Future IB students

Bishup

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be the first time that my school has ever run the IB course, and it's probably the reason there are only 25 of us taking it when they were expecting at least 70. Ha ha ha to them.

Still, I come from Ivytown in Southwest England. I'm starting the IB in September.

Any survival tips?

~ J

P.S. I'm planning to take:

Higher Level

• English
  • Biology
  • German

Standard Level

• Psychology
  • Maths
  • Theatre Studies

Interesting! I live in Torquay and am going to a first-time IB school in Sept, too. They planned for 30, but there are around 35/38 of us. I've never heard of Ivytown :D only Ivybridge.. =/

Hi,

I am reading this forum and having a heart attack. I am going into gr 9 pre-IB at Michael Power in Toronto in September and am really scared. Are their any Michael Power IB students who can tell me what gr9 pre-IB is like. I heard most people drop out after gr 9 or gr 10... so I wonder why my parents are pushing it.

Anybody out there from MPSJ?

Is it as bad as they say?

Hi,

I am reading this forum and having a heart attack. I am going into gr 9 pre-IB at Michael Power in Toronto in September and am really scared. Are their any Michael Power IB students who can tell me what gr9 pre-IB is like. I heard most people drop out after gr 9 or gr 10... so I wonder why my parents are pushing it.

Anybody out there from MPSJ?

Is it as bad as they say?

Why are you having a heart attack? Relax! Pre-IB is nothing compared to IB. I did MYP (which is similar to pre-IB plus the Personal Project) for the last few years and I found it pretty easy but then it might just be me. I didn't go to Michael Power. Sure there will be a lot of assignments and tests but that doesn't mean you have to compromise with your social life. The subject content is similar to IGCSE content however the tests are different because instead of plain rote learning and regurgitation, it's more application based. While it's mostly reflection and evaluation, it also prepares you well for IB, especially the English and Science aspect. You shouldn't be scared of the program. I have done it and I ended up with mostly 6's and a couple of 7's. Any questions, let me know. Good luck.

Helloo :)

I plan to take:

English HL (A1)

History HL

Economics HL

Maths SL (:P I'm AWFUL at Maths)

German SL A2

Biology SL

I'm a little scared by Maths as I am AWFUL and am currently predicted a 'B' for GCSE, which I'm sure makes the jump to IB Mathematics even larger. German is also quite terrifying as I am not fluent but am still looking for the bilingual degree.

Economics goes without saying as I have never studied economics in my life. :D

It's safe to say I'll need a lot of extra work this year!

Economics can be hard, so make sure you get ahead. Its difficult to teach and so supplementary material is needed.

Math SL can be difficult in some places, I would ask your fellow students what to do. Some teachers make it killer, other ones work it out well.

Dont do German if you are not fluent, unless you really need the Bilingual Diplomma. You are setting yourself up for a bad decision..A languages mean you are not only fluent, but at IB standards good at what you do.

I wouldn't worry about Economics, hardly anybody has studied it as a subject before reaching IB age. You should be perfectly equipped to do fine :console:

All I would say is to definitely 100% check you can't do Maths Studies instead of Maths Methods SL. Especially if you've only been taught GCSE before, the jump is pretty intense and the timing of the curriculum means you literally whizz through IB, there's no time to really get to grips with any topic unless you've touched on it before or are naturally very gifted. Studies is by far the better course unless you need or may need Maths in the future. It'll give you a higher probability of a 7, definitely. I don't mean to be alarming, but I also did GCSEs and got an A* (although probably just at the bottom end of one! :ashika:) in my maths -- still found the IB Maths SL course an absolute nightmare! It's a lot harder than GCSE and if you struggled with GCSE concepts, really do consider Studies. That's not to say you couldn't cope with Methods, it's just I suspect (as you rightly identified) you will find it a lot of hard work after the GCSE curriculum which is pretty maths-poor, at the end of the day. I certainly did :console:

Good luck!

I'm beginning IB in September '09 and the subjects I've chosen are :

Maths , Chemistry , Economics --> HL

English , Greek , Biology --> SL

Anyone know it would be good to study over the summer just to be a bit prepared before school starts?

I'm beginning IB in September too! =D the subjects I'm taking are

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

History HL

Math SL

French SL

English A1

I would advise you to review your mathematical principles and try to do some preview, I heard IB mathematics is quite devilish!

For Chemistry HL, it's good to go to your local library and pick up a IB Chemistry course companion to try some questions and be ready

for September.

