IB Girls and Guys

bolan14

Well, in my school the IBers are sort of split in 2 groups.

Since my school is the only school that offers the IB program or any sort of education in english, the IB students are split in 2.

There are the ones that seek the IB because they have book smarts, the ones who have lived abroad and are more familiar with learning in enlish, the ones that, intelligent people that are dedicated to their education and truly wish to succeed and dream of universities abroad.

Then there is the second group, this group contains those who have recently moved to Iceland or may have stayed a long time and haven't had the time to or haven't bothered to learn icelandic. Since they don't know icelandic the only education is the IB program. These students tend to be the ones that skip classes, are nott interested in education, are forced into the IB by parents etc. These people wont do well in the IB.

So it's really split.

However, I have not noticed that there is a specific difference between those groups when it comes partying or relationships.

Both groups contain girls who are dating assholes, both groups contain students who drink, smoke and use recreational drugs and both groups contain students that do badly onn exams and fail.

I personally joined the IB program since I am more comfortable with expressing myself in english, I found the icelandic education system to be boring and lacking, while the IB program was fast paced and demanding enough. I am 18 years old now in IB2. I am passing all my subjects with excellent grades, I am vice-president of the MUN club, I am well favoured by my teachers etc. Still, I live in my own appartment with my boyfriend. We pay rent and electricity and pay food. As well as studting, I cook and clean around the house. It does not affect my grades but I am the only one not living with parents in my class.

Also, I use recreational "drugs". I smoke weed at least 5 times a week, and it doesn't affect my schoolwork at all, and still even though I smoke weed eevery day I still did better than most of my class-mates who do not use "drugs". Then again, marijuana isn't a drug.

• 2 weeks later...

I think maybe these things are seen in a different light in England, its kind of accpeted and even expected that you will do most if not all of these things, apart from drugs.

But I think we have lower age restrictions than some countries, like drinking and smoking are allowed at 18 and sex at 16. I smoke, drink (but not every weekend), I also go to a lot of parties and we all drink and possibly end up looking like idiots, I am a virgin but not because I'm saving myself for marriage I just haven't found the right guy yet I feel that is slightly different.

But in this country people just accept it as 'Oh there just doing what teenagers (or young adults) do' so I think there are different mentalities in different parts of the world. I would say that doing these things makes you not a decent person, it's not what a person does at the weekend it is how they treat you and other people that makes them a decent person or not, I don't think that two are inter-changeable.

• 2 months later...
Guest saturday

Every class has the party goers, the ones who drink and take drugs. I can admit it, I drink and smoke and don't feel particularly guilty about either. I've got two friends that don't do either, don't party or engage in "risky" behaviour, you know, the good-girl types. We get along though, and they accept that I drink and smoke. They don't judge so I don't judge them and don't pressure them into doing it. And I also get where they're coming from, you don't have to drink in order to have fun. I know people who are committed to school and studying and they still know how to have fun. As for drugs... I don't want to judge, everybody can do what they like, in my opinion, with their own bodies.

Edited by saturday

let me give you a very simple answer:

guys are all pigs and from age 16-24, all they have in your tiny little brain is sex.

i know that is very general but also very true for most guys. but from my experience, IB guys tend to not follow this pattern. they're usually...too nerdy to be a ****head.

haha. guys. you just don't understand. a lot of girls are ok with waiting. so are a lot of guys, i know. but this response up here that i'm quoting is for all the girls who've had their hearts broken because of a guy like that. all it takes is one guy... girls really are pretty dang emotional, and if you ask any girl if this is true, they'll laugh and say you know it. (unless they hang with those seemingly rare ones who aren't... then theyll say. yah. except the ones i know. ) :D

let us be girls and let us be a teensy bit petty. :)

and for the record: i do IB and maybe its me being clueless, but the majority of the people in my ib class aren't the crazy druggies, party-goers, sex-addicts. of course i know people who are, but the people i know are wayy too busy to. first theres IB, then theres sports, then theres extra-curricular clubs, then theres a job, then theres just plain hanging out. if we do any of that, its rarely....

Most of the girls i like/liked are not in IB. Not sure if it has something to do with me being a minority race/culture in the IB program at my school.

The only real couple in my IB class have been in a relationship for like a year and a half. If one of the girls asks a guy out or other way around or gives a valentine or something at first it looks promising, but after a while the relationship just stops (like a week to a month). This isn't really what happens with non-IB students at my school, because there is AP and IB and Honors and Gifted at my school, and the IB/Gifted are lumped into a single group.

I just think that the real relationships don't really from as well between IB, at least in my school.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i dnt knw about any other IBers around the world

i go to an all girls school and probably most of the IB students drink in our year level

it's a social thing everyone accepts it, i guess its our country (NZ) we're really accustomed to drinking culture and underage drinking and stuff like that.

I was really trashy and stuffed up before i started IB and when i JUST started IB. I was on the verge of becoming alcoholic (i still have this extreme tolerance), i smoked to relieve stress, went underage clubbing and stay the night out, spend all my future savings, was sexually active, did couple of drugs to pass the time and i guess i was a hardcore partier. Not a very good look. But then I guess I became more busier with the workload, I don't smoke anymore, I saved more money since, I am currently inactive (sexually) and i havent done drugs in a looong while. I do go clubbing and party once in a while though, i dnt separate myself from the d-floor. I cant say im sober yet either.

But its IB, Im aware that i wil start getting more workload and receive tougher tasks and I'm preparing myself for that. Simply, it just came naturally. I'm still nonjudgemental on druggies and all, I dont mind it, I guess its their personal choice. I dont want to put like a label to people who do these kinds of things, coz firstly i'd be a hypocrite, and secondly i really dont believe that they can be 'grouped'. Everyone's different and they are free to do whatever they like in their own time, if they waste too much time and not do very well in IB I guess its the road they took and they probably deserved it.

