What's your IB School's Diploma Rate?

flsweetheart422

• 2 weeks later...

My school's rate is 9 / 11 so that's around 82% which is okay I guess. Out of every 10, 2 fail, so yea around 6 or 7 should be failing from my class? (Although I'm sure it's going to be more than that haha)

389/390 = 99.7%

Since the beginning of the IB programme at our school.

Some ******* failed M08. :F

Heard of a school where no single student has ever received a diploma :D

Wow! What's your school's name? 389 in how many years?

My school's rate is 9 / 11 so that's around 82% which is okay I guess. Out of every 10, 2 fail, so yea around 6 or 7 should be failing from my class? (Although I'm sure it's going to be more than that

Wow! What's your school's name? 389 in how many years?

M92 was the first time our school participated in IB final exams. About 25 students graduate each year. My school is Helsingin Suomalainen Yhteiskoulu in Helsinki, Finland.

I did a quick calculation of how many graduate each year and I got the exact same result, haha.

You guys must have really good teachers with such a passing rate, this would have been the 16th year for your school and only one failed out of 390!

Its weird that no one from your school failed in the first few years, that's usually the case. Mashallah.

Heard of a school where no single student has ever received a diploma :D

No comment... :D

Edited by Anonymouser

• 4 weeks later...

We have 99.7% since 1997, apparently, although the Diploma programme has been around at our school since 1994. (I just looked through the whole of the IB site for my school.) Only two people out of 729 did not get their Diplomas, which I guess is pretty good... It's funny that my year is the largest since 2001, with 76 candidates! The average has ranged between 34 and 39 since 1997, as well.

But I think my school's rate is pretty untrue. While the school can't kick you out, per se, there are numerous ways for the school to make sure that nobody goes through the programme who isn't expected to pass. There is the entrance test in Maths and English before you get offered a place, and then there's the PrIB year which determines which subjects you are allowed to take. (Grades range from 1 to 6, and you have to have a 5 or a 6 to be allowed to choose that subject at HL, except for Maths where you have to have a 6 for HL and 5+ for Methods.) After that there is continuous control of every student; if any teacher feels that a student isn't going to pass in a subject, the coordinator is notified and there are Serious Talks that may lead to quitting or switching subjects. Really many people quit between the years, both before IB1 and IB2, and there were quite a few subject changes before the start of IB2.

So it's not a very representative figure, in my opinion! If the control system (they called it a "safety net" at the information meeting in PrIB) hadn't been so rigorous, I'm sure people would be failing every year.

Does this kind of thing happen at other schools too? *curious*

Edited by Hyperbole

Does this kind of thing happen at other schools too? *curious*

Yeah, thats how I got allowed into Math HL, with a 6(i got all the questions right but didn't finish it in time :P). Basicaly at the end of grade 10, while all the grade 12 pass their IB, there is a test on all the MYP subjects you had(except for subjects like Art, DT or Drama). Also they only allow you to take a subject at HL only if the teacher you had in that subject says that you are able to. For subjects that you didn't have(e.g. Chem if you had Bio and Physics in the MYP) the coordinator took a look at your overall level and subjects linked to the one yo want to take and confirm.