IB Girls and Guys

bolan14

there is no such thing as underage reading, or the illegal watching of movies (except for pirated movies etc. but you know what I mean)... but there is such a thing as underage drinking and illegal drug use. I wouldn't call respecting the law limiting myself needlessly.

it's like saying "oh I see, you don't want to rob this house because you're so high and mighty with all your morals and illusion of righteousness of moral superiority, so therefore you are just as bad as this person who robbed the house because they wanted to look cool in front of their friends."

There is illegal book reading and movie watching, as you have stated yourself. DO you think that listening to music you didn't buy is immoral?

I think I have neglected to make a point I found to be very obvious. I use the word "needlessly" because there is NO need. I don't think that these activities are morally wrong. They don't hurt other people, and they don't even hurt yourself except in extreme excess. I can respect the fact that you want to abide by the law, and while I wouldn't go so far as to compare 17 year old lovers to Ghandi, sometimes it's OK to break rules.

No need to apologize for yourself if you're supporting your thoughts well. And I suppose it has come down to the fact that our differing philosophies. Hell, I even disagree with you on your thoughts that alcohol is better than drugs. IMO it should be alcohol which is for the fringes and pot for the socially acceptable masses. And if you have actually tried all this stuff and have rejected it, that's all the more reason you should refrain from self-deprecating. That's my choice as well.

Though before we break the conversation, may I ask why morals and laws are so strongly connected in your mind?

Hey, I go to an IB school here in Thailand

There are some schools that definitely have students going out and doing it. However, me and my Thai friends are pretty much 'nerds' just like how most Asians are stereotyped. I tend to think that generally Thai people find simple things and as predominantly Buddhist country we were raised to stay away from alcohol, drugs, cigarettes as they are considered sinful. But that's a religious view.

I've never smoke, drink, do drug, or even go out partying all night. As a Thai it's easy to find simple pleasures: video games, football (soccer), and laughing your behind out at stupid jokes and pranks cause we have loads of them!

Not making a lot of sense here but I still think there are decent people in the world.

Bangkok, Thailand

They actually just legalized marijuana in my city. We have three shops servicing three hundred thousand people-and they are rolling in the dough. I have a hard time believeing that it is lethal in any way.

Its not...The only side effects to weed are slightly increased risk of a heart attack (about as much as a twinkie or a double cheeseburger) and a chance for latent mental illnesses (i.e. schizophrenia) to develop. But that's more for hallucinogens like LSD, DMT, salvia, shrooms, etc, and even then, its only if the potential to develop it is there. Its actually pretty hard to overdose on many of those drugs, unless you're incredibly dumb.

That being said, I'm straight edge and don't do any of that. But I'm usually the one stuck taking care of me friends when they all get superbaked :/ I don't mind

what's legal and what's illegal? who enforces the laws and who breaks them?

In my entirely personal opinion, you really can't generalize and of course judge others without judging yourself. Haven't you ever make a mistake in your life? Of course I'm against drug and alcohol abuse, but you can't just step aside If you actually see your "so called friends" doing it, right? What I mean is that if you actually care about smb then you, at least, should try to help him/her.

A bunch of my close friends have been drunk (me aswell) or have done pot but that doesn't make us less intelligent from those who haven't. On the contrary, I think those experiences have help us grow, be a little more mature and of course recognize who our true friends are (besides the fact that we'd probably never be drunk again).

About the side effects of alcohol and drugs, of course you are expose to a lot of dangerous situations like being raped (in the worst case scenario). That's why, If you want to get drunk or get high, you should do it in your house (if your parents allow you haha) or somewhere safe, not in... idk an open party for instance.

If you want to have fun, why can't you have it in a safe way? Parties are not that dangerous If you are with the right people and the right intentions. Anyways, anywhere you go, you'd probably find these stuff. It is beneath your own self control and your (moral) values to do what's right or wrong. Do not restrinct yourself meaningless.

