English Lang & Lit

Negotiation

How was it? I'm standard level.

I picked the OK! magazine text. It was relatively easy to analyze, though the lack of "proper" language made it hard to identify too many literary features, etc. However, there was definitely a lot on context.

In paper 2 most of my class picked the question on context, and challenging people's views. It's quite broad and allowed for a lot of relevant discussion. I ended up writing a lot on this paper. How much did you guys write?

• Like 1

I chose the text about Ben as well, but I'm worried that I did not analyse it very well.

Did not have a lot to comment on apart from his excitement through use of words like 'amazing' and 'incredible'.

Yep, I commented quite a bit on this too. He appeared overexcited, and talked about how it was the best thing to ever happen to him, haha.

I did the same one, I think it was easier than the second option.

I agree. Easier to understand, and more to comment on.

And there were no literary devices, in my opinion, since it was an interview rather than an originally written text.

Just out of interest, how many pages did you guys write on P1 and P2?

There were still some language features to discuss. Use of incorrect grammar ('literally' meaning figuratively, 'like, like, like...', etc.) and there was at least one idiom and a simile in there, but the latter was somewhat destroyed by the word 'literally'.

I wrote about 5 pages on paper 1 and 9 1/2 (full 8-page booklet and all but half a page of a 4-page one). How about you?

Now I am realising that there are a lot of things I missed out on :( I did say that the text is informal though, so I hope I will get a sufficient amount of marks, but I probably should have used more examples. I only wrote approximately 3 pages on both P1 and P2.

Paper 1 went well ish, also did the OK! one but apparently a lot of people did the speech, had lotsa devices. idk, I found the one by OK! to be nice, despite being slightly lacking in stylistic devs, his language made up for it imo.

Paper 2 I did q4, do means justify ends. not many people did that in our grade... but it fit perfectly, idk why not many did. q6 was apparently a question on power...? I didn't catch that, so I didn't pick it :( something about strengths and weaknesses

I also can no longer English! My grammar went out the window after I started working with numbers after English lol

Did anyone from lang-lit HL pick the paper 1 text about the relationship between fathers and their children? How did you find it?

Hey rpatel9,

I did pick that section, I thought it was alright since I didn't find it too difficult too compare and contrast the two texts. Identifying and analyzing the linguistic/stylistic features was a different story though. I don't know whether there are a limited number of them or just that I failed to find them. Overall, Paper 1 was a 'meh' for me, expecting neither a good or bad mark.

By the way, which question did you pick for your Paper 2? I chose number 3; the one with plays being staged, poems being read aloud and books being turned to movies. Anyone else chose the question, maybe we could perhaps discuss it together?

• Like 1

Did anyone from lang-lit HL pick the paper 1 text about the relationship between fathers and their children? How did you find it?

Hey rpatel9,

I did pick that section, I thought it was alright since I didn't find it too difficult too compare and contrast the two texts. Identifying and analyzing the linguistic/stylistic features was a different story though. I don't know whether there are a limited number of them or just that I failed to find them. Overall, Paper 1 was a 'meh' for me, expecting neither a good or bad mark.

By the way, which question did you pick for your Paper 2? I chose number 3; the one with plays being staged, poems being read aloud and books being turned to movies. Anyone else chose the question, maybe we could perhaps discuss it together?

Ah ok , yeah there weren't that many of the usual stylistic features. I think it was cause the text types were pretty unusual but overall i thought it went well.

For paper 2 i did question 6. I don't think discussing p2 is going to benefit you though because pretty much everyone is doing different texts, so you'll just get worried over having different points haha

I picked the second text that was a speech from a lecture by William Morris. At first, it threw me off guard because it struck me as difficult, but I re-read it thrice and I found out there was A LOT to say.

All of my classmates in SL except for one picked the OK! magazine one.

I think I wrote 5 pages.

On Paper 2, I picked Q6, the one about strength and weakness, and claimed how it often is represented by the social status of characters (novels Things fall apart and God of small things). I think I wrote about 7 to 8 pages there.

