Resources and Advice on Math IA and EE

Kaito

I graduated IB in 2018 and studied Math HL with discrete math as my option. I also wrote my EE in mathematics / physics and received an A. I'm currently studying programming / computer science and game design. I replied to a post a few years ago about writing Math IAs where I gave some advice and talked about my paper and a lot of people requested copies of my IA for reference. I've heard that with the covid situation and online learning a lot of people are facing some challenges with their research and are doing explorations based on previous students' work etc.

With that in mind I thought I would make a post offering to share some of my resources and advice based on personal experience.

Writing your EE in math is usually discouraged and can be challenging but I personally thought it was very fun since I find math very interesting. I think that if you really like math you shouldn't be afraid to write your EE in math. You should however be careful and make sure you know what you're doing and not be afraid to ask for help.

I wrote my Math IA on celestial navigation using angles with the research question "How can celestial navigation be mathematically modeled to find one’s location on Earth when time and the position of celestial bodies are known?". I'm not sure what my final grade was but the mathematics seems fine and was mainly focused around trigonometry, and vectors with some simultaneous equations.

My EE is about mathematically modeling multiple combined electric fields in a space: "How can the electromagnetic flux density at a point in space with multiple superposing electric fields from point charges 
be modeled mathematically?". The mathematics I used was mainly vectors and summation, calculus (simplified), geometry, and basic electromagnetic equations in 2D. Solving math problems can be easy but writing an essay where you discuss the results and draw conclusions tends to be somewhat difficult.

If anyone is interested in these topics or has any questions about the Math IA or EE I'll be glad to help. If anyone is having trouble choosing a topic I would also be glad to give advice regarding that as well. Due to the file sizes I unfortunately can't post my papers here but if you DM me with a request I will e-mail you a copy of my paper(s).

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, Kaito said:

I graduated IB in 2018 and studied Math HL with discrete math as my option. I also wrote my EE in mathematics / physics and received an A. I'm currently studying programming / computer science and game design. I replied to a post a few years ago about writing Math IAs where I gave some advice and talked about my paper and a lot of people requested copies of my IA for reference. I've heard that with the covid situation and online learning a lot of people are facing some challenges with their research and are doing explorations based on previous students' work etc.

With that in mind I thought I would make a post offering to share some of my resources and advice based on personal experience.

Writing your EE in math is usually discouraged and can be challenging but I personally thought it was very fun since I find math very interesting. I think that if you really like math you shouldn't be afraid to write your EE in math. You should however be careful and make sure you know what you're doing and not be afraid to ask for help.

I wrote my Math IA on celestial navigation using angles with the research question "How can celestial navigation be mathematically modeled to find one’s location on Earth when time and the position of celestial bodies are known?". I'm not sure what my final grade was but the mathematics seems fine and was mainly focused around trigonometry, and vectors with some simultaneous equations.

My EE is about mathematically modeling multiple combined electric fields in a space: "How can the electromagnetic flux density at a point in space with multiple superposing electric fields from point charges 
be modeled mathematically?". The mathematics I used was mainly vectors and summation, calculus (simplified), geometry, and basic electromagnetic equations in 2D. Solving math problems can be easy but writing an essay where you discuss the results and draw conclusions tends to be somewhat difficult.

If anyone is interested in these topics or has any questions about the Math IA or EE I'll be glad to help. If anyone is having trouble choosing a topic I would also be glad to give advice regarding that as well. Due to the file sizes I unfortunately can't post my papers here but if you DM me with a request I will e-mail you a copy of my paper(s).

Interesting that you chose discrete maths as your option... but your EE seems to be quite heavily focused on multivariable calculus since it's E&M. I have no idea what to do for my IA lol, but hopefully I'll be able to find some inspiration.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:07 PM, MathEEmoment said:

Interesting that you chose discrete maths as your option... but your EE seems to be quite heavily focused on multivariable calculus since it's E&M. I have no idea what to do for my IA lol, but hopefully I'll be able to find some inspiration.

Yeah, I would have personally chosen calculus given the choice but my school only offered discrete math. It was interesting, and it did help me understand math in a new light. However, I would not recommend taking it because it's pretty difficult since most prior knowledge of mathematics gets thrown out the window.

