I know that if I am multiplying/dividing my answer is the least number of significant figure in the data and if I am adding/subtracting my answer is the least number of decimal places i the data but what if I have a constant for example:

If I want to find the average of the data so I'm going to add them then divide by the number of data:

3.05*2.05*1.05/3= 2 or 2.19

will the answer be one significant figure because of the three even if the three is not part of the data or will the answer be 3 significant figures as this is the least number if significant figures in the data being calculated.

First you multiply the 3 numbers. 3.05 * 2.05 ( 3 sig fig. each ) = 6.25 ( retaining 3 sig figures ) . 6.25 * 1.05 = 6.56 ( 3 Sig figures ) . Now, 6.56 / 3 = ?? Note that 6.56 has 3 significant figures and 3 has infinite sig. figures since it is a pure number. 3 is NOT an approximation, it is simply being used for division, it can be infinitely accurate ( 3.00000000000000000000000000000000......) . Therefore, during division, there should be 3 significant figures. 6.56/3 = 2.19 ( rounding off 2.186 to 2.19) .

If you still didnt get the point, watch this :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5u5IlYWcg .

Nice Question though :D