The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

****, thanks for all that. Yeah, those are some of the names I've heard most frequently. Wouldn't it hurt my chances to apply to those more popular colleges, though? And what led you to choose Oriel, if you don't mind me asking?

Christmas break for Australian High School commences from early in the first week of December, even earlier for year 12 students, so it's pretty busy at the airports.

Hey, if you got a 39 conditional offer, you must've killed it :). Any tips?

Also, any Aussies/Victorians here know places that host TSAs? My school's careers counselor has no clue on anything international, she didn't even know what UCAS was until a friend of mine in the year above me told her about it :/

haha yes those colleges are really popular :) uh I'm not 100% sure whether your chance is smaller if you apply to a bigger college, but if they want you then surely you could get into those colleges ;) or if they're totally oversubscribed you might then be pooled.

it was much easier for me because I applied for a scholarship which limited my college choice down to four. unfortunately only two of those offered the course I wanted to apply for, so I had to choose either Oriel or Exeter. I didn't really like Exeter because we can stay on the main site only during our first and last year, the rest we have to stay at college hostels/flats away. and Oriel has the most friendly atmosphere (which I've experienced to be true as I've spoken to many lovely current students :)). they have an excellent choir too! :D so yeah I chose Oriel.

yeah 39 is the typical offer for IB students for Maths :) tips, just try to prepare well for your entrance tests and interviews. I know it must be stressful as your exams are in november, so if you need guidance with writing a PS you can post here, some ppl who applied to Oxbridge too will help you :) try to find past test papers and past interview questions and practise from there.

I think there should be a website for TSA and they should tell you where to take it, or your school can host the test if they don't mind. not sure since I didn't sit the TSA but I took my MAT at school, Ox e-mailed the question paper to my school.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there :)

First a general question about Oxbridge: if you fulfill the entrance requirements, does that give you a place (well, a shot at one anyways) or just an interview?

Second, I would love to study Geography at Cambridge, but my school doesn't offer geography (grr..>8D)

I'm going to take (starting IB next year):

Swedish lit SL

Spanish B HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

+ Biology and latin as swedish courses (=piece of cake)

Do I still have a chance of getting into Cambridge or am I totally screwed? I checked the entrance requirements, and it says that "It isn’t even essential to have studied geography at A Level (although in practice nearly all our students have done so). If you are particularly interested in contemporary human geography or historical geography, then economics, English literature, history, and sociology are helpful, as are courses in world development. If you are interested in physical and environmental geography, then biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics and physics are useful supporting subjects, as is environmental science."

Well, I have all subjects I need .. except geography. What can I do?

First a general question about Oxbridge: if you fulfill the entrance requirements, does that give you a place (well, a shot at one anyways) or just an interview?

Second, I would love to study Geography at Cambridge, but my school doesn't offer geography (grr..>8D)

Swedish lit SL

Spanish B HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

Do I still have a chance of getting into Cambridge or am I totally screwed? I checked the entrance requirements, and it says that "It isn’t even essential to have studied geography at A Level (although in practice nearly all our students have done so). If you are particularly interested in contemporary human geography or historical geography, then economics, English literature, history, and sociology are helpful, as are courses in world development. If you are interested in physical and environmental geography, then biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics and physics are useful supporting subjects, as is environmental science."

It's best to contact the admissions at Cambridge and ask, but from what you said it doesn't seem like not having geography should be an enormous problem. And it's not your fault that your school does not offer geography. But I think you could benefit from self-studying some geography - for example buying some books on geography.

Just meeting the entrance requirements is not going to get you into Cambridge (or any other top uni). I applied to Oxford this year for Spanish and Linguistics and am predicted 39 points (766 at HL) and was rejected because of my bad entrance test and interview. Most people that apply will meet the entrance requirements, so you need to stand out with an amazing personal statement, and you need to do really well on your interview. You say you are starting IB after the summer so you still have a lot of time, but I really recommend that you use this time wisely. Use this summer to start reading around your subject, so that you can show a genuine interest in both your PS and the interview. Maybe you can even get some work experience, or do CAS activities related to your subject (although this is not necessary, I think it will make you stand out). As you come to the end of the first half of your first year in IB, start thinking of things to put in your PS and if you can visit a couple of the Cambridge colleges on the open days so that you can pick a college you really like. Basically it is all about making yourself stand out from the crowd, who all will have top grades!

Regarding your subjects, your HL subjects do not seem geared towards a geography course at uni. Okay, you cannot take geography at your school but possibly you could take history HL instead of math HL? I'm sure you won't need math HL for geography, although it could be useful in keeping options open for other subjects. Does your school offer Environmental Systems and Societies? This is a kind of 'mix' of biology and geography so if your school offers it, it might be worth taking as an SL course. But if your heart is set on these subjects of course you should take them :)

Good luck! (:

• Like 1

I'm afraid your subjects are not geographical enough - it makes more sense to see History and Econ HL than Chem, Phy, Maths HL. looks like you're going into the sciences instead. or maybe it's just my impression, idk, but anyway.. what's important is that you take subjects on which you can score well because they need a high total point. you should also make sure you enjoy those subjects so the IB would seem less painful.

fulfilling the requirements and with great personal statement, reference and entrance test result (if any) will most likely get you an interview. if your performance in the interview is good enough you'll get a place.

