How to study effectively for Math HL during the two years of IB?

maturk

Hellooooooo IB lads!

Do any of you IB survivors have any effective study methods for Math HL? I haven't started IB1 yet but I would really like to hear some study tips for doing well in math. I'm a real noob at studying and I would love to hear some of yall's study-methods. 

• Like 1

Hey man i feel ya,

Listen up. Math is math and i so happens to be the case in any syllabus whatsoever. However, it is to be noted that Math can and only can come with practice, that is unless you're a super genius. Whats more to practice is that it requires consistency. I mean you can't do it for just once or twice a week. The key is to keep practicing as often as you can. Spare at least half an hour a day just for math you'll be fine. A constant practice of math keeps our mind active and working and may benefit you in concentrating and learning other. Again, practice for at least for 30 min a day. Choose a topic at your own discretion. As they say, practice makes perfect. 

I hope this helps

• Like 1

Yes. Consistent practice on topics that you aren't good at is the key. In particular, make sure you know the big topics like Complex Numbers and Lines and Planes really really well.

As ajRooter said, if you're doing HL Maths you really should be spending at least half an hour extra every day if you want to do well. Do practice questions from your textbook, or get the IB question bank (expensive but a lot lot lot of questions)

• Like 1

Maths HL really comes down to practice. Firstly, start off by doing the textbook questions. Then, as you approach IB2, you should really be focussing on doing questionbank questions for the topics that you've covered. And when preparing for mock/final exams, full timed papers under exam conditions should be done and then you should read over markscheme/examiner comments to consolidate your understanding and check things that you don't understand. This is quite a short answer, but as has been mentioned a lot the essence to doing well in Maths HL is practice. :)

• Like 1

Consistent Practice - just do as many problems that you can get your hands on. 

I found it occasionally helpful to watch a few kahn academy or youtube videos to help me get a feel of an unfamiliar topic, but ultimately it will always come down to trying to solve questions, so just practice and practice. 

redo all the tests and stuff you do in class and are not 100% sure about

redo all the stuff that you are already 100% sure about to be even better at it :P

Study from the question bank and the past papers...

• Like 1