Buzzi

Is there any point in me applying to cambridge (or maybe oxford, but I would prefer cambridge) with my results as detailed below? Or are my grades just too low? Also which of these Uni's courses would I have best chance of getting into with my subject combo?

Original IB grades:

(Achieved May 3013, before retakes)

HL English 6

HL physics 4

HL art 6

SL psychology 6

SL maths 4

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 0

Total 32/45

Final IB grades:

(After retaking physics, maths and core in november 2013)

HL English 6

HL physics 7

HL visual arts 6

SL maths 6

SL psychology 6

SL Spanish ab initio 7

Core 3

Total 41/45

(At GCSE I got 5 A*'s 2 A's and a B)

So is it worth applying????

You won't know unless you try. So atleast apply. Some of my friends have gotten into Oxbridge with similar grades. And 41 is actually pretty good. Oxbridge mainly looks at your +2 grades, so you don't have to worry about your GCSEs.

But before applying check individual course requirements for both Oxford and Cambridge. If you meet the basic requirement criteria, there is no harm in trying. Make yoru Personal Statement strong so you'll have a well-rounded application. If you get selected it all depends o your interview and written exam (+TSAs).

Best of Luck!

What course?

I think you may have a better chance if you apply to Oxford, quite a few colleges at Cambridge generally requires a 776 at HL depending on the course. Oxford on the other hand tends to require a lower IB score overall, mainly as they look at GCSE's, which you seem to have scored pretty well at.

Since you have 5 choices, I think it's worth a try - there's no harm in applying and giving it a shot. The fact that you took a retake and your 2-year gap may put you at a disadvantage (I'm not really sure how they would view it, to be honest), but your scores are pretty good.

By the way, there's a admissions tutor from Cambridge on TSR who is answering various questions about applying there. It might be worth asking him there,

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2609765

• Like 1

I can't really speak for any other country than Denmark but maybe this applies to other countries; Danish universities really look down on retake diplomas and if you apply to uni's here with the new diploma they can tell (I think there is an R somewhere on the diploma) and they seem to deem it invalid and ask you to send the original one (maybe they still take the retake grades into consideration, but at the very least they demand to see the original grades). I was one mark away from a 7 in Danish and Math and opted out of retaking the subjects (also because I didn't truly need the extra two points). I don't really know if this applies elsewhere and I was shocked when I found out.

That is a great achievement to go from 32 to 41. I just have to say congratulations! One question (or more): What is core? Did it feel easier when retaking the exams? (did you feel more prepared because you know the "drill") And when you retake does the "value" of the grade become lower, i mean do the universities look down on the grades just because some exams has been retaken?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm curious ;)

If you have extenuating circumstances to explain the retake then you're fine, as Oxford's typical requirements are 38-40 and Cambridge's are 40-42, the 766 can be a problem though.

Also the subject combination is strange which might make there less options, do check the course requirements before you apply.