I wouldnt advise using the course companion.....the study guide is much better. A lot of the stuff in the course companion is just copied from the study guide. Just a small tip wink.gif

On another note, math HL is really 'devilish'...while SL should be a breeze.

Hello everybody!

For now, my package is:

HL- English A1, Math, Economics

SL- Mandarin B, Psychology, Physics

However, I'm considering moving Physics to HL and bringing Econ. down to SL.

Any opinions? I plan to study urban planning/architecture in college, but this is subject to change.

Which (Econ HL or Physics HL) is easier to score a 7 on?

Which (Econ HL or Physics HL) is easier to score a 7 on?

Depends on who you are and what your strengths are, but I'd say the general consensus would be Economics. They're both quite challenging subjects, though. Seeing as you're doing Maths AND English at HL I assume you're equally confident with mathematical subjects and essay-based ones, so it'd be close between the two. Physics is acknowledged to be one of the more difficult IB sciences.

• Like 1

I will take:

HL: English B, biology, chemistry

SL: Croatian A1, psychology, math

Dobar dan =) Tvoje klase su iste kao i moje. Ako ti ikad treba pomoci, samo mi reci, uvak imam vremena za drugare iz Croatcije :(

Biologia i Hemija su teske ako ih neucis svaki dan, samo zato sto ima jako puno da se prede.

Ja bi rekao ako stvarno oces sedam za IB u naucnim klasama, moraces da radis sta treba za svaku klasu.

Za biologiju se treba gledati da se procita knjiga pre klase, da bi se razumelo sve pre nego sto se pozne sa profesorom. Prolistaj, pogledaj i zapamti te reci koje su u crnom na primer, i trazi da razumes centralne ideje iza nauke.

Za Hemiju, ja imam Hemski Inginer, i onda bi ti rekao sta mi ona koze - pakao se mora proci da bi se doslo do znanja. Naci uvek uvek uvek radi probleme za Hemiju posle razumljena centralne ideje iza matematike. Aplikazija je sve u Hemiji.

I kad radis Ixperimente, uvek misli o hemiji i pudi spreman. Ako naucnes dobre navikne za labratoriju sada, koleg ce biti vrlo lak!

Sve sa naj bolje!! Super klase imas!

Ako ti ista treba, recimi, uvek sam tu za vas! :P

• Like 1

Depends on who you are and what your strengths are, but I'd say the general consensus would be Economics. They're both quite challenging subjects, though. Seeing as you're doing Maths AND English at HL I assume you're equally confident with mathematical subjects and essay-based ones, so it'd be close between the two. Physics is acknowledged to be one of the more difficult IB sciences.

Thanks for the advice. Right now, I'm leaning towards Physics HL because from what I see, the Economics HL is not much different from the Economics SL, except for the portion on Theories of the Firm.

I'm starting this fall, its my schools first experience with the IB.

HL:

Biology

Chemistry

English

SL:

Math

Psychology

Italian Ab Initio

I'm extremely behind in chemistry as I've barely studied it in school and taking it at a higher level. Otherwise I'm excited for the IB!

Starting IB in late August! I believe our pre-IB years are going to be nothing like IB. It's been so laid back, I don't think I'll ever take it for granted after this year, lol.

English 3 HL

US History HL

Theatre Arts HL

German 3 SL

Bio SL

Math (Calc) SL

Interesting.. you're taking calculus already? So you'll sit for the math exam in May?

I'm starting this fall, its my schools first experience with the IB.

HL:

Biology

Chemistry

English

SL:

Math

Psychology

Italian Ab Initio

I'm extremely behind in chemistry as I've barely studied it in school and taking it at a higher level. Otherwise I'm excited for the IB!

Haha yeah. IB does assume you have previous knowledge.. nothing to fret about yet, though.

But don't be lured into this pitfall:

Starting IB in late August! I believe our pre-IB years are going to be nothing like IB. It's been so laid back, I don't think I'll ever take it for granted after this year, lol.

English 3 HL

US History HL

Theatre Arts HL

German 3 SL

Bio SL

Math (Calc) SL

Interesting.. you're taking calculus already? So you'll sit for the math exam in May?

Mhmm. Could have taken Math HL, but as much as I understand math, I've learned to hate (okay, maybe dislike) math after Algebra 2. Also doing the bio exam in May, so the only SL class I'm taking for 2 years is German. Weird, I know, but in my school, we need 2 free periods to have Civics/Econ and ToK for IB2, so I'm done with science and math after this year! -_-