FYI, I applied for Computer Science with very little background knowledge, not taking it in IB now, but I mentioned in my personal statement that it's not offered at my school that's why I'm not taking it. I managed to get a place at several other top notch universities, but at Oxford (I applied for Maths&CS) I only managed to get in for Maths. this is because of my poor performance in the CS interview. so I'd advise you to self study geography so you at least have some background knowledge on it that you can answer their questions. otherwise you'll only screw up.

• Like 1

Swedish lit SL

Spanish B HL

History SL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Maths HL

It's best to contact the admissions at Cambridge and ask, but from what you said it doesn't seem like not having geography should be an enormous problem. And it's not your fault that your school does not offer geography. But I think you could benefit from self-studying some geography - for example buying some books on geography.

Just meeting the entrance requirements is not going to get you into Cambridge (or any other top uni). I applied to Oxford this year for Spanish and Linguistics and am predicted 39 points (766 at HL) and was rejected because of my bad entrance test and interview. Most people that apply will meet the entrance requirements, so you need to stand out with an amazing personal statement, and you need to do really well on your interview. You say you are starting IB after the summer so you still have a lot of time, but I really recommend that you use this time wisely. Use this summer to start reading around your subject, so that you can show a genuine interest in both your PS and the interview. Maybe you can even get some work experience, or do CAS activities related to your subject (although this is not necessary, I think it will make you stand out). As you come to the end of the first half of your first year in IB, start thinking of things to put in your PS and if you can visit a couple of the Cambridge colleges on the open days so that you can pick a college you really like. Basically it is all about making yourself stand out from the crowd, who all will have top grades!

Regarding your subjects, your HL subjects do not seem geared towards a geography course at uni. Okay, you cannot take geography at your school but possibly you could take history HL instead of math HL? I'm sure you won't need math HL for geography, although it could be useful in keeping options open for other subjects. Does your school offer Environmental Systems and Societies? This is a kind of 'mix' of biology and geography so if your school offers it, it might be worth taking as an SL course. But if your heart is set on these subjects of course you should take them :)

Good luck! (:

Thank you! Well, I'm very interested in Maths so I think I'll stay with it ^^ I like history, but maths is definitely more fun (according to me, ofc) :D

• 3 weeks later...

What other than grades does Oxford look for in a potential student?

What qualities does it pinpoint as vital?

Do extracurriculars matter as much, and does being a leader have weight on your application (e.g. if you've been a leader for most of your academic career).. do these things matter in your application?

Also, does being a legacy matter to UK Universities as much as it matters to those in the US?

I assume enthusiasm for the subject so reading round a little bit.

Do extracurriculars matter as much, and does being a leader have weight on your application (e.g. if you've been a leader for most of your academic career).. do these things matter in your application?

No. Unless you're doing medicine, which you aren't so no.

Also, does being a legacy matter to UK Universities as much as it matters to those in the US?

Do you mean like parents that have gone to university before? No, not so much. If you're parents haven't been to university before you might have a slight advantage. But it's mainly grades and enthusiasm.

Edited by Award Winning Boss

• 2 months later...

Agree with above poster: enthusiasm. Need to be able to demonstrate this in your personal statement. Some experience in related field is preferable I guess (for example working experience or debating for Law).

Extracurriculars are not helpful unless you can draw how they could help you succeed in the course you're applying for (the skills etc)

And no it doesn't at all.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I know a similar question has been asked before, but still:

Having gotten my IB results (40) and taking a gap year I'm currently thinking about where to apply. I want to study Aeronautical engineering, preferably in the UK. Cambridge offers a very nice course but since I only have 766 at HL with a 6 being in Math HL, I'm kind of worried about getting in. Is there still a chance of getting accepted? I have the exact same problem at my other preference - ICL..

Thanks in advance!

One college (King's) gives quite low IB offers - 38 points with 766 at HL so if your interview went well you could be accepted. At other colleges it's 40-42 points with 776/777 at Hl, so if you're not willing to retake any exams, then King's is your only option at Cambridge. On the other hand, even at King's they may specify that the 7 is in Maths (they don't have to, my offer from a different college was 776 in Maths, Physics and Chemistry in any order but sometimes it's specified) and in that case unfortunately they wouldn't take you. I would advise you to do some research about standard offers King's gives for engineering or even email them directly. If they don't specify the grades then it's the interview that will decide about everything.

Edited by pokerface

• 1 month later...

I am considering applying to Cambridge for history starting in 2013, and I would like to ask you if you think that they will realistically consider me with a 5 in HL Chem.

My school didn't offer any other science choices, and I absolutely hate Chem... :guilty:

My predicted marks are in the signature (41 total).

it might be difficult especially since their standard offer is 766 - 777.

however make up your mind soon. the deadline for application is in 9 days.

Hey,

I got my invitation to the interview in Shanghai a couple days ago :D

Does anyone know what the Essay Test is about? I have been trying to find information on it but have found close to nothing online. The Cambridge website doesn't really give away much either. All I know is that there will be 3 questions to chose from and that they give 30 minutes time for it.

I am really sorry if this has been asked before.

Are you required to do Biology in order to study Medicine at Oxbridge? They do not state the required HL subjects on their websites...

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/medicine/medicine_entrance.html

IB: 39 (including core points) with 7, 6, 6 at HL

Candidates are required to take Chemistry and a second science (Biology or Physics) and/or Mathematics to Higher Level.

Here you go. :) Oxford entrance requirements.