For your IA, I'd say just start by thinking about things that interest you and that might be related to math in some way. Alternatively, if you actually have a genuine question you're curious about you could research that topic.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, Mar1ana said:

Hi! I am doing a Maths EE this year and need your help with the dosage of research required in an EE as it is different from the other EE's I believe. I also can't really understand the difference in exploration required between an IA and EE. I am planning on doing probability models research, specifically the Markov chain, and seeing  how it can be used to 'solve' the optimal stopping theory, using a stop or roll dice game as a specific example. The question as of right now is: How can the Markov Chain Monte Carlo method be used to find the optimal stopping point, and can it be applied to the stop or roll dice game Pickomino? Could you tell me if that sounds alright and could you please send me your EE as we both seem to be exploring models.

All the Best!

So basically, you don't really need to do much experimental research for an EE in mathematics unless you have a specific topic that can be tested in real life with experiments such as modeling the curvature of chains. You will probably only need theoretical research and to make sure to cite the sources you use.

Also the word requirement is kind of different, my word count was only 3366 for example and I got an A. I had a lot of diagrams and equations however, those are the important parts.

Personally I'm not that good with probability / statistics but it seems like a good topic. Your research question is very specific, which is good, and it sounds alright to me. For probability it might help to do an experiment if it's possible, but it's not really necessary if you can provide a good theoretical explanation / model.

I can't post my EE here but if you send me a message with your e-mail I can e-mail you a copy.

Edited by Kaito

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 2:50 PM, Mar1ana said:

Wow, thanks for the speedy answer! Yeah, I was scared it may have been too specific, but I think it leaves a few doors open. I think I'll see once I get to actually doing the EE, whether the experiment is necessary, maybe I'll have plenty to write about. I was wondering where the maths came in though if you don't have an experiment. Are you explaining and showing the researched models from a different perspective/ differently or what? 

Thank you

Sure I can send it and explain.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 2:27 AM, Kaito said:

Hi! Sorry to bother, but I have many questions as regards Math EE. I'm currently doing Math AA HL, and was planning to do my extended essay about Maths, and I can't fully undestand it. I'm extremely passionate about mathematics, and wanted to do my extended essay on Number Theory in criptography, perhaps specifically the RSA Public Key Criptosystem. However, I still don't get if maths is considered a science, and if I have to do an experiment (get some raw data somehow and analyze it). If this is not the case, I don't understand how the EE would not be purely descriptive, like I'm learning a bunch of new things, but don't understand how to place it in an EE. I also want to know if it's better to do an experiment of some sort to get a higher mark (however, I'm not looking for a high one, I'm just interested in learning new things about maths).

In my school there is no supervisor that has experience with/corrected a Math EE, so I'm scared of getting an incorrect tutoring as to what the IB wants. I have reade the Math EE section in the guide many times, but still don't get what I'm expected to do. Also, could yo send me your EE and IA to my mail? 

[email protected]

I think my IA will be about fractals, and I have an idea of my RQ and the "experiment" overall, but the EE is just getting on my nerves ;)

Thanks beforehand! 

18 hours ago, Santi123 said:

Hi! Sorry to bother, but I have many questions as regards Math EE. I'm currently doing Math AA HL, and was planning to do my extended essay about Maths, and I can't fully undestand it. I'm extremely passionate about mathematics, and wanted to do my extended essay on Number Theory in criptography, perhaps specifically the RSA Public Key Criptosystem. However, I still don't get if maths is considered a science, and if I have to do an experiment (get some raw data somehow and analyze it). If this is not the case, I don't understand how the EE would not be purely descriptive, like I'm learning a bunch of new things, but don't understand how to place it in an EE. I also want to know if it's better to do an experiment of some sort to get a higher mark (however, I'm not looking for a high one, I'm just interested in learning new things about maths).

In my school there is no supervisor that has experience with/corrected a Math EE, so I'm scared of getting an incorrect tutoring as to what the IB wants. I have reade the Math EE section in the guide many times, but still don't get what I'm expected to do. Also, could yo send me your EE and IA to my mail? 

[email protected]

I think my IA will be about fractals, and I have an idea of my RQ and the "experiment" overall, but the EE is just getting on my nerves ;)

Thanks beforehand! 

