I just selected my topic for Math IA after fifteen min or so look at the list presented in my book: predicting a solar ellipse sounds to me the most interesting of all. My question is whether it is sophisticated enough for a HL IA ? And is there enough and appropriate level of math that a 11th grader would understand?

Don't take my word 100% for it, but I would advise you against picking one directly from the list. You are graded quite heavily on personal engagement, and picking one of the list doesn't really set you off for a good start. Just my $0.02.

I know that picking a topic sucks though. What I did was starting from the other end. I went on wikipedia and looked up different pattern theorems, and tried to link them to a concept I enjoy. That was quite successful for me.

• Like 1

I just selected my topic for Math IA after fifteen min or so look at the list presented in my book: predicting a solar ellipse sounds to me the most interesting of all. My question is whether it is sophisticated enough for a HL IA ? And is there enough and appropriate level of math that a 11th grader would understand?

I think it's fine to choose a topic from a book list - the personal engagement will be in how you personalise that particular topic and make it your own. I'm sure there's some interesting maths related to solar eclipses - and if it's too simplistic, well you can always introduce some analysis on orbital paths etc. etc. to beef it up...

• Like 1