About the having sex issue... I'm a catholic and do know that having sex with anybody is a sin (besides being immoral) but it is definitely not a sin to have sex with someone you love wether you are married or not. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that we, teenagers or young adults (called it as you like), are free to have sexual relations with our boyfriend or girlfriend because we "love" them. Love... what a difficult thing to explain, right? That's why I think it's difficult to find and that's why we all should wait until we find the right one. If you've already find "the one" then why can't you wait? Love can.

hope someone shares my personal beliefs :P

• Like 1

This obviously can be used as a TOK question on morality :P

well, as a Christian, i believe that God has set the standards for what is right and what is wrong.

I'm studying in a IB school in Singapore, and we don't have such things as sex before marraige in my school.

well,actually,i've heard of one case but it hasn't been widely known or confirmed.

Sex before marraige is heavily frowned upon in countries in my region

all the classes in my level are quite close, as we have only about 70 students in my level (more for the other levels though)

The guys and girls hang out mostly by doing CAS together or sometimes when doing projects and stuff but we will often go out together to play video games at a LAN gaming centre or watch a movie, go to each other's house...stuff like that

The IB programme keeps us very busy during the other times and it's a tedious job, but still, it's only 2 years!

But i get caught up alot by procrastinations and facebooking and the usualy gaming here and there

so other than hanging out,we'll play cards or chat,joking happens alot

sometimes my class will even get high after doing math in school(which is weird) haha

and then all sorts of nonsensical lame jokes will sprout,but we have fun

so i guess different societies will have their own perspective towards morals

but still, there is a ultimate law which binds us to the knowledge of either good or bad

everyone is bad in nature,but still i always hope that i can be a better person for God to use

hope this helps in the discussion

further more,my country's neighbour,Malaysia, even has caning as a sentence for sex before marraige or extra-marital affairs!

there was even one case last year of a woman getting a few strokes of the cane and landed up in jail for drinking beer

• 1 month later...

Hmm well brains has nothing to do with emotions, dont judge any of them unless you know what goes on behind doors in there lives and heads. I personally am dating a guy who is on average intelligence with memory loss issues(car accident)and i happen to know one of my rich Ib guy friends would give anything to date me. The truth is life hits people differently, some people take to bad decisions to cope, or some people just see things differently from you. I personally cant date a smart smart guy because id feel like id have to impress him constantly and cant relax.Its just up to who you are.

Personally, I haven't done any of that stuff. But I do not mind other people who do indulge in things like that, because it is their choice to do so. I know perfectly lovely people who manage to do very well in school who actually have sexual relationships, or have had alcohol. However, they choose to be responsible about it and understand the fact that by making that choice they are also taking the responsibility to make sure that no harm comes to them or to those around them because of their actions. The only time I ever tend to lose respect for a person is if they have no regard for the feelings and safety for the people around them and choose to be selfish.

All things considered though...I'm pretty conservative personally. But I don't think that I can really force the people around me to be that way, or even only surround myself with people who are like that, because how else are you going to grow as a person? It's important not to judge anyone at face value. I've fallen in that pit a lot, and it doesn't always end well.

• Like 1

I have managed to stay away from all the aforementionned "indecencies", although in all faireness it`s not because I'm well behaved or conservative. It`s just due to a general lack of interest combined with a healthy dose of obliviousness(real word?). Actually I know very few people who do those things, I do know a few but we simply live and let live. I`ve actually seen someone roll a joint on my friend's science binder(and to me the most questionnable aspect of that was why he let another person even touch his binder :P ). I think another reason for my obliviousness(?) is that until recently I was extremely introverted and as a result I am still working out the whole interaction thing.

Also, this whole argument is rather subjective no? As many paople have pointed out acceptance may vary from region to region. It's only thanks to the medias that some of us have similar notions and preconceptions about these actions. I've noticed that most people have cited religious reasons for abstinence. And most of us have probably heard and to an extent agreed with the various anti-drug campaigns. So who thinks that we will ever get to the end of this debate/discussion?

By your definition I'm decent. :P

But that's probably more because I'e never had time to be indecent. :rofl:

I have had no time for parties, relationships or loads of things like that, so I've ultimately lost interest in all of them.

Not sure if that's a good thing. People tell me I'm missing out but I enjoy not being stressed by stuff like that considering IB stress.

