between 900-1000 lines.

Edited by Hexi

• 1 month later...

so do we have to write about the limitations and scope although it's not in the guiding questions? :o

yes, if you could find any!

more is always expected of HL students so even if the task doesn't tell you they want the limitations to be discussed, you should know already :P it's in the IA criteria though ;)

so do we have to write about the limitations and scope although it's not in the guiding questions? :o

more is always expected of HL students so even if the task doesn't tell you they want the limitations to be discussed, you should know already :P it's in the IA criteria though ;)

where should i better include it? at the end of each part or at the very end of everything?

does for example, a ∈ R suffice as scope/limitation?

where should i better include it? at the end of each part or at the very end of everything?

Yes, but only if you provide examples as to why it doesn't work for (in this example) complex numbers, etc.

Yes, but only if you provide examples as to why it doesn't work for (in this example) complex numbers, etc.

only if you've learnt complex numbers that is. otherwise just state a∈R because you've only tested with real numbers and your teacher would understand.

• 2 weeks later...

only if you've learnt complex numbers that is. otherwise just state a∈R because you've only tested with real numbers and your teacher would understand.

That's true. Keep in mind that your teacher submits what you guys have covered in class when they submit the IA to the IB. So, if you haven't learnt complex numbers, you won't lose marks for not testing your conjectures for complex numbers. Or, you could always teach yourself, and impress the IB, if that's possible :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hint:

x(a+d)+y(a+2d)=a+3d

or

x(a+d)+y(a+2d)+z(a+3d)=a+4d

better to do

ax + (a+d)y = a + 2d

less terms...

You will see the significance later once you solve the question. (on your x and y... WHAT'S LEFT?)

Erm.. I feel stupid for asking this, but how did you get this answer? What chapter is this from?