[SL]Mathematics Help

appleme

Okay, I don't have the brain power in the night to try solving it, so here are the steps from Mathway

First derivative: http://www.mathway.com/answer.aspx?p=ccal?...p=?p=?p=0?p=?p=

Second derivative: http://www.mathway.com/answer.aspx?p=ccal?...p=?p=?p=0?p=?p=

Solve: http://www.mathway.com/answer.aspx?p=ccal?...p=?p=?p=0?p=?p=

That *should* be the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

first of all make your life easier and use rule of logs to change (x^2)(ln(1/x^2)) to (x^2)(-2)(ln(x)). I know, you have no idea how that happened:

Ln (1/x^2) = ln (x^-2) and by rule of logs, ln (x^a) where a is any constant = a*ln(x)

hence first deriavte = -2x^2/x - 4x(ln(x)) = -2(x + 2x(ln(x)))

second derivative = -2[1 + 2 + 2ln(x)]

simplify a little and set it equal to zero and you get -2(3 + 2ln(x)) = 0, divide both sides by -2 subtract 3 divide by 2 and you get ln(x) = -3/2, do e to both sides and you get x = e^-3/2 or 1/(e times sqrt e)

test it into your second derivative using a number line or any other way you want to see if the second derivate does in fact change signs at x = e^-3/2. If it does then its a POI if not then its...not. It does so it is a POI.

by the way, I like these types of questions so anyone who reads this don't hesitate on asking anything like this cause I'll answer it as soon as I see it.

Edited by ezex

• 1 month later...

There's nothing special or even tricky about getting a 6 or a 7 in SL Math. The questions are very straightforward, and I've yet to see a trick question on an IB exam. If you're good at math, a 6/7 will be automatic, and even if you're not, some studying will guarantee the mark you are looking for.

In my IB program, math is only offered as a Standard Level course. I took Math Studies in my Junior year of high school and tested out, so I can't take the same course in my Senior year. This year, I am taking Calculus, and I am having serious trouble understanding, and especially remembering, the steps to solve problems. Is there any way to easier understand Mathematics SL and is there applications for calculus?

By applications, if you mean word problems, yes there is.

For differential calculus there's optimization and maxima/minima problems.

For integrals there's physics type problems and things like finding area under the curve etc.

As for learning calculus, know your rules!

And like Aboo said, practice!

Do every problem in your book if that's what it takes.

That's generally what I try to do before calculus exams (like the one I have tomorrow :( )

1. Derive y = sin (root x)

I think it is (1/2) x ^(-1/2) cos (root x)

2. Integrate cos^(2) x

I have no idea

3. Find the volume when the region bounded by y = sin x, y = cos x, the x axis and x = pi/2 is rotated 360 degrees around the x - axis.

I know I need to integrate y^2, however do i complete these integrals individually between 0 to pi/2 and pi/2 to pi/4 or something else. And of course in order to do this i need to be able to do #2.