Overall, I am content with how English went.

Edited by Maks123456

I take HL and I chose the first text with the poem and the article for paper 1 and I chose question 6 (the one with strength and weakness) for paper 2. I wrote 4 pages on paper 1 and 7-8 on paper 2. I was first worried that I didn't write that much on paper 1, but I hope it will be alright.

Oh damn... so is it just me who mentioned Irony and Allusion in SL paper 1 OK! Magazine?.... I'm so screwed....

Doesn't sound bad! If you had ideas no one else did you could stand out :D but where did you find irony and allusion? I didn't see either...

Oh damn... so is it just me who mentioned Irony and Allusion in SL paper 1 OK! Magazine?.... I'm so screwed....

Doesn't sound bad! If you had ideas no one else did you could stand out :D but where did you find irony and allusion? I didn't see either...

Umm.. I thought the allusion was pretty obvious, but I wasn't sure if it was admissible because it was Ben who mentioned it: "The big chief, The Big Brother" in the magazine to the Big Brother from 1984 George Orwell.

And I thought the Irony came from the second half of the text where Ben started to get excited about two other celebrities when in fact he should be the center of attention, and that he didn't have the choice to wear what he wanted.

I really don't know....

Umm.. I thought the allusion was pretty obvious, but I wasn't sure if it was admissible because it was Ben who mentioned it: "The big chief, The Big Brother" in the magazine to the Big Brother from 1984 George Orwell.

And I thought the Irony came from the second half of the text where Ben started to get excited about two other celebrities when in fact he should be the center of attention, and that he didn't have the choice to wear what he wanted.

I really don't know....

It was referring to the reality TV show Big Brother, but I guess it's still an indirect allusion to 1984.

I'm SL and did the William Morris text on Paper 1 and Question 6 (Strengths and Weaknesses) in Paper 2, on A Streetcar Named Desire and Medea

Hey rpatel9,

Ah ok , yeah there weren't that many of the usual stylistic features. I think it was cause the text types were pretty unusual but overall i thought it went well.

For paper 2 i did question 6. I don't think discussing p2 is going to benefit you though because pretty much everyone is doing different texts, so you'll just get worried over having different points haha

I picked section B in paper one as well, and so did most of my class. For the literary features, I talked about the extended metaphor in text two (cause its basically all representing their real life relationship) and the diction used to reinforce the financial jargon.

For paper 2 I did the second question. It was by far the easiest for me, and it was so broad that I could talk about all of my texts. I wrote 7 pages :)

Hey rpatel9,

I picked section B in paper one as well, and so did most of my class. For the literary features, I talked about the extended metaphor in text two (cause its basically all representing their real life relationship) and the diction used to reinforce the financial jargon.

For paper 2 I did the second question. It was by far the easiest for me, and it was so broad that I could talk about all of my texts. I wrote 7 pages :)

I picked Section B as well, and it seems that most of my classmates have as well! I talked a bit more about the visual side as well, since these two weren't what you'd call all prose texts- visuals make up the most of these.

I did question 6 for my texts as my texts are plays which cover societies in flux, and so it fits. Wrote about 7 pages for P1 and 8 pages for P2.... feeling okay about it, actually. Could've gone worse!

Hey rpatel9,

I picked Section B as well, and it seems that most of my classmates have as well! I talked a bit more about the visual side as well, since these two weren't what you'd call all prose texts- visuals make up the most of these.

I did question 6 for my texts as my texts are plays which cover societies in flux, and so it fits. Wrote about 7 pages for P1 and 8 pages for P2.... feeling okay about it, actually. Could've gone worse!

Even I did Section B. Everybody in my class seemed to have picked that. I talked about how father-daughter relationship and the finance stuff as well as the images in both texts and the extended metaphor. I think I wrote about 7 pages for that one.

For paper 2 I picked the one about the end justifying the means. I know that most people in my class picked the success and weaknesses one, but I thought I could do more with that one. I wrote about the same for paper 2. I just hope that my papers were enough to pull up my FOA grade. I need at least a 6 for uni.