The Oxbridge Guide

Abu

If they like the look of your grades/subjects/personal statement then all of those people they like will be interviewed, yep. Nobody goes straight in without having had an interview. If it consoles you, it's policy at several Universities other than Oxbridge too!

• Like 1

Desy, I believe you can either choose to fly there for your interviews if you can afford it and want to see the city, or they'll arrange to interview you online (through Skype or something similar). I haven't really heard of anyone being accepted with no interview - I suppose it might be possible in exceptional circumstances but very very rare because the interview is such an integral part of the process.

• Like 1

As said above, in order to get in, you must be interviewed (I don't know if there are any extreme cases where they wouldn't, but its safe to asssume that there aren't).

If you're from Europe, chances are that you will have to fly to England and have your interview at Cambridge or Oxford. I don't know if it is possible to arrange for a skype interview, might be possible, but not sure. With extra-European students they tend to have interviews at specific locations, for example Singapore, or Hong Kong (just examples, don't know precisely), as opposed to the interviewers flying around the world after individual applicants.

• Like 1

As said above, in order to get in, you must be interviewed (I don't know if there are any extreme cases where they wouldn't, but its safe to asssume that there aren't).

If you're from Europe, chances are that you will have to fly to England and have your interview at Cambridge or Oxford. I don't know if it is possible to arrange for a skype interview, might be possible, but not sure. With extra-European students they tend to have interviews at specific locations, for example Singapore, or Hong Kong (just examples, don't know precisely), as opposed to the interviewers flying around the world after individual applicants.

Just to be a bit more specific:

If you're living outside the EU region, you will most likely be interviewed via Skype for Oxford. In the case of Cambridge, if you apply before an earlier date (I believe 20th September), then you can be interviewed in certain locations such as Singapore and Hong Kong by the admissions tutors in person.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to apply to Oxford, for Computer Science. read this in their prospectus:

CS:

Intake: 19

Applications shortlisted for interview: 58.6%

Successful applications: 15.0%

what does 'Intake' represent? as you all know Oxford has a lot of colleges, right? is 19 the number of students accepted in EACH college, or is that the total number? or maybe average? because it's a crazily small number! successful applications are only 15%. can anyone help make this clear? thanks!

Yes, intake is the total number of people admitted each year across all colleges - what this means in practice is that each college will probably only have a maximum of two students in every year studying CS, and some may not accept any students for it at all :)

• Like 2

:argh::panic: I can't imagine having a class of 2 people only in a big big university like Oxford.

if we choose to live on campus, will we have to move room every year or can we stay in the same room for the whole 3 or 4 years?

Haha well you'll have two-to-one or one-to-one tutorials regardless of class size and in lectures pretty much everyone will be present I suppose!

At least in my college we need to move rooms every year, although you need to move out of your room (and in all likelihood take most of your stuff home) for the summer in any case :)

• Like 1

thank you Cynthia. you know I'm going to have A LOT of questions :P

what about the offers? let's say the minimum grades they mention in the website is 38. if my predicted grade (out of 45) is x, where x>=38, if I get a conditional offer, are they likely to require you to score higher than x, or just x?

That's alright, I don't mind answering Oxbridge stuff... haha I was actually thinking of letting my IBCO know that any applicants in the next couple of years should get in contact with me if they have any questions :D

I think it's very possible that they'll require you to score higher than your predicted grade by a couple of points. I don't think anyone knows exactly how they determine the actual level of the offer, but as you probably know already it's always 38-40 points with 766 in HL subjects. So if you're predicted 38 they might still give you a conditional offer of 40 points. It might have to do with college, subject, and your level as an applicant, but apparently deselection is done at the interview stage so they'll give you offers they fully expect you to meet :) Also, I suspect most candidates will be predicted 40+ points, although the actual predictions are quite irrelevant when it comes to deselection.

• Like 1

you are awesome XD

hmmm if one's total predicted grade is 42 (maybe...some very intelligent person :P) is Oxford likely to expect higher, still?

hmmm I have a doubt. from the information I found in the prospectus and website, if we study a major for 3 years, we'll get a Bachelor degree. if we study it for one more year, we'll get a Masters degree. is this true? because I thought we'd have to get our Bachelor first before taking Masters (or have I always had a wrong perception on this? -.-)? or is Oxford a special uni?

@Desy; no, they won't offer higher than 40 points :) I think there's sometimes that kind of a system for science-y courses in UK universities when it comes to Masters degrees but yes usually it goes as you outlined.

@why bother; I haven't heard of this and to be honest would be very surprised if they lowered their standard offer (38-40 with 766 HL) especially when Cambridge has such ridiculously high offers at times.

• Like 1

whew no higher than 40 is reassuring!

hmmm so then I better go for Masters... <_< there is only 1 year difference lol

@why bother: that is a good news! I hope that is true. would be really awesome!

oh and when I apply through UCAS, if I choose to indicate the college, can I only choose one college? if I choose one, let's say then I choose Oriel, if I'm rejected, is there any chance for an offer from a different college?

Yes, you can only indicate one college, but during your interviews you might be sent into another college so that they can consider you if your original college has too many good candidates (for some subjects this is done automatically - not sure if it's the case for CS). Basically the general consensus seems to be that regardless of an applicant's college choice they'll get in if they're good enough :)

• Like 2

Hey guys, I had a man form Oxford doing a talk in my college last week and he said that Oxford are probably going to be lowering their requirements for the IB.

Has anyone else herd anything on this? And if that's true does anyone know where Cambridge stands?

I actually think the opposite would happen especially seeing as they have introduced A*AA offers for many of their courses from 2012 entry onwards. Cambridge are nonsensical with IB offers -_- they are however slightly more lenient about missing offers (probably because they have unreasonable conditions)

Guest Soiboist

does the PS form on UCAS have any word limit or line limit or character limit or any limit at all?

"You can enter up to 4,000 characters (this includes spaces) or 47 lines of text (this includes blank lines), whichever comes first."

From the UCAS website.

• Like 1