Math SL/HL for CompSci?

KaranKanwar

Hi,

Sorry to add another SL/HL topic to the forums, but I'm quite confused!

I'm not incredibly good at math, I'm relatively average - yet I plan on studying computer science at University, and I have been a programmer in languages that require a mathematical/pragmatic mindset since I was 10 years old, I'm now 15, yay.

My worry, is that I plan to apply to a university, that kinda really prefers Math HL (MIT), and Math is literally the only subject in which I don't have an A in, at the moment. Though I now have a tutor (started last week) and am redoing my entire textbook, so hopefully that will change with practice.

Assuming I take Math SL, and get a high grade, versus taking Math HL and get a low-average, would it make more sense to take SL or HL if I wanted to get in to a university exactly like MIT?

The way I see it right now [from assumption]:

HL = Low/Average grade, credit for putting in the effort, tried my best

SL = High grade, it's said to be far easier than HL, It's still SL.

Also, is Math HL actually that hard? It seems to be pretty exaggerated at my school, on these forums, and everywhere! haha.

Thank you! :D

well you said you can't get an A but you still think people exaggerate its difficulty? :blink: it is indeed difficult, man. have you done a past paper? try one and see the types of questions that come up.

I've applied for Computer Science too to universities in the UK and all of them require Maths HL. if you want you can check the spoiler in my sig, they all want a 7 or a 6 in Maths HL. I know you intend to go to the US where they don't particularly require you to take certain IB subjects, but I still think that your IB subjects don't only have to fulfill your future uni requirements BUT also give you enough background knowledge to excel at uni.

I still suggest you to stay at Maths HL because AFAIK a Comp Sci course will have some, or a lot of Maths modules. and believe me, taking Maths HL would help you A LOT in those modules. too bad I'm still in IB2 so I can't share how necessary it is to have a Maths HL background if you go into Comp Sci, but if I end up studying CS (though I hope not because I wanna study Maths instead atm :P) then we can talk next year.

go get your tutors, or get other textbooks. which one are you currently using? maybe we could suggest you better textbooks to help you study.

I saw your sig btw, I suggest you to drop Business down to SL because it won't be useful or helpful at all in uni for many reasons, one of which is that it's a soft subject, another one is that it's not related to CS.

I suggest you to take Econ instead of Business if you like, but well it doesn't really matter.

and drop English down to SL because having CS, Physics and Maths at HL is torturing enough you don't need another HL.

good luck with your choices!

Hi Desy Glau :)

Thanks for your response :) My sig is relatively un-updated, hehe. I've already pulled down English to SL - our school only allows 3 :( With the business, I don't see it as a useful subject, but it's a fun subject, but I guess I'd rather switch it with Math HL.

The exaggeration question was not my interpretation, I assume it's hard, as described by everyone! haha. Also I'm currently a GCSE student, I have yet to start the IB (next year), so I haven't done any past papers yet, lol!

Never the less, thanks for your response, I'm really considering Math HL, but I have to justify my ability to get an A at GCSE, lol :S that's going to be.. hard. Haha.

Thanks! :)

That part I understand, but I've got a tutor who's literally brilliant. I jumped from C to A on 2 pastpapers in a week of her classes! Next year, I will get the same help, so I assume all will go well! Also, as Desy Glau mentioned, in the UK HL Mathematics is require for admittance, I can use that to justify taking HL Math even if I don't meet the requirement, and hopefully improve from there :D

Right now, still wondering whether it'd be a good idea to sacrifice IB points to demonstrate my ability to want to try something harder that I know will only be beneficial. For my target school, MIT, that would be a great idea, for another, it's plain stupid. Then again, the concept sticks, relatively, in the top tier schools. :S

Thanks for your response, Award Winning Boss :P

are you taking GCSE Maths? uhh I'm not sure if they have this in GCSE, but I took Additional Maths in IGCSE and it was very helpful. it's more difficult than just Maths but it helped in Maths HL to give the basics of calculus and matrices.

I think you would be able to do it though. I mean if you've jumped from a C to an A then you have the capabilities but you just need to work harder / practise more.

MIT is insanely hard to get into (espicially for internationals). You should take HL to boost your chances. IMO, even if it means sacrificing a higher grade in Math SL.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, Thanks alot, Parahydroxyamphetamine! :)

are you taking GCSE Maths? uhh I'm not sure if they have this in GCSE, but I took Additional Maths in IGCSE and it was very helpful. it's more difficult than just Maths but it helped in Maths HL to give the basics of calculus and matrices.

I think you would be able to do it though. I mean if you've jumped from a C to an A then you have the capabilities but you just need to work harder / practise more.

Ah yes, they don't have this in our school, but 'AdMaths' exists in other schools in Hong Kong, i've seen the syllabus and I thought it was all IB work there was stuff on differentiation, integrals, and other strange things i've never come across, haha. :S I will get an early start, either way, hopefully this means I get a bit better in the bargain.

Also I am doing IGCSE Math, but it's just IGCSE Math, there wasn't an AdMath option for us :'(

Edited by KaranKanwar