A Maths EE would not be experimental. You would not have to do an experiment for a maths EE. Unless, for example, your EE was on a physics-based topic for example. From my understanding, a good EE would be about solving a problem, or answering a mathematical question that can be answered within the scope of 4000 words.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2021 at 4:27 AM, Kaito said:

Hello! If you're still replying, I would love to take a look at your IA! Please email me @[email protected]

On 11/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, Kaito said:

Hi there, I'm currently trying to find ideas for my math IA (I'm an AA SL student). I was thinking of Predicting the year Indonesia will sink due to the rise of sea level. But I tried collecting the data and model it, unfortunately.. It's not looking good.. The line isn't exponential neither is it applicable to any functions.. So I'm kind of lost.. Can you help me?

Please email me back at [email protected] 

On 7/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Tiffenie said:

Hi there, I'm currently trying to find ideas for my math IA (I'm an AA SL student). I was thinking of Predicting the year Indonesia will sink due to the rise of sea level. But I tried collecting the data and model it, unfortunately.. It's not looking good.. The line isn't exponential neither is it applicable to any functions.. So I'm kind of lost.. Can you help me?

Please email me back at [email protected] 

Hey, what’s up 🙌

First, gotta give you a high-five for tackling a real-world problem with your math IA! Saving Indonesia from going underwater is seriously superhero stuff.

It's a bummer that the data isn't fitting neatly into the ol’ exponential or other functions. But no worries, mate, let's try to steer this ship back on course. 

Different Model

Sometimes data is just a rebellious teenager and doesn’t wanna fit in with the cool functions. Try looking at other models besides exponential. Maybe piecewise functions or logistical models might be a snug fit.

Error Analysis

Embrace the chaos! Use the scattered data to your advantage. Maybe dive into why the data doesn't fit neatly and analyze possible sources of error or inconsistency in the data. That's math in the real world - unpredictable, just like my WiFi signal.

Change Focus

If you’re super stuck, tweak the focus. How about investigating the economic impact of rising sea levels on coastal communities in Indonesia? Or examine how various environmental factors might contribute to sea-level changes and impact Indonesia.

Get Expert Input

Shoot an email to a geography or environmental science professor. They might have insights or data that could help you, and it shows mad initiative on your part.

Speak to your Teacher

Get some wisdom from your math sensei. They might give you new ideas or help you figure out how to work with the wonky data.

Remember, your IA doesn’t need to solve the problem (although, Nobel Prize if it does). It's about showing that you can apply mathematical concepts and think critically.

Good luck, and may the math be with you 📐

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, AnnaHoffman said:

Hey, what’s up 🙌

First, gotta give you a high-five for tackling a real-world problem with your math IA! Saving Indonesia from going underwater is seriously superhero stuff.

It's a bummer that the data isn't fitting neatly into the ol’ exponential or other functions. But no worries, mate, let's try to steer this ship back on course. 

Different Model

Sometimes data is just a rebellious teenager and doesn’t wanna fit in with the cool functions. Try looking at other models besides exponential. Maybe piecewise functions or logistical models might be a snug fit.

Error Analysis

Embrace the chaos! Use the scattered data to your advantage. Maybe dive into why the data doesn't fit neatly and analyze possible sources of error or inconsistency in the data. That's math in the real world - unpredictable, just like my WiFi signal.

Change Focus

If you’re super stuck, tweak the focus. How about investigating the economic impact of rising sea levels on coastal communities in Indonesia? Or examine how various environmental factors might contribute to sea-level changes and impact Indonesia.

Get Expert Input

Shoot an email to a geography or environmental science professor. They might have insights or data that could help you, and it shows mad initiative on your part.

Speak to your Teacher

Get some wisdom from your math sensei. They might give you new ideas or help you figure out how to work with the wonky data.

Remember, your IA doesn’t need to solve the problem (although, Nobel Prize if it does). It's about showing that you can apply mathematical concepts and think critically.

Good luck, and may the math be with you 📐

Hi, if you could help me with my maths aa hl ia, have submission in a few day, not sure of a topic though 
email - [email protected]
thank you 

On 11/27/2021 at 6:57 AM, Kaito said:

Hi, if you could help me with my maths aa hl ia, also please share your ia on my email please 
email - [email protected]
thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 8:27 PM, Kaito said:

Hi! I’m currently making an idea for my math ia (I’m in hl math btw) but honestly I don’t know what I’m doing, so it would be great if you can send me your ia. Also, I really want to talk about anime for my ia but I don’t know how I would approach that, so it would be great if you could give advice on that! Thanks!