Future IB students

Bishup

What do you want to do in university? I think HL History would probably in most cases be better and safer than a school-based subject (if the teacher is really bad or something, much harder to self-study I'd say).

Also, if you're not going to do something where you need two A1s (I can't imagine what that would be) you should probably drop either Chinese or English to A2 so the workload doesn't get too big.

Edited by Cynthia

I'll consider taking Chinese A2 if I feel the workload is too great. Same for Maths, may drop to SL if too much I think.

The same teacher teaching History will do the school-based subject, so its basically on equal grounds there, but rather whether it will be as well recognized. The reason why I'd thought Political Thought would be a good idea is because I think I might be heading in this direction in university (Political science) so it may be a good intro and it's my interest. But I'm perfectly fine with History too as I am taking it now anyway.

The recognition is another thing I was thinking of there yeah. You could take it as your 7th subject if you feel like it will really benefit you much and then possibly drop, but I don't know how wise that will be with 4 HLs...

I'm also probably going to be doing Politics (or Law) in uni by the way.

It's going to be the first time that my school has ever run the IB course, and it's probably the reason there are only 25 of us taking it when they were expecting at least 70. Ha ha ha to them.

Still, I come from Ivytown in Southwest England. I'm starting the IB in September.

Any survival tips?

~ J

P.S. I'm planning to take:

Higher Level

• English
  • Biology
  • German

Standard Level

• Psychology
  • Maths
  • Theatre Studies

It's going to be the first time that my school has ever run the IB course, and it's probably the reason there are only 25 of us taking it when they were expecting at least 70. Ha ha ha to them.

Still, I come from Ivytown in Southwest England. I'm starting the IB in September.

Any survival tips?

~ J

P.S. I'm planning to take:

Higher Level

• English
  • Biology
  • German

Standard Level

• Psychology
  • Maths
  • Theatre Studies

DON'T DO IT!!

Other than that, all I would say is that SL maths is more or less = AS maths. So if you wouldn't have continued with maths to AS or A level anyway, and you don't see it coming in handy in your career, unless you're pretty damn good at maths anyway, do studies. British education means maths at SL is hard :P

I will be starting IB in the fall.

Here are the classes I'm enrolled in...

HL- English, History of the Americas, Visual Arts

SL- Mathmatics, Biology, Spanish

TOK!!!

IB is new to my school, so unfortunately there was not a very wide variety of classes to choose from. For example, English and History of the Americas were the only class in there category, and they were only offered at HL.

Our class, the class of 2011 will be the second IB class at our school. I have heard from the first IB class that the program at our school is not very organized yet.

I'm really exited to take Theory of Knowledge because I have taken a similar Pre-IB version with the same teacher. It was a double period class called World Experience. The class was a lot of hard work, but looking back I realize I gained a lot of knowledge and insights. I also got a new and different experience while having loads of fun.

I'm really exited to take Theory of Knowledge because I have taken a similar Pre-IB version with the same teacher. It was a double period class called World Experience. The class was a lot of hard work, but looking back I realize I gained a lot of knowledge and insights. I also got a new and different experience while having loads of fun.

You must have some TOK teacher! Ours were best described as dull as ditchwater. Is World Experience definitely the same thing as TOK?

Guest Chance

Yep, another newbie. I'm starting in new school in september who are pretty new with IB (This years graduating class is their second, I will be their fourth).

So far my choices are

HL History

HL French B

SL Mathematics

SL Spanish B

Then Biology and English, but I can't decide which one I'd rather take HL. English HL is apperently pretty impossible to get 6 & 7s in, and would taking all 'arts' HL make me too arts based? Biology make me a little more rounded. I like and do well in both subjects. Can't decide.

Chance unless you're passionate about litterature, I suggest you take Biology because apparently it's a really enjoyable course and definetely easier to get a higher grade in such as a 6 or 7.

I'm also a newbie and starting school this autumn and I'm taking :

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

Mathematics HL

French A1 SL

Japanese ab initio SL

History SL

yay for newbie-ness :hug: I'm starting this September as well, but my school has a Pre-IB programme for grade 10, so hopefully they're easing us in :]

these are my courses:

English A1 HL

History HL

Chemistry HL

Maths SL

Physics SL

French B SL (well I think its B, I'm not too sure)

But these are pretty much the only courses my school offers in terms of IB, so no changes for me =(

I'm seriously reconsidering my Humanity choice. Should I keep it or change it for Anthropology or Business and Management? I like history and it seems pretty straight forward.

I'm reconsidering my second language. I defo do not want to do English A1 or A2, otherwhise I'd have to self-study Italian, Spanish or Russian B. Italian would be so so easy but I'm not too sure you can self-study another subject apart from your A1 which I will be doing.

Help please :hug:

re Bishup

I think its better to do English or something other language at B than ab initio Japanese. I was told that taking languages in ab initio is not that useful as you dont learn a lot and you will soon forget.

for humanities, history is going to be the more popular choice, but its also good to give something new a try (like anthropology), but I think dont choose Business and Management as that subject is considered a soft subject somewhere i read.

Another May 2011-er =] I took: English A1 (yay!), Arabic A2 (boo!), History (YAY!), Biology (YAY!), chemistry (BOOOOO!), and Math SL (BOOOO!).

I wish I had a wide array of subjects to choose from. I personally hate chemistry, but it was either that or ITGS (and I'm not into technology/perspectives/memorization). The only subject I'm pretty much excited about is History (or specifically, Islamic History) and Biology. I bought a book about the history of Islam and I'll start reading it this summer. I'm freaked about Math SL because many of those who chose it in their first year drop it for Math Studies in the second year. I'm supposed to be the exception to that, though, because I took a "Pre-IB" Math class which really just retaught us what we learned in Math 10. Ugh.

I'm beginning IB in September '09 and the subjects I've chosen are :

Maths , Chemistry , Economics --> HL

English , Greek , Biology --> SL

Anyone know what it would be good to study over the summer just to be a bit prepared before school starts?

Edited by Smid

Studying ahead is definitely wise! But be careful!!

I tried to do the same and kind of failed at it, and lost valuable time. I now know after Junior year what summer studying is, and on daily basis I struggle at times to open that stupid chemistry/biology book.

In the rudiments of IB I lingered on about naming chemicals and looking at things that were not so important. I say, go to the syllabus directly and learn the things on there - the expansion will come in class, and your understanding as you go on. But you can definitely memorize and learn those things, and then move ahead with them. That is, you can easily learn how to name organic compounds - later on your teacher will build on the elementary material. Start building your house of knowledge now ^_^

I'm beginning IB in September '09 and the subjects I've chosen are :

Maths , Chemistry , Economics --> HL

English , Greek , Biology --> SL

Anyone know it would be good to study over the summer just to be a bit prepared before school starts?

I'm beginning IB in September too! =D the subjects I'm taking are

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

History HL

Math SL

French SL

English A1

I would advise you to review your mathematical principles and try to do some preview, I heard IB mathematics is quite devilish!

For Chemistry HL, it's good to go to your local library and pick up a IB Chemistry course companion to try some questions and be ready

for September.