Subjects for studying Computer Science

THE SLAYER

I have taken Math SL,and recently got a 7 in my first year exams.But is taking a Math SL good enough for studying Computer Science in Universities in the US.Should I shift to a Math HL where the highest in the class was a 5?Is a Math SL good enough for Ivy leagues or Universities at that level?

I have taken Math SL,and recently got a 7 in my first year exams.But is taking a Math SL good enough for studying Computer Science in Universities in the US.Should I shift to a Math HL where the highest in the class was a 5?Is a Math SL good enough for Ivy leagues or Universities at that level?

Look, Ivy Leagues are hard to get into. Harvard has a like 1% acceptance. Grades are important, but other stuff is just as important to them. You could have a 45, awesome extra curriculars and if you **** up your essay, you'll get rejected. So first up, check it out if you really have a chance of getting in. Not trying to be discouraging or mean or something, but thats the truth. 

Next, why dont you run a search on the college websites? Honestly, you should do some research yourself, because frankly, I don't think people have the time to be searching colleges for you. Next, honestly, I don't think getting a 5 is a good idea. The absolute max you can get then is like 43, and frankly, I saw on Google that the average IB score at MIT is 44, so your already on a backfoot. That being said, I'm not entirely sure Math SL will let you study Comp sciences. 

Take a look at this thread, its old but might be helpful.

So does this make any sense? I haven't really done much research for you, but I guess this seems right. Also a quick google search did show most students taking Math HL for Comp Sciences, but I didn't validate. Best thing you can do (in my opinion) is just go to the websites and take a look at the entry requirements.

Cheers,

King112

• Like 1