• Like 1

Also, I use recreational "drugs". I smoke weed at least 5 times a week, and it doesn't affect my schoolwork at all, and still even though I smoke weed eevery day I still did better than most of my class-mates who do not use "drugs". Then again, marijuana isn't a drug.

I thought drugs were defined as addictive, harmful, and enjoyable (in some sense) and shouldn't that include marijuana?

I have the opposite problem. No one in my IB classes will go out and have fun. Drinking and doing drugs is just sad if you're by yourself. All anyone in my classes do is study, procrastinate, and watch Glee.

I know I'll sound like a really boring, dull person now, but isn't it possible to have fun without drugs/alcohol?

• Like 4

I thought drugs were defined as addictive, harmful, and enjoyable (in some sense) and shouldn't that include marijuana?

I have the opposite problem. No one in my IB classes will go out and have fun. Drinking and doing drugs is just sad if you're by yourself. All anyone in my classes do is study, procrastinate, and watch Glee.

I know I'll sound like a really boring, dull person now, but isn't it possible to have fun without drugs/alcohol?

:P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

<_<

Good, I'm not alone then :D

• Like 1

The definition we used in Psychology was "any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function." In that sense, Marijuana would be a drug. By your definition... it's difficult to say. It's certainly harmful (smoking anything is harmful, really) and enjoyable (if you're into that kind of thing. I can't say that I am), but it's a hard call to make on whether or not it's addictive.

I agree with you there.... most everyone I know (except my really good friends) likes to party. They hang out like all the time, but me and my friends barely get time to see each other outside of all the crap we do for school. It's complicated. I wont lie, I like a good party where you hang out with your friends, but drinking and smoking and sex aren't appealing to me. And like some of you who replied, my boyfriend and I are also waiting.

The definition we used in Psychology was "any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function." In that sense, Marijuana would be a drug. By your definition... it's difficult to say. It's certainly harmful (smoking anything is harmful, really) and enjoyable (if you're into that kind of thing. I can't say that I am), but it's a hard call to make on whether or not it's addictive.

Alright, that was the definiton from Chemistry as well. I forgot that "drug" does not mean the same in English as in Swedish, so you are completely correct. I meant "drug" as in a harmful substance, such as heroin/cocain etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Having no expierence with drugs and alchohol i don't really have a say but wouldn't taking marijuana and drugs like that, even if it is legal in your country, screw up your brain especially as you get older? longevity isn't exactly advertised on drug covers.

oh, and

:P

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

• 2 weeks later...

let me give you a very simple answer:

guys are all pigs and from age 16-24, all they have in your tiny little brain is sex.

i know that is very general but also very true for most guys. but from my experience, IB guys tend to not follow this pattern. they're usually...too nerdy to be a ****head.

Uhhh dude im a guy...AND I've taken IB.

I go to a school in INDIA and I KNOW for a fact that those batchmates of mine who've taken Ib are the probably the best people in my batch and aren't the kind of people you've talked about.

And sex before marriage?

Id say live and let live. If you wanna do it go ahead just don't let it cut into your work life...after all this IS INDEED IB.

Well I think that this thread does show that there are plenty of "decent" people out there, and I'm glad to see that there are people who think like me. I don't drink and I certainly don't smoke, and try to live my life in a moral way and do the right thing. For some reason many of my friends couldn't understand why I said I never wanted to break the law and drink underage and get fake IDs etc (which I think is a bit pathetic to be honest, no personal offence intended to anyone who has one...) This turned out to be a pretty big decision, as I am pretty much the only person in my year and group of friends who doesn't drink and party etc. and from last year onwards because of this I've been feeling pretty isolated and lonely (pathetic I know, but sadly true). I guess people can do whatever they want at the end of the day, but I just wish the people I know did something outside of school and on the weekends other than drink and smoke and go in over-18 clubs etc (apart from anything the music is terrible :) )I did give it a go and go out with them a few times without drinking and everything, but it really wasn't my thing and everyone acted differently to the people they are at school and I just didn't like it.It may be I have a tendency to over-analyse everything and maybe I'm being stupid, but the whole thing has been a big issue and debate for me for a while now and I'm just glad to see that there are some people who might be on my side!

Yey, nonconformers unite!

I dont drink, smoke, have sex or anything (because of lack of time) but I agree with some people: let people do whatever they want to do, they'll be the ones loosing, I also think that everyone has their own freedoms and that they should not do everything people are doing these days. Even though sometimes I wish I was like the typical 16 year old i like my life. And if people want to screw their lives what the heck just let them. And you are right most guys are pigs who only want the girl for the sex and thats it.

It's difficult to sit here now and realize that this whole college thing is about to happen. With that said, the way people are and what they will become is completely out of my hands. I would have to say that I have more guy friends than girls only because the girls tend to bring the drama, but the issues you brought up about either boys or girls being rude or obnoxious and making wrong decisions is something that we all have to just deal with. I have friends of mine that did not get their diploma because they made stupid choices, and as much as I'd like to change that, I can't. I think for some odd reason, some IB students tend to be more excessive in the "I want to have a life" deal and that's why their actions tend to shock us. As far as I was concerned, I had IB and "regular" (yea, we called all non-IB kids regular, lol) friends who behaved the same way and the only difference was that the former was looking forward to major exams in their senior year. People are people and we can't sit here and expect an academic mindset to change their morality -- doesn't work that way.

So glad IB is over for me though =) Pretty intense 4 years of my life, but definitely going to pay off when I get to that University status! =)