Well, here in Latvia there is the balance. You know, to have balance there MUST be both - hard party-goers and the people that don't do any of those kind of things. I'm pretty sure our IB'ers are more of party-goers than the bookworms. But still, they do visit parties and they do get normal marks. Is it just me or does this really seem like balance?

In my opinion, it's just the way how people deal with the stress. Some people need to get drunk, smoke pot and do other crazy things to relax, other people, I as well, can relax doing some not so degrading stuff (sorry those who believe it's not degrading...). I don't think either of those two ways are extremely bad, I simply prefer relaxing in other ways. Overall, guys, I really believe it all comes to how people like to spend their time and relax...

I think it´s a generational issue rather than an IB exclusive thing, but as far as I have observed (my school it´s not IB exclusive) people from the IB tend to be a little more mature than the others, of course there are exceptions but, I believe that, because in IB we are taught to think in an "out of the box" way, we don´t usually follow the latest trends (drinking, smoking, etc)

I don't really know why, but talking with quite stupid girls don't appeal to me. The only thing on their head are parties and what they'll be doing the weekend. A brain can almost drop a hot body for me (well, at least if I'm looking for something more than dancing with a random girl :rolleyes: )

BTW, I feel so at home in this place filled with IB guys and girls... really. I agree with you in many points Strummer, but isolation is not always necessary. For example, most of my friends are pretty descent IMO and we have a good time that don't always involve wild parties.

Edited by combus

I don't know how IB is internationally, that is how IBers behave overseas or in other places. I go to an IB school in Miami, Florida, and I'm sure much like everywhere else in the world there are crazy party go-ers and dumb girls who fall for the indecent guys. It's like you respect someone for their intelligence, getting high marks w.e, but then you find out what he/she does whether it is smoke or drink on the weekends. Is it just me or is there any decent people left on this earth. Morality and ethics walk straight out the door, and a vacuum is made for cheating, frivilous partying, gratuitous sex, recreational drug and alchohol use.

Not to be a prick because I am probably a hypocrit because I may be part of some of these things. But it just seems it became so hard to find decent people, a girl who will save herself for someone who is worth it, and a guy who will understand the meaning of sex as not something completely recreational. I shouldn't be one to talk because ive fallen victim to alot of the things im condemning, but I guess i just hope the general population that will be the leaders of tomorrow will be smarter than me. Any way post your thought or frustrations, send me to hell if you feel the need to tell me that it is a persons right to do what they please, or buttress my opinion.

I personally think that decency in todays kids have left but somehow we can find a medium where we can party and then reach 7's on IB exams.

Honestly, it's not a matter of IB or non-IB. I go to an international school in China where there are around 30 kids in my grade who are full diploma and the other 150 are a mix of AP, IB certificate, and neither AP/IB kids and I can safely say that partying and smoking and drinking and premarital sex is not an IB thing; it's more of a teenager thing. I have friends who are full IB who still party almost every other weekend and can still maintain their grades, whether their grades are up in the A's or closer to the B's and C's. On the other hand, I know a bunch of IB kids who also seem to have no social life outside of school. At the same time, there are also AP kids who do the same thing: party till they drop or puke on someone and go about school with grades that are to die for. And if you go to a party, it's going to be pretty impossible to peg people as IBers or non-IBers just based on the fact that they are out. My point is, I think you are kind of looking at the partying as this immoral and unethical thing that ONLY IB people engage in but outside of IB, there are just as many people who participate in underage drinking, one night stands, illegal drugs. Also, I don't see why what people do in their free time is any business of yours as long as they don't try to pressure you to participate.

And as for hoping that the "leaders of tomorrow" will be smarter than you, I can bet that there have been amazing leaders that have practiced the things you're condemning.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

This really surprises me, because most of the people in IB at my school are the super clean kids. In an area where our school is reputed to have a pretty rowdy student body, the IB Programme students are generally seen as the "good kids" who study really hard. I don't think there are many, if any, people I know in IB in my grade who parties, smokes, or drinks at all.

I'm sure the way you feel about this generation is similar to the way past generations felt about themselves. There will always be "less good" people doing things you consider "less good" and you can view them however you like, but the world will keep spinning and that one girl in your English class who can't keep long, phallus shaped objects out of her mouth (speaking from experience) isn't going to mess up the whole world for everybody else.