The 'Something I always wanted to know the answer to' thread

Vvi

why do i always study my butt off for huge tests, and end up getting worse grades than people who barley cracked the textbook!? not fair!

That's how life is - unfair :no: I guess it's IQ!? Some people just have "the" brains, others don't...

• 2 weeks later...

why do some people have a goal in life to annoy others?

A person in my high school used to be like that. At least for him he didn't get any attention from people unless he was annoying them so it went around in circles, people overall not giving him attention because he was so annoying vs. him being annoying because he didn't get any attention otherwise.

My Question: Why do I always start to hum when I draw?

(I always hum different random melodies, everything from main stream to silly ad jingles to children's songs and classical)

• Like 1

Because humming helps you to artistically reveal your emotions. See, both singing and drawing is art, therefore there is nothing surprising about humming when drawing. Art cannot be separated completely, and you make it even more enjoyable by combining different types of art together! :coffee:

My Question: How does the toothpaste come out with different colors not mixing together?

OK, so you're 17 when you start grade 11 then? And A-level is sort of equivalent to IB diploma? And what's SAT? I've heard some people mention it here.

The SAT is a multiple choice exam.

SAT I consists of Critical Reading, Writing and Mathematics. Each section is worth 800 points of your score. The three sections mean 2400 points in total. A good score is usually 2000+ for American university admissions. Some people even achieve 2400/2400; a perfect score which looks really good for university applications. American universities heavily focus on the SAT test scores of applicants.

My question: why have so many british people bad teeth?

Why have so many non-British people bad english? :|

Just kidding xP But seriously, I have no idea. I'm blaming genetics and an impoverishment of NHS orthodontists I honestly think many Brits don't even realise there's a need to fix the old toothypegs and consider a brace something to pull your trousers up with. Being fair, bad teeth are less frequent in young people :P

• 1 month later...

Because humming helps you to artistically reveal your emotions. See, both singing and drawing is art, therefore there is nothing surprising about humming when drawing. Art cannot be separated completely, and you make it even more enjoyable by combining different types of art together! :D

My Question: How does the toothpaste come out with different colors not mixing together?

its thick enough that it doesn't mix

although once you get to the end of the tube it does

• 2 weeks later...

what's the meaning of "honours" as in "Master of Arts with Honours French and Linguistics*"?

*Taken from Hyperbole's Profile.

I Googled it and got this http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/study/undergrad/ling/

It's specific to the uni she's going to I suppose, and you can ask her for more details.

Often for US colleges, "Honors" is like the normal major with more requirements--maybe you have to write an extra paper/thesis and/or take more courses and have a certain GPA. It varies, and there's not always an honors option, but if there is, it's like you have a few more hoops to jump through. Hard, but you get recognition when you apply to graduate school. I don't think your employers really care if you do Honors or not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...