Please help me

Anexistence

Hey there! I just want to talk about something that makes me mentally ill. I'm a new student of IB and already i'm too tired and even do not feel normal. In the class everyone is better than me - i see that easily - in the English lessons i'm afraid to talk because every second i think everyone will make fun of me. What should i do? I'm almost to give up.

Hey dude. If people are making fun of you because your English isn't great, they're assholes. Also, considering you typed this out, I think your English is at least at a relatively decent level, so you're fine. As with anything, there is always room for improvement, but you're doing fine. 

If you think everyone in your class is better, then you're wrong. Better at what? At studying? That counts for jack **** in the real world. Look at where you want to be in 10 years, and ask yourself if you're going in the right direction. Just because you spend 10 hours a day studying for maths tests doesn't mean you're going to be a millionaire when you're 25. 

Do not give up. If you're tired, talk to your parents; unwind and relax; take some time to take care of yourself. Little things like going to the gym can help. Often, IB schools give way more workload than what is required for the IB during grade 10 and DP1. Focus on getting yourself happy first, and then everything else will fall in place. Go to the gym, play sport, play a musical instrument, etc.

One of the worst ways to go out is being demoralised. Don't be that. Think like a winner to be a winner. You need to have tunnel vision. Don't focus on how others are doing; focus on yourself and how you want to achieve your goals; create strategies to achieve your long-term goals.

• Like 3

The first time my Maths teacher started talking, I didn't understand a thing, and I thought 'well, I just need some time'. One year and some weeks later, I still don't understand nothing. All of my classmates are discussing the answers and I'm trying to know what are they talking about. Some of them look at me with a complex of supperiority. And I know I'm not the smartest, but I work hard. Very hard. And at the end, my marks are better that theirs.

It may seem that your thoughts aren't as interesting, but you will be surprised when you find out that some people are fascinated about them.

The first weeks of IB are hard. Everything is new and you learnt a lot of things in a short time. But from my experience (as a second year student), IB is wonderfull. Yes, sometimes you won't have time for nothing, but the final results reflect how hard you work, so keep trying and good luck!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, _emmma_ said:

The first time my Maths teacher started talking, I didn't understand a thing, and I thought 'well, I just need some time'. One year and some weeks later, I still don't understand nothing. All of my classmates are discussing the answers and I'm trying to know what are they talking about. Some of them look at me with a complex of supperiority. And I know I'm not the smartest, but I work hard. Very hard. And at the end, my marks are better that theirs.

It may seem that your thoughts aren't as interesting, but you will be surprised when you find out that some people are fascinated about them.

The first weeks of IB are hard. Everything is new and you learnt a lot of things in a short time. But from my experience (as a second year student), IB is wonderfull. Yes, sometimes you won't have time for nothing, but the final results reflect how hard you work, so keep trying and good luck!

Indeed. Maths is not for everyone, but more importantly, I think IB maths requires a little Pre-IB work to get into it. A lot of IB schools simply throw their students into the deep end and leave them to figure out everything fro themselves; this is just wrong and horrible. Glad to here that your marks are better than theirs; keep it up. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, Anexistence said:

Hey there! I just want to talk about something that makes me mentally ill. I'm a new student of IB and already i'm too tired and even do not feel normal. In the class everyone is better than me - i see that easily - in the English lessons i'm afraid to talk because every second i think everyone will make fun of me. What should i do? I'm almost to give up.

i think it's great that you're multilingual also English is a very easy language that could be learnt in no time so don't worry about that + i don't see any issues with your english btw and i'm pretty sure kids in class will not make fun of you

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, Anexistence said:

Omg I understand exactly how you feel, this was how I felt in pre IB English. I felt like everyone else's answers were sophisticated and I was wasting my time by being there. I still feel like everyone else is smarter. Tbh, the people in your class are no better than you. They probably just talk and act in a way that makes them seem "smarter" than you. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 11:40 AM, randomhydrogenatom said:

Omg I understand exactly how you feel, this was how I felt in pre IB English. I felt like everyone else's answers were sophisticated and I was wasting my time by being there. I still feel like everyone else is smarter. Tbh, the people in your class are no better than you. They probably just talk and act in a way that makes them seem "smarter" than you. 

It's just a farce, usually. If you actually look at people's "sophisticated" answers, they mostly consist of random word salad. Often they aren't good responses or anything. English is one of those subjects where you can really get away with bull****ting out of your a$$ while appearing as smart as Einstein. I'm pretty sure those same people know that they're all just full of hot air inside lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 9:40 PM, randomhydrogenatom said:

Oh yeah just to clarify I was talking about an English literature course, not English as a second language. (I forgot to specify the class in my original reply). And yeah I feel that everyone knows what kind of answer the teacher wants to hear and answers accordingly in English literature. 

• Like 1