Math HL

BIO-AQUA

• 1 month later...
What do you mean by group theory? We keep learning theory until a month or two before the exams and then we start revision.

Hey Everyone, name is Basil and I'm in IBII Math HL. I'm doing the statistics/probability option, and it's the first time my teacher does it (he used to teach the calculus one). I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how easy/hard it was int heir experience, what needs the most focus on, and what in particular to watch out for.

In regards to the previous post about taking group theory, if by group theory discrete maths was meant, yes it's a possible option.

I need closure on a Maths HL issue.... :lol: everyone at my school seems to be unsure??

1. Is there a non calculator paper being introduced for the May 2008 exam?

2. Is it true that you no longer choose from the options on paper 3 but instead have to notify the IBO a while in advance of exam with what option you will answer??

Yes.

Yes.

According to my sources on TSR. :D Which I trust are correct. :lol:

As far as the options are concerned, then it's fine for Math HL students, though Further Maths Students are going to hate this. But as far as the calculator thing, I am really irritated by this, especially that I always rely on it for double checking my work. :D

Still, its gonna be much more work *that your calculator can do* but the exercises are done in such a way that you won't need it, obv. There are a list of exercises that were given to the teachers for us to practice or you can order an IB revision book from OSC that has a special edition for noncalculator exams

gah, *Worries about non calc.*,

ah well shouldnt be too bad, everyone else doesnt have a calculator either!

Still, its gonna be much more work *that your calculator can do* but the exercises are done in such a way that you won't need it, obv. There are a list of exercises that were given to the teachers for us to practice or you can order an IB revision book from OSC that has a special edition for noncalculator exams

So the non calc being intoduced for May 08 will just be based on the core and the option and would be exactly the same as if it were the calc. paper, but they choose questions which you can answer without a calc.?

In that case you just learn the same stuff as previously but you get a paper without a calc.? There are no extra topics or methods to learn? Well, obviously you will need to know methods that can be used without a calc.

In that case its annoying in some ways there is a non calc., I always rely on my calc for drawing graphs. :huh:

So the non calc being intoduced for May 08 will just be based on the core and the option and would be exactly the same as if it were the calc. paper, but they choose questions which you can answer without a calc.?

In that case you just learn the same stuff as previously but you get a paper without a calc.? There are no extra topics or methods to learn? Well, obviously you will need to know methods that can be used without a calc.

Well, according to the specimen IB paper for M08, the questions aren't terribly hard, they're made for use without a GDC. Just simple maths, only a bit complex just like you would expect it to be.

Nope, no extra topics or methods to learn, but you need to know how to do most things without a GDC. Like matrix multiplications, inverses, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, what is your (as in anyone) math teacher's teaching style? Mine seems to follow the british style; not very many lectures, but she will give us homework and expect us to learn the stuff by ourselves. She also seems to delight in putting new (as in, we never reviewed it) material on the tests. Is this standard across the IB?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest parthtrivedi
hey just strtd da course ....any precursor...how hard is the subject...how much more hard work and is it a gud idea 2 do HL math just coz u have no othr choice... ^_^

hey dude...u r in for loads of hard work, hard work and more hard work. Math HL is TOUGH, but i think u can conquer it only if u practice daily and never miss ur math class. Never Ever !!! I am currently a 7 in Math HL, a borderline 7

So work hard, and regularly. Btw, which skool are u from in Sri Lanka?? coz my math teacher is from Lanka and he is perhaps one of the best math teachers ever !!! I think he is from some Intl. skool in Colombo

Take care, and best of luck

Our teacher is amazing, her pace is a bit fast because the school doesn't give enough time to the math HL course, but she covers everything amazingly and answers any questions well :D

um.. i have a question, hopefully, someone would have an answer ^^

anyways, my math teacher told me that the same student would receive a higher mark in SL math instead of HL math

i was wondering if this was true.

because HL math have 1 extra topic but a whole extra semester (for us).

while SL math is rushed.

thanks

Guest godlvian
hey dude...u r in for loads of hard work, hard work and more hard work. Math HL is TOUGH, but i think u can conquer it only if u practice daily and never miss ur math class. Never Ever !!! I am currently a 7 in Math HL, a borderline 7

So work hard, and regularly. Btw, which skool are u from in Sri Lanka?? coz my math teacher is from Lanka and he is perhaps one of the best math teachers ever !!! I think he is from some Intl. skool in Colombo

Take care, and best of luck

WOW your a borderline 7,is that possible..man ya i agree its a lot of hard work we have 4 textbooks and with each chapter that we learn we have so much work to do...I am at the British school in colombo.What school was your teacher from?

Guest parthtrivedi
WOW your a borderline 7,is that possible..man ya i agree its a lot of hard work we have 4 textbooks and with each chapter that we learn we have so much work to do...I am at the British school in colombo.What school was your teacher from?

i dun know the name of the school frm where my math teacher was...but his name is manuel lena...if u know him ????